Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Looking For Time

That's quite a haul over the past year. I like the Westy.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are my current vintage TV sets:
1946 RCA Victor 621TS:

1946 RCA Victor 630TS:

1948 Motorola VT-71:

1948 GE 800:

1949 Pilot Radio TV-37:

1956 RCA Victor 8PT-7032:

1957 Admiral T-103:

1958 RCA Victor Deluxe:

1958 Tele-O-Master 8T-58:

1959 Philco Predicta "Debutante":

1959 Philco Safari:

1959 Philco Seventeener III:

Last edited by decojoe67; 10-27-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

[QUOTE=decojoe67;3063215]Here are my current vintage TV sets:
Ahhh HATE Yew...-Yosemite Sam, Esq.... Seriously, THAT is a collection I'd give my EYETEETH for...(grin)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Sandy G;3063217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Here are my current vintage TV sets:
Ahhh HATE Yew...-Yosemite Sam, Esq.... Seriously, THAT is a collection I'd give my EYETEETH for...(grin)
Thank you. I've been into the vintage radio/TV hobby since my early teens. My interest in the history and the sets themselves only grows as I get older. The collection has constantly evolved through the years - selling and trading due to space limitations. I once had about 12 vintage TV's, mostly early post-war 7 incher's. Now I have mostly 1930's radios - displayed with lots of art-deco items!
Joe
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Dumont Doghouse RA-103 ready for (final?) assembly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doghouse.jpg (95.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Dumont Doghouse chassis.jpg (67.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by brianweber4; 06-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Brian,

Beautiful restoration. Great addition to your collection.

-Steve D.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Picked up a Craigslist 58 RCA portable

I just returned from a short road trip to pick up this two tone RCA 17", 17-PD-8096 I think it is, I already have one just like this but for $40 with a stand I couldn't pass it up.

It was about 100 miles round trip including a couple side trips for lunch and Coffee, the home was a 5500 sq ft mini-mansion in a gated community in Chino, A million dollars if it's a penny. even in So Cal that's a nice house.

Anyway, the set is in decent shape and came with an age appropriate stand, not an RCA part but perfect for the set, it's missing one small knob and the gold V emblem on top is broken but I may have a knob and I do have a V so that's not a big problem.

Powered it up and the tubes light but it's totally dead otherwise, no sound or light.

I'll pull the back and check the CRT next but even if it's bad I have a NOS spare for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca17whtyblu2.jpg (32.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg rca17whtyblu2side.jpg (23.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post

I'll pull the back and check the CRT next but even if it's bad I have a NOS spare for it.
Good news, the CRT checks like new!

This is a series string set with an 8.4 volt CRT, my luck withe them has been 50/50 but this one checks 95/100, even with the heater reduced to less than 6 volts it stays at 95! Cutoff is good too.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good going Eric,

Looks like a nice clean example w/a good crt. And ez to transport. That knob should be fairly easy to find, although that is not a common color.

-Steve D.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Good going Eric,

Looks like a nice clean example w/a good crt. And ez to transport.

-Steve D.
I just had to tell this story if I haven't before about transporting one of these. As a latch key kid I was put on an airplane every summer to spend time with my mom. One summer around 1981 I found one of these while yard sale hunting with my mom down in Alabama. I think I gave $5 for the almost mint working set. Almost meaning that it had a tendency to get vertical roll.

In those days 50s sets were quite common and sort of considered junk for the most part. But this space age rocketship design to me was 'over the top' and I loved it. So I could not allow myself to be separated from it upon going back to old Virginnie. So on the day of my flight home I carried that RCA right on that plane! There was even enough room in the area above the seat to hold it! I sure did, and I remember someone helping me get the thing up on the cargo shelf and oddly I don't remember getting any hairy eyeball looks. Of course in those days I think people still didn't look at television as some sort of birthright; actually it was still more of a small investment worth repairing. Certainly not a throw away item; not yet. And for sure we didn't carry them around in our pockets like everyone is doing these days.

Anyway, in today's paranoid air terrorism scene I just bet this scenario would raise every red flag in the book in an airport. Heck, the security people probably wouldn't know that it's a TV first off. Just the built in rabbit ears would certainly be the makings of a bomb and rightly so. You could probably make a deadly weapon out of an old set in a hundred ways. Seems I didn't keep the set very long and it developed bad sync issues and at that young age I was pretty much limited to drug store trips to test tubes. It wasn't a tube so I think I took the set apart for practice. A lot of now great sets were donated to me self educating in a doomed career path.....
Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess I was lucky, the last TV that I bought ( a 1957 8 inch metal portable ) I brought with me in an airplane. The airport people were nice enough to me to recognize that it was safer, for the TV, to be transported with me in the passenger area than in the cargo compartment.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, that was the basic idea for me carrying mine. Hey. it was called a portable!!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's be-yooooooouti-ful! (And a ways down the road, restoration wise). Gift from another VK'r..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teevee.jpg (81.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
It's be-yooooooouti-ful! (And a ways down the road, restoration wise). Gift from another VK'r..
I really love that Hallicrafters.

Here are the B&W sets I have at home, I'll have to wait for a 'color set' thread to show the others

This one sits on the workbench. I finished recapping it a few weeks ago and have not found another suitable place for it.

GE Locomotive, Crosley, RCA, and GE portable on top of an Admiral.

'53 Motorola in the bedroom. This one gets nightly exercise when Alfred hits the air at 11.

The equipment tower was a piece that my father built in 1977. He came home from working offshore and bought a brand new 19" Sony Trinitron TV (to the tune of nearly $3000 at that time.) This was built to house his turntable, stereo receiver, TV, and record collection, along with a pullout drawer for his top-loading VCR. Over the years to TV area was hollowed out larger and larger as my family got larger sets and finally I ended up with it. The Moto was a perfect fit..... after hollowing it out one further, final time.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

StellarTV, what a beautiful collection!
Audiokarma