Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Biggest hit and miss engine I have ever seen

Went exploring with my sons in the woods down by the PA border over the weekend, and on the trail is an old pump house for oil wells that fell down decades ago. The oil fields in these hills haven't been worked in about the same time. With a metal detector, we found a NY license plate from 1935.

This is an old Reid oil field hit and miss engine that drove a pump shaft with a gigantic flat belt that's about 50 feet in circumference. I'd have to say that each flywheel must weigh half a ton. You can see from the broken crankshaft how it met its end. If I owned this land, I would HAVE to try to get this engine working somehow. I think my wife's uncle may own the land that it's on, but I'm not sure....

Anyhoo, take a look at these pics! This engine must have been a sight to behold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4382.jpg (63.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4385.jpg (80.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4386.jpg (70.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4387.jpg (66.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What an incredible shame...It would cost a MINT to fix, but to me, it would STILL be worth it..

Last edited by Sandy G; 06-30-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's pretty cool.

I can't believe some scrapper hasn't stolen it yet. Around here, there can be NO metal sitting outside, or some heroine-addicted scrapper will steal it. They caught two guys stealing mausoleum doors at the cemetery just the other day...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Administrator

This is WAY out in hill country, and about a mile and a half into the woods and up a hill, down a path cut just wide enough for an ATV. Anyone who could haul this sucker out of the woods deserves an award. If it was an easier haul, I'd bring it down myself and restore it!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
That's pretty cool.

I can't believe some scrapper hasn't stolen it yet. Around here, there can be NO metal sitting outside, or some heroine-addicted scrapper will steal it. They caught two guys stealing mausoleum doors at the cemetery just the other day...
To be fair cast-iron goes by the hundredweight, and something that big you spend more in acetylene to bring it to the scrapyard...
Audiokarma
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Imagine the wheelies possible with one of these things fitted to a combine.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Imagine the wheelies possible with one of these things fitted to a combine.
I'd pay a dollar to see that!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

We have our "Heritage Days" festival 2nd weekend in October, there's a guy who sometimes shows up w/a flatbed trailer that he has a dozen or so "L'il Fellers" mounted on. REAL neat when they're all running..
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

those are fun to see run, Some of the old farm equipment shows have them , I've seen some that needed a custom trailer to haul them to the show. For really big single cylinder engines, check out this the engine show in Rollag , MN. They have one that is supposedly the biggest single cylinder open crank engine in the world, built for the 1904 World's fair.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd kind of like to have a small hit-or-miss someday. The local thresherman's show was today with the usual array of neat stuff. There was one guy with a running tabletop model of a Reid oilfield engine. I really like to see an old engine at work (not just sitting there idling) and several folks had such displays. One was running a lathe off a hit-or-miss (and was doing woodwork while people watched), another had one running a corn sheller, a second engine running a corn grader and a third running a grinder. The best was a guy with a smooth running John Deere hit-or-miss running tandem ice cream makers, with his family selling the finished product next door.