Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Tube Tester

I'm thinking about getting a tube tester and would like a bit of advice. My uses are for radios and TV's from the 40's thru late 50's. I'm not looking to 'match' tubes , I am thinking more of a 'go no go' type of tester. So, I guess I'm looking at an emissions type tester. Prices on E-bay seem to be going thru the roof. I'm retired and living on a fixed income, so every bit of savings is important to me. At present I have been looking at a CENTURY FC-2. Would this be something to go for or stay away from?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillybob View Post
I'm thinking about getting a tube tester and would like a bit of advice. My uses are for radios and TV's from the 40's thru late 50's. I'm not looking to 'match' tubes , I am thinking more of a 'go no go' type of tester. So, I guess I'm looking at an emissions type tester. Prices on E-bay seem to be going thru the roof. I'm retired and living on a fixed income, so every bit of savings is important to me. At present I have been looking at a CENTURY FC-2. Would this be something to go for or stay away from?
I'd hold out for a Sencore portable - soemthing like the Super mack or any of their TC-series checkers. Can't say what's on fleabay, but those have served me well over the years. B&K makes some decent stuff too, IMHO.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing about tube testers is that after awhile you can't have just one!

I like the fact that if you question the way a tube tests on one that you can compare it on another.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
RCA 741PCS

I use a Triplett 3413B emission tester for quickly testing tubes. It has a built in scroll that covers pretty much every radio and TV tube from 1930 to the mid 50s.

It's basically the same a a Knight 600 or an EICO 625 which are also good.

This website has a lot of great info on tube testers: http://tone-lizard.com/Tube_Testers.html
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have been looking around on the web and found a site (Tubesound.com) that had some interesting info for me. According to them, the Triplett 3413, Heathkit TC1/TC2, Eico 625, and Knight 600 series (600, 600A, 600B,600C) are essentially the same tester. They speak highly of these instruments, so I have some food for thought.
Audiokarma