Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Not sure how I got here.

yah, 4V's had smaller primaries and supposedly used less gas, as long as all the gaskets were good, no leaks etc. Most computer carbs were better than FI because they were simple and for the most part just routed engine vacuum to the fuel bowel. As long as you understood what was going on with the different designs, and kept them clean and adjusted they were great......

The captain is right though, you're not going to get 29, and as long as it does what you want, it's basically payin' you by starting when you want it to...
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Economy wise, the Q-jet is a pretty good carb. I need to learn how to tune the one in my old Impala...it's close to right. The car starts better than it ever did before but bogs on acceleration. I'm not usually in that big a hurry, though!

I run hot and cold on the van, and right now am leaning against it. He is asking $5k but told me if I was interested that figure is highly negotiable. A lot depends on just how negotiable it is. Lots of good advice here, on both sides, and it is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do..... I did a little looking and asked the wizard of oz and came up with no real major things on that engine....

Wickipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine has a few items that show up with age, crank problems, and head cracks, of course the one you are looking at is most likely on the well taken care of side.... People who "work" their stuff tend to take a little less than "good" care of stuff, especially when you get to watch them in person.... MPG seems to range from the lower to mid 20's depending on what it's in and how they use it.... Hey, you never really know what's going to happen anyway, a brand new car can leave you walking, you never know....

The stories go that that engine has the power of about a 305, better mileage, 20+ as opposed to about 15 with gas.

For 5K you can get 5 Dakota engines, or 3 and a take along mechanic.....

good luck ! ! & fun drivin'
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The worst news is that the AC quit years ago. He had a mechanic replace the seals and recharge it but it leaked down quickly and he never messed with it again. Working AC would be a must.
I don't think my A/C has worked since the Clinton administration. The compressor and all is still hooked up, but the way all of the plumbing is done under that hood I won't even attempt the repair.

I've had two water pumps put on the van. That's one job that (at the time anyway) I flat out said "there is no way in hell I'm even gonna try". I've been putting off the inevitable changing of belts for that same reason (they're about 7 years old but not terrible). Forget working on anything in the front of the engine unless you disassemble half the front end and pull the radiator.

Again, old Chevys need a special kind of love. My van likes to be treated a certain way....she'll do anything you ask, but you have to treat her with a gentle hand and understanding. It'll last *me* forever, but in the hands of just about anyone else it'd give up the ghost within a couple months. I wouldn't hesitate buying another, but I just can't let this one go . I even rebuilt the turbo 350 myself for about $100 half a dozen years ago, pulled it out on my back in the driveway with jack stands on the front.

A relationship with an old Chevy van is like being married to an ugly soulmate. While you dream every moment of having something more attractive, you just can't bear to part ways because of how much it really contributes to your life......
Old 03-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Economy wise, the Q-jet is a pretty good carb. I need to learn how to tune the one in my old Impala...it's close to right. The car starts better than it ever did before but bogs on acceleration. I'm not usually in that big a hurry, though!

I run hot and cold on the van, and right now am leaning against it. He is asking $5k but told me if I was interested that figure is highly negotiable. A lot depends on just how negotiable it is. Lots of good advice here, on both sides, and it is appreciated.
You need an accelerator pump diaphragm in the carb. Easy job.

$5K on the van is ludicrous. Gas models in good shape can be had for a grand any day of the week, so I would think that $2K would be closer to FMV.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

Again, old Chevys need a special kind of love. My van likes to be treated a certain way....she'll do anything you ask, but you have to treat her with a gentle hand and understanding. It'll last *me* forever, but in the hands of just about anyone else it'd give up the ghost within a couple months. I wouldn't hesitate buying another, but I just can't let this one go . I even rebuilt the turbo 350 myself for about $100 half a dozen years ago, pulled it out on my back in the driveway with jack stands on the front.

A relationship with an old Chevy van is like being married to an ugly soulmate. While you dream every moment of having something more attractive, you just can't bear to part ways because of how much it really contributes to your life......
Awwweee That's soooo sweettt.....

Lotsa vehicles over 15 yrs. old will do ok with their current loving owner....

I remember doing a water pump on my '73 mustang 351 A/C it took me all day long, I removed more bolts and stuff.... Easily took twice as long, and twice as much stuff as taking the head off the wife's 91 accord.... And I took off the timing belt completely first.... I can't imagine how long it would take to do a water pump on a van.... yikes...

Last edited by Username1; 03-28-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was maybe 5 years old when my uncle from down south drove up to visit in his Chevy van, probably a '73 or so. Even at that age I remember thinking how cramped it was under that hood. I always had the feeling that a van like that would have to be quick to overheat...even though that was just a little kid thinking, that still wants to stick in the back of my mind!

Watch, I'll probably just keep driving my old truck another couple years...thing about me, most every vehicle I ever owned dropped in my lap in some way or another. The Impala was my first car-Dad fixed it up for me, and chose it because it was a big car and he found it cheap. I inherited an F150 which I traded on this Dakota, pretty much even up. My International was given to me by a local farmer; the Ford was a barter that cost me around a weeks pay. I know that if I wait long enough, some deal is going to come along. Either the van will be it, or I'll wait and something better will show up.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Does your old Ford have a back seat, or is it a "Business Coupe" ?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

She's a Fordor...I figure, we can take that great cross-country trip and Kim can just sleep in the back seat while I drive. Could happen someday...
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4362152953.html

For 5k that guy is dreaming. If you have that kind of money budgeted, get yourself this '62 Imperial! V8 hemi, power everything, and 3 cigarette lighters!
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

An overdue update: I ended up buying the van! I sold the International which gave me money to buy the GMC and then some. (he sold it to me for $3k) Serviced the transmission, charged the AC and we took it on vacation Memorial Day weekend. Put around 1,500 miles on it and the more I ran it the better it ran. (I think the fuel injector cleaner I added to the fuel helped a lot.) She doesn't like mountain passes; at 200k the original mufflers finally let go and I replaced them this week. All ready for the next big trip. Averaged about 18mpg, I know I can do better on flatter ground. (I-68 across western MD is a mileage killer) I'm very happy so far. She is a clean piece, really babied.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Nice catch. I'm sure she'll serve ya better than Sandy's Urbanizer did him.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Not sure how I got here.

A friend of mine had one that looked just like that... He thought it was the best
thing since sliced bread......

Good deal, as long as yer happy ! !