Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 AM
RCA 741PCS

Question Superior Instrument Co - TV Cross-Bar Generator

I just picked this little guy up. Does anyone know anything about it or could point me to a schematic ?

I believe it generates vertical and horizontal lines for TV stations 2-6.

The tube lineup is a 7193 and a couple acorn tubes. It looks to me like they're using the 7193 as a rectifier ?!?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

Since I can't find any info on this bugger, I've been reverse-engineering it. The 7193 is indeed used as a rectifier with the plate and grid shorted together. The other two tubes are 954 acorn types. I'm going to do a quick recap and try to fire it up. Later I'll draw up a proper schematic.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

A quick recap got it working more or less

The vertical linearity mode seems fine. The control on the lower right sets the number of visible lines.

The horizontal mode is a bit flaky though. I tend to get diagonal lines or just one vertical line.

I guess that's about all I can do without having any proper literature. Not that I really need to use it for anything. I just like to fool around with vintage gear sometimes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is a neat little piece of equipment. Does it work the same on all output channels or do the patterns vary if you put it on a different channel? What do the sweep modes do versus the linearity modes?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
RCA 741PCS

It outputs either vertical or horizontal (when it's working!) bars on channels 2-6. It's pretty crude compared to more modern pattern generators.

The sweep modes puts out signals suitable for injecting either a vertical or horizontal drive signal into a defective TV set. In other words, there's no RF carrier.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just bought one of these myself! Haven't received it yet, but would be interested in comparing notes when I do. I don't know if any documentation will come with it, but will let you know.

Mark
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear2k View Post
I just bought one of these myself! Haven't received it yet, but would be interested in comparing notes when I do. I don't know if any documentation will come with it, but will let you know.

Mark
Cool. If you got the one I'm thinking of, it looks to be in really good condition.

I suspect my problem has to do with adjusting the coil accessable via a hole in the back. I've tried fiddling with it and it has some effect, but I'm working in the dark. It will be great to compare notes.

Side note - I also just picked up a SICO TV-50 genometer. Supposedly it can do bars, crosshatch and dots.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I will share my experiences! Yes it probably is the one you are thinking of, and the seller included the entire chopped power cord. I took some good pictures I'll share so we can compare "parts bin" components SICO may have used between runs.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I had my eye on the genometer too...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few pics of the one I picked up. There is one capacitor that looks like someone may have swapped for an odd looking, double terminaled type - but could be original. Tabs at each end test to be connected together - and looking at yours, the wiring proves that.

Last edited by mbear2k; 05-25-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
RCA 741PCS

Very nice - the cabinet seems to be in excellent condition.
LOL - that's one ugly capacitor If you have trouble reading any of the values, let me know and I'll pop mine open. I hope you can get it running so we can compare outputs.

I've seen 3 genometers pop up lately. I picked up the one locally that was branded PACO. It's in the new test equipment forum.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had wondered what those tubes with two grid caps were used for. Now I know. I have a few of those from a TV shop that I cleaned out.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finally found a schematic for this so I thought I'd add it to Bob's thread. Now I can get mine going as well. My unit has never had a working bar oscillator.

Schematic and article was found in How to understand and use TV test instruments by Milton S. Kiver. Page 99 - 100

The schematic predates the use of a war surplus 7193 for the rectifer.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
I finally found a schematic for this so I thought I'd add it to Bob's thread. Now I can get mine going as well. My unit has never had a working bar oscillator.

Schematic and article was found in How to understand and use TV test instruments by Milton S. Kiver. Page 99 - 100

The schematic predates the use of a war surplus 7193 for the rectifer.
I find it interesting to see what kind of components they used to make a somewhat working piece of equipment?
I always thought, the ones that designed the products had a sense of humor.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lol this. Their choice of a 954 VHF tube was total overkill. I was working on mine back in 2008 when I first got it and it turned out it was completely wiping out analog channel 6 over at my Dad's place 150 feet away with no wire attached to the RF output.