Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

TG&Y AM table radio

I'm not much into the newer radios; but, I decided to get this one because it's a TG&Y-branded set and I don't see that brand very much. I also remember going into the local TG&Y with my Mother, until it closed in the mid '90's.

This radio was made in Hong Kong and the outside looks like some Realtone models that I've seen. It's a 6-transistor set that uses a power transformer and the power switch is in the low voltage side of the transformer (the transformer is live as long as the radio is plugged in). For something that probably cost $9.99 when new, it performs fairly well.

When I was working on a lot of TV's in the '90's, I saw several TG&Y sets and most of them were made by either Sampo or NEC.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a portable battery/AC radio circuit board. I've seen lots of these, the manufacturers must have had tons of boards meant for portables to use up.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have an AM-FM antique cathedral "replica" radio that uses the same type of circuit board, powered by a transformer mounted to the base of the cabinet. There must have been I don't know how many tens of thousands of these boards made; most of them found their way into small radios like the one being discussed here, some were put into replica antique radio cabinets (as in my set), and so on. A friend of mine has a similar replica antique 4-mode stereo (phono, AM-FM radio, cassette and CD player), and I'll bet the radio uses the same circuit board as the TG&Y set, only the former is AM/FM.

The TG&Y set's circuit board has the usual AM radio circuit layout using IF transformers and the like, but future versions of this and the replica "antique" music systems may have the cheap "one-chip" radio. I have a "Windsor" AM-FM clock radio that I'm almost certain has a one-chip AM-FM radio, as the selectivity and selectivity are terrible (stations are crowded together on the FM radio dial) and the AM section barely works in my area, although the FM gets many (but not all) local Cleveland stations. I am over 30 miles distant from the AM and FM radio stations serving Cleveland; gutless-wonder sets like this are just barely useful in anything except suburban and urban reception areas and next to useless in small towns miles away from big-city stations. I consider myself lucky to be getting any reception at all from the Cleveland stations. A powerful FM station about eight miles from here all but drowns out a Cleveland station 1 MHz away (!), but again, blame that on the radio's very poor selectivity. Oh well, I paid under $10 for this thing at a discount store, and for that little money you just don't expect quality.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I'm not much into the newer radios; but, I decided to get this one because it's a TG&Y-branded set and I don't see that brand very much. I also remember going into the local TG&Y with my Mother, until it closed in the mid '90's.

This radio was made in Hong Kong and the outside looks like some Realtone models that I've seen. It's a 6-transistor set that uses a power transformer and the power switch is in the low voltage side of the transformer (the transformer is live as long as the radio is plugged in). For something that probably cost $9.99 when new, it performs fairly well.

When I was working on a lot of TV's in the '90's, I saw several TG&Y sets and most of them were made by either Sampo or NEC.
Hokutone speaker, quality stuff. They made speakers for a bunch of importers like Calrad, GC Electronics (Calectro) and Olson.

I guess TG&Y went away some years ago - I was a frequent shopper at TG&Y back in 1984/85 in Millington Tennessee. It was either there or travel into Memphis to go shopping...

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember right B4 they went away they were almost GIVING AWAY El Cheapo 5" TV/AM/FM sets for $10...Or was it $5 ?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Looks like a portable battery/AC radio circuit board. I've seen lots of these, the manufacturers must have had tons of boards meant for portables to use up.
I see the set uses Fairchild transistors. I picked up an el-cheapo Am only portable with ten of those transistors. I looks like they used them for diodes, as well.
I see, they switched the center tap of the power transformer. At least, it uses full wave rectification.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

The "77P13" on the speaker led me to believe that it's from 1977; but, someone on one of the facebook groups told me that it's more like from 1967 and the USA-made Fairchild transistors were the biggest clue.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I remember right B4 they went away they were almost GIVING AWAY El Cheapo 5" TV/AM/FM sets for $10...Or was it $5 ?
Radio Shack had a stack of them before the analogue TV ceased. They were priced at $9.99. I thought, I'd buy one for S&G's. The salesperson mentioned their was a price change that day. $4.99. It's even a Sylvania branded one.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
USA-made Fairchild transistors were the biggest clue.
Actually, right after they were introduced, the TO-105 and TO-106 Fairchild transistors were produced in Hong Kong.

http://www.semi.org/en/About/P036368

Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Radio Shack sold an AM table radio (and a companion AM/FM model) In this exact same cabinet (though the artwork on the dial was slightly different).

I'm willing to bet the electronics inside were exactly the same.
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
Radio Shack sold an AM table radio (and a companion AM/FM model) In this exact same cabinet (though the artwork on the dial was slightly different).

I'm willing to bet the electronics inside were exactly the same.
Yep - the same. 3 IF transformers, two audio transformers. 4th is Local Oscillator Coil.....

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.