Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Urei 1620 DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
Definitely colour videotape. As you'll see in this YouTube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoHru5Hedo where Shirley ends the show she is chromakeyed on the background of the NBC studio and two RCA TK-41s can be seen up the far back, plus the halos around her dress sequins when reflecting the spotlights is a dead giveaway, and also there's that dark vertical band on the left side of the picture seen in the animal head trophy bit which is a typical characteristic of a TK-41 picture.
Is that Jonathon Winters at 1:02 in this clip? Kinda looks like him but not sure if it is.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
console lover

Yes, it is.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is good info... Thanks...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I remember that show as a kid but I also wasn't aware that it was produced on video and not on film, the colors are stunning.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I watched it on Our B & W 27 inch Kaye Halbert... So did not know it was in Color... I was thinking about this the other Day but foprgot it was Her Show... Thought She was a Guest on a Show...
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Just ordered this set on Amazon for 29 bucks and free shipping
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Repro Battery Builder

Closest thing to a time machine I've ever seen!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

G'day all.

Thought I'd reply to this old thread of mine to say I finally bought a copy of the Shirley Temple Show set and I am totally impressed!!!

I have watched the Little Mermaid episode and have skim previewed the others so far and am watching The Land Of Oz as I type, what can I say about the colour but totally WOW that is what I call colour!!! The colour is absolutely amazing and looks just like technicolour but created electronically and at a fluid motion rate of 60fps. Also the video effects used is absolutely amazing and cutting edge for the time, the blue screen chroma keying, the kaleidoscope effects, the funky screen wipes, picture ripping effects etc.

And the shows themselves are so enjoyable to watch and I look forward to viewing them all. During the watching and previewing a few funny things stand out, the witch's barrister on the Little Mermaid episode looks like he could easily be a band member of KISS, the world's strongest man on the Pippi Longstocking episode resembles WWE/WWF wrestler George Steele dressed in an 80s glam rocker hair band outfit hehehe, and on the Winnie The Pooh episode I was bawling with laughter when Shirley says "Winnie The Pooh always went poohing" for obvious reasons best not mentioned hahahahaha lol . Watching the Land Of Oz episode right now, just gotta love that wooden log horse he is cool and quite a character! It's amazing how many familiar stars appeared on her excellent show too, Jonathan Winters, Jonathan Harris, a younger Angela Cartwright, and many more.

Anyways the DVD set was well worth the money and as stated previously I highly anyone into early colour or who are Shirley Temple fans to buy this DVD box set, it is GOOD!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

As with the postings of the January 1960 edition of The Steve Allen Plymouth Show, this underscores how well-kept and -maintained the RCA TK-41 I/O color cameras at their Burbank studios were (if compared with the same cameras at their New York Rockefeller Center studios) - and how (and why) they remained in service even with the introduction of the disastrous TK-42 camera (and subsequent TK-43), with NBC not even bothering to replace these workhorses until after RCA's three-tube Plumbicon TK-44A's were first introduced at decade's end.

Didn't NBC, at the time of Ms. Temple's show, still use their proprietary method of recording color onto videotape (as evidenced on the 1958 dedication of WRC-TV's Nebraska Avenue studios and Fred Astaire's first NBC-TV special) that was considered an improvement over the low-band color videotaping of other machines, whether RCA or Ampex? If so, that might be the other equation of why this still looks good for a show that's about 50 years old or so.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another example of the TK-41.

To see how good the TK-41 could look, check out "The Best of The Andy Williams Show" DVD from Image Entertainment. By this time, the TK-41 (the C model, I think, had dichroic prism-blocks instead of front-surface mirrors.

When I was attending Cal Poly, Pomona, in the mid-sixties, someone said you could just walk into NBC Burbank without guards or anyone checking you. Sure enough, I went in one afternoon and found my way into one of the studio camera control areas.

I was able to watch them "shade up" the 41s in preparation for taping "Truth or Consequences" with Bob Barker. The color on the RCA monitors looked beautiful. Of course I wasn't as critical a viewer then, but they did look good.

Later I worked summer relief at NBC Burbank in 1970, developing newsfilm in the basement. During that time I was told that when Shirley Temple taped her shows, she insisted they do it on Ampex equipment. Presumably this was on low-band VR-1000s at the time.

When I got there, the tape area was mostly high-band TR-70s and VR-2000s. I recall there was only one VR-1000 left that was used to dub shows for Hawaii.

Security was beefed up when, the story I heard goes, someone drove away with a just-delivered studio audio recorder from the shipping dock in the back one day.

We were NABET local 53, so the wages were excellent.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
To see how good the TK-41 could look, check out "The Best of The Andy Williams Show" DVD from Image Entertainment. By this time, the TK-41 (the C model, I think, had dichroic prism-blocks instead of front-surface mirrors...
Great info. I liked seeing the TK-41 at ETF, spacious component layout, swing out electronics sub assemblies, better than heavier? solid state TK-43.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIXIE TV 013.jpg (54.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Shirley Temple clip in question is definitely film. You can see the burn marks near the end of the clip.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie812 View Post
The Shirley Temple clip in question is definitely film. You can see the burn marks near the end of the clip.
What clip are you referring to exactly (repeat the link, please) and what burn marks? - I only see video on the ones I looked at.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

The IMDB says it was 35mm Film, clearly what's seen on Youtube is video not film.

Perhaps the B&W episodes were film and they changed to video when they went to color?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie812 View Post
Well as I have the series, I can easily say the show is DEFINITELY done on videotape shot from RCA TK-41 cameras in the NBC studios because the motion is very fluid like how our eyes see motion, at the end of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoHr...eature=related at 2:00 you'll see Shirley chroma keyed over the NBC studio 2 which the TK-41 cameras are seen in the background. With the burn marks, if you are referring to the dark vertical burn line at the left end of the picture, that is actually a common artifact with image orthicon cameras (colour and B&W) and can often be seen on any program shot with them, here's an example from a B&W IO used at the Sunbury '73 music festival in Australia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xRfaGK4DI the vertical burn lines at the left side can be seen at the start and at 1:52 and 2:19. I actually wonder why IO tubes have that artifact myself?

Anyways the series is definitely a RCA TK-41 colour camera to 2 inch quad videotape production!