Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
electronics packrat

Still using a RCA XL-100 ( CTC-89) console made in May 1978 in my workroom, and a 20" Philips in the living room. The RCA will shortly be moved into the living room as it recieves more channels with just a piece of wire hooked to it than the other does on my rooftop antenna! The Philips will probably end up out in my shop to use with a VCR. I don't see myself ever giving up my CRT t.v.s.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
zenith mad

All crt tvs in my house! All my 200+ television sets are crt and I should have enough crt stuff should i live up to 100 years! My daily watchers are:
Bang&Olufsen Beovision 1
Bang&Olufsen Beovision 3
Bang&Olufsen LX 6000
By the way, the only tv shows I watch are old ones from 60'/70'/80.
Cathode ray tubes: anything else is a compromise!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
sampson159

ge 31" upstairs,27 toshiba in my son s room,ctc68 in my room with ctc15 roundie,zenith 25" chromacolor,sylvania gt matic.all crt s and all work well. we dlp and lcd,however not much use.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Mark

My bedroom has a 2001 sanyo 25", '98 Panasonic 27" in the living room, The one I watch movies on is my '65 Zenith roundie combo, I also have this one hooked to digital broadcast, satellite, DVD,VCR eMac computer and Analog antenna until it's gone.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
AK Member

We are a CRT only household. Maybe we will buy a flat screen when the new technologies improve to match the quality of a CRT and the prices drop.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
web troll :-)

I still like my CRT HD TV a lot.. the Zenith just keeps plugging away at 1080i with amazing color and contrast... accurate blacks that flat panels only dream of.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the black levels on every LCD I've seen were pretty washed out. That's the downside! CRT is a fine device for my uses.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Vintage Geek

CRT for life here.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Seems like there might be a niche market for CRTs one day, just like the way Panasonic (Technics) markets the SL1200's...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
AK Member

my 1999 32" TOSHIBA, still going strong...

Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I do believe the CRT will make a nostalgic comeback one day also. Face it: when the stuff isn't around anymore, demand will go up, up, up!

And we'll have our huge collections of battle-ship 70s color sets!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
I do believe the CRT will make a nostalgic comeback one day also. Face it: when the stuff isn't around anymore, demand will go up, up, up!

And we'll have our huge collections of battle-ship 70s color sets!
Look what is happening to vintage Hi-Fi equipment. 15 years ago, I used to see '60's tube Hi-Fi stuff at the hamfest & antique radio swap meet that no one was interested in. Now, those old tube Hi-Fi units are often going for big bucks. I should have bought that Fisher 500C back when the price was low. Even some of the solid state stereo equipment from the '70's is soaring in price.

Catalin radios are the same way. 20 years ago, most collectors turned their noses up at Catalin sets. Now, they are a high demand item. I'm even seeing radios from the '50's and '60's go for high prices. This is especially true of the colored ones in good condition.

I suspect the same thing will happen with the TV's that most people think are worthless now. It may take 30 years; but, I'm sure it will happen.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
<----Zenith C845

I still have my RCA CTC185 and Zenith Sentry 2 19" CRTs, both working extremely well. CTC185 has eight years on it, original CRT, Zenith Sentry 2 has almost 13 years on it as well, also original CRT. Both sets make a wonderful picture on cable. The Zenith isn't being used much at the moment, but it will be moved into my living room (set is currently in my bedroom and unplugged--presently only used for cross-checking when I have cable trouble, and to back up the RCA) when the RCA set goes bad. The RCA set makes such a good picture right now, however, that I don't see it going West any time soon. The only repair I ever had done on that set was to have the RF connector on the tuner PC board replaced/resoldered when it snapped off (twice) the first year I had the set. The technician who repaired my set the second time also resoldered the ground points around the onboard tuner, which was troublesome in the CTC185 and other RCA/Thomson sets made in the late '80s-'90s. The TV has been working great ever since--in fact, I read somewhere that once the tuner grounds were resoldered properly on this chassis, the set will run for years virtually trouble-free. I believe it. It's been seven years since I last had this TV serviced and it still works as well as it did the day I purchased it.

I don't want an HD flat panel at this time, not as long as my analog sets are working as well as they are. I agree with the others in this forum who say that FPs are no match (yet, anyway) for CRTs, especially in the area of black level and so on. Flat-panel high-definition TV is a good idea, but the technology is still very new and has a long way to go before it will really catch on with the American public, in most areas of the country except the West Coast (particularly the Los Angeles/San Diego/southern California area, where they always seem to have the latest of everything as soon as, or at least shortly after, the stuff goes on the market). I live in the Midwest (northeastern Ohio near Cleveland), and I'll bet there aren't more than a small number of HD flat-panels in this entire area even as I am writing this. This may well change when the old analog sets eventually develop serious problems such as defective CRTs and defective circuit modules that turn up NLA (no longer available), but for the time being most folks in my town (a village 33 miles east of Cleveland), including myself, are sticking with analog CRT televisions. Come February 2009 the TV signals will be digital (analog will go off the air for good), but with over-air STBs (set-top boxes) and digital cable there is no real need to get a FP set unless you want one--again, at least for now. The day will come when every TV in the country will be a flat-panel high-definition set, but I don't see that day coming for quite some time (read decades) as there are far too many perfectly good analog CRT televisions in use at this time (millions).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Come February 2009 the TV signals will be digital (analog will go off the air for good), but with over-air STBs (set-top boxes) and digital cable there is no real need to get a FP set unless you want one--again, at least for now. The day will come when every TV in the country will be a flat-panel high-definition set, but I don't see that day coming for quite some time (read decades) as there are far too many perfectly good analog CRT televisions in use at this time (millions).
Some people around here have got it in their head that their current TV will be worthless next year. The main reasons behind this thinking is a lack of understanding & sales people telling people a bunch of garbage in order to push a new HDTV off on them. I tell these people that they will only be effected if they use an antenna for reception. Many of these people are not aware of the converter boxes that are available and/or the converter box coupon program, even though PSA's are run all day and night on all TV stations. If you are on cable, the worse that will happen is that you'll have to rent a cable box if the cable company drops analog. That may present a problem over here, since I have seven TV's connected to cable. Paying rent on seven digital cable boxes might get expensive. I've heard that Comcast is going 100% digital sometime in 2008; but, it has not happened in my area yet.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Some people around here have got it in their head that their current TV will be worthless next year. The main reasons behind this thinking is a lack of understanding & sales people telling people a bunch of garbage in order to push a new HDTV off on them. I tell these people that they will only be effected if they use an antenna for reception. Many of these people are not aware of the converter boxes that are available and/or the converter box coupon program, even though PSA's are run all day and night on all TV stations. If you are on cable, the worse that will happen is that you'll have to rent a cable box if the cable company drops analog. That may present a problem over here, since I have seven TV's connected to cable. Paying rent on seven digital cable boxes might get expensive. I've heard that Comcast is going 100% digital sometime in 2008; but, it has not happened in my area yet.
I'm curious what Comcast is going to do since we have them. Mom and I were discussing that and if they get too high, we just get all the basic analogue channels, we might even dump cable and go over the air, especially with us getting Retro Television Network and so on. Comcast did say, "we got you covered" se we shall see.
Audiokarma