Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:51 PM
AK Member

Zenith video projection Monitor

Hey guys,

I just came back from a garage sale hunt and found something that I couldn't pass up. It was a Zenith Projector. With three large lenses at the front and a built in speaker. Model number pv800p.

Does any one know anything about this device, or know somewhere else I could start this post.

Thanks for the help
Rudy

P.S. It's not working There is sound and some funny noises but no light shoots outta this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2288759042_ea860c5e4c.jpg (98.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:43 PM
AK Member

Manufactured October 1985

and it has Video in
audio in
and video out

This thing is a beast almost 2 feet wide a foot tall and 2 feet long.

I suspect no H.V . I did the light bulb near the H.V. line trick, no glow. Would this of been a common thing to "die" on a unit like this.

So I look at the HV board. It's loose... I look a bit closer and notice a capacitor paralleled with green resistor. But underneath I can clearly see that it shows a diode symbol ---|>|----- The capacitor resistor combo sorta looks like a botchy repair job. Any thoughts..?

And for those that know TV troubles. When the unit shuts off I can clearly see a flash of red. Maybe the other colors to but I can't tell.

Last edited by JesusJones; 10-19-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: and it gets more interesting
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC back then they were using a high voltage multiplier package in most brands of conventional and projection sets. Those were known to go bad, sometimes quietly, other times by spewing arcs out from beneath. I have an Advent Videobeam unit that did that.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM
AK Member

Interesting.... the voltage multiplier is what transforms the low voltage to HV right?

I ask this because there are two similiar looking devices in the HV path. One that I'm guessing is the multiplier.(It has a single HV line coming from it)

The other is the HV splitter that splits the One HV Line, to 3 others leading to blue green and red.(Just trying to get my facts right)

Thing is though, at this point I've gotten the red and blue working. Also the green works, just very dimly. Could this still be a HV problem?

P.S. I re-opened this thread in "rectangular tube and solid state" forum....I thought it fit the era slightly better.
Audiokarma
Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have that SAME exact projector. Except it is labeled as VIP Mark 3 from layfayette.

I NEEEEEED to find a schematic on this thing somewhere.

The convergence board in these bad boys are poor. I was going to rewire the set with a digital convergence module, but i need to find a schematic.

Oh BTW, its a rare one, and yeap mine still plays. except the poor convergence that just wont correct very well.