Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
For the Love of the Music

Talking Schematic for a Zenith Transoceanic 3000

Anyone got one? Need to figure out how to get it apart. Band selector is noisy. Thanks Eric
Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofisher
Anyone got one? Need to figure out how to get it apart. Band selector is noisy. Thanks Eric
Why go to the trouble of taking the set apart? A shot or two of Deoxit in the bandswitch should cure the problem. (While you're at it, a shot of the same cleaner in the volume and tone controls wouldn't be a bad idea either.) I would think you should be able to get at that switch without even pulling the chassis, unless the switch itself is hidden behind or buried under some other part of the radio. Of course, a schematic and/or service manual wouldn't be a bad thing to have. I have a service manual and schematic for my Zenith R-70 AM/FM portable on order from ManualMan.com; you can get almost any Zenith Royal series schematic from here, although you might have to wait some time for the manuals to arrive in your mail (I ordered the R-70 manual on April 15 and am still waiting).

Kind regards,

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM
RadioHead

The bandswitch is easy to get at and spray with contact cleaner. Spray briefly then rotate fully back and forth. Be careful with it, though. It's a slightly weak design.

The shaft in the center of the switch is merely dimpled to hold it in place. Soldering the shaft to the switch mounts at a few locations will help a lot. If there's any play, the switch contacts may not be fully meshed. Rotate it slowly back and forth and see if the just the shaft turns a bit before the switch begins to rotate. If you have play, there's a problem. For now when changing bands, you can wiggle it back and forth till it settles into the right spot.

A service manual is at nostalgia Air: http://www.transoceanic.nostalgiaair.org/

-Ed