Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Nipper Rules

Cabin Fever

The cold is starting to get to me, I have some work I have to do to my Impala, it didn't pass inspection last time ,the steering linkage is loose. Im ready for a dose of warm weather. Just want to get out there with the top down again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC200368.jpg (114.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I feel your pain. Nice car. MY "summer car" is in storage, and I have been so busy I haven't been over to check on it for months. It's heated storage, and it has a trickle charger on it, so it's probably OK. I just usually like to go start it up and move it through the gears once a month while it's stored. I hope nothing goes wrong from sitting totally untouched for several months.

I am glad there are no inspections around here. Not even E-check. Just buy whatever POS you want, pay for a license plate, and you're off.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

ahh , im tired of this weather if its not snowing its bitter cold . i planed this winter to hide in the basement and work on my tv's and other fun electronics ,all iv been doing is splitting more firewood than planned burn this year ,if im not doing that im working on my late 50's johndeere 1010 crawler that dint plan on using to move snow with ,but this snow is to much for a snow blower to move. and on top of that i have waste oil furnace in my garage for heat that is plugging up because of the cold and i must have got a load real dirty waste oil ,filters are plugging up every other day on it, and not speek of the other normal problems that go along with a vary cold winter, like sons battery freezeing and heater blower motor stops in wifes car ,burns out modual and motor on sunday night and she needs the car in morning , there are more things but who's listing them ,im the guy everyone in the family calls when they have a problem ,man if would get up to 30 deg. would be a heat wave. oh well we just keep pressing on, and soon the spring will be here ,we have to many easy winters around here, and a hard one come's along were not ready . stay warm everyone not much longer now soon it will be tax time.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Coogar's got a deal..... What state is that....? I was in Ga. for 6 years, they just did a butt sniff while on a treadmill at 2000 rpm, but yer bumper could be falling off, no breaks, and on the baldest tires ever, as long as yer car's ass had the right stuff commin out, off ya- go.....

snelson, I got the wife's car apart waiting for a warm day to put the head back on....
my car needs a boot over the shaft on passengers side, Already got a new shaft just in case it's gone by time I get a nice day..... And got the coal stove still apart waiting on an upgrade..... And yah, I gotta now go do a quick fix on the snowblower too this weekend..... Not much time for any tv's........ At least my regular use tv's are no trouble....
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Coogar's got a deal..... What state is that....? I was in Ga. for 6 years, they just did a butt sniff while on a treadmill at 2000 rpm, but yer bumper could be falling off, no breaks, and on the baldest tires ever, as long as yer car's ass had the right stuff commin out, off ya- go.....

snelson, I got the wife's car apart waiting for a warm day to put the head back on....
my car needs a boot over the shaft on passengers side, Already got a new shaft just in case it's gone by time I get a nice day..... And got the coal stove still apart waiting on an upgrade..... And yah, I gotta now go do a quick fix on the snowblower too this weekend..... Not much time for any tv's........ At least my regular use tv's are no trouble....
i just finished adapting large hydrulic filter to the primary side of my furnace's pump ,she's working nice now ill have the garage 80deg before long . i finished wife car sunday night i had the parts in stock , its just a pain when everything craps out at the same time. the groundhog says there's only 6 weeks left of winter ,i think the snow piles will be here till july. lol
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I just hate doing anything in the cold...... Last year had to do fuel pump in gas tank in 25 degrees......

Usually if one car quits we just use the old 86 prelude we keep as a spare.....

Been depending on that car a lot lately....

I was thinking of a "how do you keep warm" thread...... Sounds like you got a neat little toy in your garage.....

Last edited by Username1; 02-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm kind of afraid of the heavy metals in waste oil... some nasty stuff is let free when you burn it. I fire up electric heat In my garage when I need to do winter work on the car... not too cost effective but only use it once in a while.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Coogar's got a deal..... What state is that....?
Rural north-central Ohio. Some of our bigger cities (Cleveland for sure) have e-check, but still no inspection. The only way you need an inspection is when buying an out-of-state vehicle, or buying a junk car and trying to get a salvage-rebuild title.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Here in upstate NY They don't do the butt sniff, its $25, for safety, $10. for the '86 and my '88 Dodge... Closer to the city its $37. and they do it all.... No money here so the state couldn't get away with mandating the stations buy the butt sniffers.... $50K The station guy said.... Plus this state is the definition of corrupt, so every few years a different company bribes the state so they change companies, and the station owners have to buy new, because yup they ain't compatible..... Pull'em down and bend over....
Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Nipper Rules

good thing its only a safety on the 1966, it still uses a lead additive in the fuel...I was thinking not too long ago about the states that didn't require insurance. Seems hard to believe now, I was in California in 1987 the week it became mandatory, and there were people there that weren't happy.
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Greetings from the bi-annual butt sniff, mandatory insurance state.... Dang my car and my ass hurt....

68 Torino in the garage waiting on a trans/engine swap.. Seem to have misplaced my Round-tuit.....

SR
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

In IL they only have checks in certain counties around Chicago and St. Louis. And even then its only e-checks, so anything older than 1996 is off the hook. This state is pretty good to classic cars.

What they are tough on though is license, title, and registrations. They really check them over good. I think it was the result of one of our former guvs going to the clink from shenanigans he did while he was Secretary of State (in IL the SOS is in charge of the Drivers Facilities), and they had to clean house. So, you better have all your paperwork in order when you go in.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

bgk283 , Time to repave the driveway...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Nipper Rules

I know, I know, its on the list. The list gets longer all the time...
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Administrator

I was out yesterday snowblowing with the trusty 1962 Ariens 10ML60, and the sucker broke right in two

The mounting tabs on the upper half of the auger assembly broke loose due to metal fatigue. I have never seen anything like that ever happen in the hundreds of snowblowers I have repaired over the years.

Luckily, I had a spare auger housing sitting in a snowbank....I had to rebuild it and make one good one out of two when the 1" thick steel bar that holds the front auger snapped in half, same reason.....and I didn't have chance to dispose of the other housing. Good thing, too.

When I rebuilt it back in December, I caught a 40 degree day and it took me about 3 hours to tear two augers down to nuts and bolts and rebuild it. Since it's in the single digits and -10 to -20 wind chills, screw that, I'm doing it in the house!

The "new" housing is showing drip drying in the first shot, and the second shot is the functioning yet unmountable auger from the machine, sitting on a piece of plywood with towels on it, thawing out.

Yep, that's what's "on the bench" this weekend!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3693.jpg (63.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3692.jpg (49.2 KB, 26 views)