Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Excellent web sites for Broadcast gear and information

First, I apologize if this was already mentioned for I have been away from Videokarma for a while.

An excellent web site for looking at old broadcast equipment and for researching old broadcast news is at:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

Here you can look at all the old Broadcasting Magazines, RCA Broadcast News, Broadcast Yearbooks from all years and much, much more. They have everything scanned in high rez and downloadable in pdf format to read and research.

For example, http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ange-Guide.htm

lists all the old RCA Broadcast News guides from 1931 to 1984 (some issues are missing) but these are loaded with pictures and facts about RCA broadcast equipment.

The January 1954 issue for example is totally dedicated to color television equipment and the RCA TK-40 and TK-4A color slide camera. Later issues have a full story on the TK-41 and TK-26 cameras as well as the TP-11 and TP-15 multiplexers. These are a wealth of information.

Finally, the Broadcast Yearbooks lists (under the equipment sections) every station, what color broadcasting ability they have, i.e., network, film, slides, tape, and what videotape equipment they have, i.e., 2 Ampex or 3 RCA etc.

For example, I did not know that WSYR-TV ch. 3 in Syracuse (where I grew up) had a RCA TK-26 color film camera since 1958 for showing local color films and slides.

At any rate, check out these sites and a big thank you for the people who provided this wealth of information.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am checking out the RCA Broadcast News and looked at a couple of issues and am already saying "WOW!!!" This is BRILLIANT stuff, am downloading them as I speak! I now wonder if there's any broadcast news magazines for Australian television and radio as I am continuously looking for info on what broadcast cameras were used at Australian TV networks, particularly during the B&W era and early colour era. Anyhow the RCA mags will keep me busy for a while, I'll have fun flicking through those!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have been going through the RCA Broadcast News issues and am totally amazed with their contents and have learned a lot of great facts about the evolution of RCA TV camera technology. I was very stoked to find in issue no. 112 http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...2-1961-Dec.pdf a 9 page article on RCA broadcast outfit used at TV station QTQ-9 located in Brisbane, Queensland Australia giving so much detail on all of the gear used from the cameras to the OB vans, totally amazing!!! QTQ-9 used the early RCA TK-11/31 cameras and also a TK-21 vidicon camera. I swear I was hoping to see an article on QTQ-9 or other Aussie stations that used RCA cameras and I got my wish so I am very happy!!! I'm going to post a thread on this.