Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
The Infinity almost certainly required an amplifier, which you didn't have. Then you got a radio from a Sebring/Stratus, the only cars that used a different bracket setup, but identical other than the brackets and the orange display.

Not surprising. For all the shit people give it, as an actual certified transmission mechanic myself, I can tell you that they're pretty hardy little things. My favorite transmission actually. It's a breeze to work on, and it's so simple, there's almost nothing to go wrong with it. Also, you'd be surprised just how often limp mode was triggered by a corroded battery termimal.

Maybe you just got a lemon dude. My 94 Concorde got T boned by a utility truck, and kept going. It went and went, literally the only time I ever had to have it towed was after it was hit. The transmission is literally the same A604, just twisted around to fit the other way. And mine NEVER overheated, it was the most temp-stable car I've ever had. Then again, I had the 3.3L, maybe you got the 3.5L, they were new for the LH cars, and did have some problems. Legit the 93 model ones would spontaneously combust. Fuel rail problems.
I had a '92 Dodge Dynasty that had the 3.3 engine. Mine ran perfectly and when I sold it, it had 162K and didn't leak any fluids and didn't use any oil between changes. It still used the old push-rod design.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
On the flip side, I know there are some Lada enthusiasts up here; I can't imagine how many snarky comments they have to deflect.
IMHO they probably get the least crap; at least among those who have watched crash compilations on youtube...Those of us in that camp are or should be scared of Ladas. If you see a Lada odds are it is 30 seconds from an accident or about to have parts fall off.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-15-2018, 02:44 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I had a '92 Dodge Dynasty that had the 3.3 engine. Mine ran perfectly and when I sold it, it had 162K and didn't leak any fluids and didn't use any oil between changes. It still used the old push-rod design.
Yeah the 3.3L has a few common problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. Very hardy little motors. There's a story on allpar about some engineers getting excited to have a new modern engine (the 3.3), and then being disheartened when they found it had pushrods. lol It's probably one of its strengths, though. No timing belt, less parts, more reliable.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
The Infinity almost certainly required an amplifier, which you didn't have. Then you got a radio from a Sebring/Stratus, the only cars that used a different bracket setup, but identical other than the brackets and the orange display.
I asked on the Allpar forum about whether or not the missing amplifier was the cause of the no-sound issue, and got conflicting responses. Some claimed the head unit would output sound regardless of whether or not the amp was there; others claimed that the silence was due to the missing amp. I did eventually find a later head unit with the right bracket setup, but was handed down the Concorde before I could install it.

Quote:
Not surprising. For all the shit people give it, as an actual certified transmission mechanic myself, I can tell you that they're pretty hardy little things. My favorite transmission actually. It's a breeze to work on, and it's so simple, there's almost nothing to go wrong with it. Also, you'd be surprised just how often limp mode was triggered by a corroded battery termimal.
From what I've heard, at least some of the A604 failures were due to lazy transmission techs using Dexron instead of the required ATF+3 fluid. When it started making noise in reverse, I bought five (IIRC) quarts of ATF+3 in preparation for having to drain the existing fluid. When we ended up taking it to a mechanic instead, I gave him the bottles of fluid I'd bought so he wouldn't go the lazy route.

As for when it dropped into 'limp home' mode: After it occurred, I immediately drove it to my mechanic, who found nothing wrong with it, and it never did that again. I can only figure that it was some sort of glitch.

Quote:
Maybe you just got a lemon dude. My 94 Concorde got T boned by a utility truck, and kept going. It went and went, literally the only time I ever had to have it towed was after it was hit. The transmission is literally the same A604, just twisted around to fit the other way. And mine NEVER overheated, it was the most temp-stable car I've ever had. Then again, I had the 3.3L, maybe you got the 3.5L, they were new for the LH cars, and did have some problems. Legit the 93 model ones would spontaneously combust. Fuel rail problems.
I've long figured it was a lemon; I've seen a fair number of Concordes of this style still on the road. This one indeed had the 3.5L engine under the hood. When it worked, it was a decent engine; I even put mid-grade gas in it, as recommended in the owner's manual. I don't know why its 42LE failed; one day I was driving around in it with my mother (who owned the car before me), and we noticed that the car would vibrate like a jackhammer if we tried to accelerate faster than 40MPH or so. $1,700 or so later, it was back on the road, and never had a transmission issue afterwards.

When we got the car used (former lease car) some years before, there was a recall on it due to fuel system issues. We brought it to a dealership for the recall work, then the day after we got it back from them, my mother noticed a large puddle of fuel under the gas tank when she was getting ready to leave work. Back to the dealership it went for more work, and it never had that issue again.

The overheating issue was an odd series of events. The first time it happened was while I was getting onto the highway. I had it towed to the mechanic, who claimed to have fixed the problem. Not long afterwards, while driving to class, it overheated again. I had it towed back to the mechanic, who managed to find the cause of the problem this time around: the A/C compressor had seized, causing the belt running it to break; the belt then got jammed in the cooling fan, which popped its fuse. How the mechanic missed this the first time around, I have no idea.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 04-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post

The overheating issue was an odd series of events. The first time it happened was while I was getting onto the highway. I had it towed to the mechanic, who claimed to have fixed the problem. Not long afterwards, while driving to class, it overheated again. I had it towed back to the mechanic, who managed to find the cause of the problem this time around: the A/C compressor had seized, causing the belt running it to break; the belt then got jammed in the cooling fan, which popped its fuse. How the mechanic missed this the first time around, I have no idea.
-Adam
Not familiar with those cars, but if the belt had not snapped yet the first time and if there was a cooling fan on a pully the compressor belt shared the stuck compressor could have stopped that pulley...

I'd imagine that with the compressor stuck there would have been a LOT of noise as it killed that belt...If you hear a problem sometimes it pays to grab a flashlight pop the hood and look around carefully. Depending on where they put the compressor it could have been a very obvious fail. (I'm someone who has had a stuck compressor and watched/heard the belt slip on it.)

Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Not familiar with those cars, but if the belt had not snapped yet the first time and if there was a cooling fan on a pully the compressor belt shared the stuck compressor could have stopped that pulley...

I'd imagine that with the compressor stuck there would have been a LOT of noise as it killed that belt...If you hear a problem sometimes it pays to grab a flashlight pop the hood and look around carefully. Depending on where they put the compressor it could have been a very obvious fail. (I'm someone who has had a stuck compressor and watched/heard the belt slip on it.)
I believe these cars used an electric cooling fan rather than one run from a serpentine belt. Not sure of the belt layout for the 3.5L V6, but just recalling what the mechanic told me several years ago. Don't remember hearing any odd noises from the engine before the first overheating incident, but I was known for playing the (very nice) head unit in that car a tad loudly, soooooooooo..........
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm trying to remember something that happened around 50 years ago, but I'm positive it was a Mercury. I drove the owner to the used car lot to pick it up. The owner told me the circumstances of the trans failure. I wasn't there.
When I was a kid I rode in a car with my father and this mechanic he knew. I thought it was a Pontiac but it my have been a Mercury; late 50's/early 60's regardless, and I remember it has a lever on the dash for the transmission. I've also seen a dash lever on early/mid-60's Dodge pickups.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yeah the 3.3L has a few common problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. Very hardy little motors. There's a story on allpar about some engineers getting excited to have a new modern engine (the 3.3), and then being disheartened when they found it had pushrods. lol It's probably one of its strengths, though. No timing belt, less parts, more reliable.
Some of the engineers had a bit more imagination, regarding new designs. Why mess with a design that's stood the test of time.
The 3.3 evolved into the 3.8 and possibly the 4.0.
My next-door neighbor bought a used Chrysler Pacifica with a 4.0. I said, if that's the engine I think it is, it'll be around for a long time.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
I asked on the Allpar forum about whether or not the missing amplifier was the cause of the no-sound issue, and got conflicting responses.
Honestly, it depends on the head unit. There were about 10 different styles, some required the amp, some did not, and some that did not were paired with an amp anyway, and then some others were meant to work with the early Imperial's setup: one baby amp on each speaker.
Quote:
I believe these cars used an electric cooling fan rather than one run from a serpentine belt. Not sure of the belt layout for the 3.5L V6
Both the 3.3 and 3.5 had a serpentine belt with auto tensioner, and a manually tensioned V belt for the AC only. On my car, I was constantly tightening the AC belt. But the AC always worked.
Quote:
The 3.3 evolved into the 3.8 and possibly the 4.0.
My next-door neighbor bought a used Chrysler Pacifica with a 4.0. I said, if that's the engine I think it is, it'll be around for a long time.
The 3.8 is legit just a bored 3.3 lol. Almost all parts are identical, aside from the block and pistons. Likewise the 4.0 is just an overgrown 3.5. :P On the bright side, the 3.5 had been around for almost 10 years by the time the 4.0 came out, I'm fairly certain they've worked out the kinks. Tell your neighbor to keep up on T belt maintenance, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:02 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
I'm trying to remember something that happened around 50 years ago, but I'm positive it was a Mercury. I drove the owner to the used car lot to pick it up. The owner told me the circumstances of the trans failure. I wasn't there.
I figured it was a long time ago, hence my question. I wouldn't expect anyone's memory to be spot-on after all that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Those of us in that camp are or should be scared of Ladas. If you see a Lada odds are it is 30 seconds from an accident or about to have parts fall off.
I thought I might draw fire from merely mentioning Ladas on here, and there it is.

Cheap cars attract abusive owners, it's as simple as that. I'm sure I will be "corrected" on this.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-16-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Honestly, it depends on the head unit. There were about 10 different styles, some required the amp, some did not, and some that did not were paired with an amp anyway, and then some others were meant to work with the early Imperial's setup: one baby amp on each speaker.

Both the 3.3 and 3.5 had a serpentine belt with auto tensioner, and a manually tensioned V belt for the AC only. On my car, I was constantly tightening the AC belt. But the AC always worked.

The 3.8 is legit just a bored 3.3 lol. Almost all parts are identical, aside from the block and pistons. Likewise the 4.0 is just an overgrown 3.5. :P On the bright side, the 3.5 had been around for almost 10 years by the time the 4.0 came out, I'm fairly certain they've worked out the kinks. Tell your neighbor to keep up on T belt maintenance, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Is that 3.5 engine a Chrysler engine? They have a newer engine, a 3.6 used in some Jeeps.
Regarding AC, the AC in my 2000 Dodge Dakota will still freeze you out. Try that with a GM, or even a Ford. A lot of the GM's wouldn't hold a charge for a year and that's way into the 90's.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I figured it was a long time ago, hence my question. I wouldn't expect anyone's memory to be spot-on after all that time.

I thought I might draw fire from merely mentioning Ladas on here, and there it is.

Cheap cars attract abusive owners, it's as simple as that. I'm sure I will be "corrected" on this.
Not meant to be fire but comedy..... Guess my sense of humor needs work.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The AC in my 2003 Grand Marquis is still going strong, never been recharged. An '88 Cadillac I had about 10 years ago also had cold AC, bad transmission, but good AC.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Not by me. I'm the guy who has to fix those cheap cars. I can absolutely assure you, you are correct.
Quote:
Is that 3.5 engine a Chrysler engine? They have a newer engine, a 3.6 used in some Jeeps.
Yes, it's a legit Chrysler motor. Designed all in-house, pre-Mercedes buyout. Come to think of it... it might've been their last true in-house engine. The 3.6 is a late model engine, it's much more modern. Up to snuff with all the competitors. They come in a couple sizes, but they're called the Pentastar engines (in development, the Phoenix engines). They're not bad... but they are modern.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Not by me. I'm the guy who has to fix those cheap cars. I can absolutely assure you, you are correct.

Yes, it's a legit Chrysler motor. Designed all in-house, pre-Mercedes buyout. Come to think of it... it might've been their last true in-house engine. The 3.6 is a late model engine, it's much more modern. Up to snuff with all the competitors. They come in a couple sizes, but they're called the Pentastar engines (in development, the Phoenix engines). They're not bad... but they are modern.
Actually I think the disaster 2.7 is the last engine designed before the Mercedes takeover. Chrysler always had solid engines until they launched that pig.
Audiokarma