Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wink Iso Xformer

Hi folks...
I found a nice Isolation Transformer (like the one showen in Banderson's videos). It has the adjustable input tap switch and will handle over 2 amps! I don't need one now.. but I thought I'd let ya all know. No.. I'm not affiliated with this sale. I just found it when I was looking for one.

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Play it safe and use an Iso xformer on those Hot Chassis's!
(now there's a word for ya.. chassis's. Don't say it if your eating crackers!)

Buzz
Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Followin' the Rules...

That Isotap's cord is falling apart!

I have a WP-25A too. The only problem with them is if someone switches the voltage while it is under a load - the contacts burn up easily. I use mine with a smallish (175VA) variac I built, so voltage change is made there, and I leave it on the 105V setting.

My other isolation transformer is two back-to-back 115V:48V/30A Control transformers I picked up at a DRMO auction in '88. Heavy? Suffice to say the transformers lay on a plywood dolly with casters. I plug my bench power strip (fused at 12A) into it and presto, isolated test equipment. Sets get plugged into my PR57 or one of my homemade variacs.

I have a rack mount Elgar power conditioner (an ex-NASA piece) that is isolated and removes RFI. NASA used it on a thermal contrlller for a laminating oven. I got in '06 from an eBay auction for 5 bucks, but had to pick it up some 35 miles away, as it weighs 80 pounds. I have yet to use it, beyond wiring up a power cord and installing it in a rack.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wink Iso nice-so

Hi,

I suppose the contacts just can't take that. The cord looks bad, but the guy writes about it. I can't believe he left that picture in there. Here's what he says:

"Vintage RCA Isolator variable transformer model WP-25A
please note that pictures were taken before item was checked serviced and the wire plug was replaced with new electrical wire and plug and is in perfect working condition please email me with any questions thank you "

I've got an old Auto transformer.. Don't use it. It's the "spool" configuration and weighs a ton! The secondary is resonate at 60 hertz. (flywheel effect) I've spent some time looking for the specs on it. It's a Westinghouse IM47. I gave up trying to find it. I've got it mounted in a Motorola radio cabinet and was going to use it someday for a repeater site line conditioner. I should check it out to see if the caps in the secondary are still ok.

That iso on Ebay would still make someone a nice transformer. One can bypass the switch and hard wire it to what ever your house electrical voltage is.

Take care,
Buzz