Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
It was PERFECT for where I wanted to put it Gellis. I don't want a Motorolla table set sitting there in the kitchen, or the Sony 301, and I have NEVER liked the little "Naxa" little 7" LCD DVD boombox thing....for where it is anyway. I don't want any wood or metal set in the kitchen...or something that gets HOT and has lots of vent holes...or takes ten minutes to come up. This little GE looks like it's doing EXACTLY what most boaught them for.

I like how BORING it looks here. it's actually a GREAT performer. I almost put the Sears 9" color set here, but it's actually a bigger cabinet.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Motorola Minion

Any monochrome set is a curiosity these days. Once I get my '64 Zenith 15L37 cleaned up, there WILL be a rule in my house that any black and white shows must be viewed on a BW set.

I have these two Philco 9" with some minor issues, either of which can do KP duty...Nov 2011 037.jpg
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
"micro" and quirky

I have a switcher before my transmitter. I can switch between "watch what is on in the front room", "watch what I am playing 24/7 on the Arcos AV700" (You'll notice it's almost ALL vintage playlists....repeated), and "watch something on a DVD" (NEVER done yet)

I do watch my electricity use though, so even though the transmitter and player are on 24/7...it's just a small solid state 50mw thing (HLLY Villa), and the sets are ONLY on when I wanna look at 'em. Since all my collection is "micro"....nothing I turn on is gonna piss off the fuse panel of an old '60s Huffmann apartment building.

The transmitter is sufficient enough for me to even take a little Sony set down to the driveway and watch it while replacing an alternator in one of the cars. THAT gets an awful lot of curious comments.

"So.....HOW the hell are you watching My Favorite Martian on that, and WHAT channel is carrying it...and so CLEAR??" I always make sure to be on batteries and have the rabbit ears up just to add to that mystery :-P

Last edited by AiboPet; 08-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 PM
"micro" and quirky

I love that little one on the right Goodlin. I think I seen one of those MANY years ago at an automotive swap meet RIGHT next to a Sony 303. Both of them were described as "car TV sets". The little Sony 303 even had a little custom wire bracket sorta thing that hung it from a seat back.

I would have gotten it if I had seen it "now".....but back then all I collected was muscle cars :-P Old GM muscle cars didn't appear to ever come with or have any TV set as an option. The Sony was apparently a Benz option, and I would imagine the little Philco you have there on the right was likely a Lincoln limousine item.

I remember them VERY well, because about that time, my dad had given me the little Sony 303 that was my first set.....and if "I" wanted it to function correctly, I had to figure out it's "no vertical" :-)

Still have the 303, and I keep it seperate from the rest. That is a special set to me. (I should get another one to put next to the 301 and 305)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
It was PERFECT for where I wanted to put it Gellis. I don't want a Motorolla table set sitting there in the kitchen, or the Sony 301, and I have NEVER liked the little "Naxa" little 7" LCD DVD boombox thing....for where it is anyway. I don't want any wood or metal set in the kitchen...or something that gets HOT and has lots of vent holes...or takes ten minutes to come up. This little GE looks like it's doing EXACTLY what most boaught them for.

I like how BORING it looks here. it's actually a GREAT performer. I almost put the Sears 9" color set here, but it's actually a bigger cabinet.

I bought the same model, branded as a Gold Star, at K-Mart back in 1983-1984 for my kitchen. I agree, not the most exciting set, but it did exactly what I bought it for --- to watch the news and weather while I ate lunch in the kitchen or prepared supper. I felt I didn't need a color set for that type of use, and it was smaller and considerabily cheaper than the $250 price a basic 13" color set was commanding back then. I moved in '85 and sold it for $10 to lighten my load.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I think I seen one of those MANY years ago at an automotive swap meet RIGHT next to a Sony 303. Both of them were described as "car TV sets". The little Sony 303 even had a little custom wire bracket sorta thing that hung it from a seat back.

I would imagine the little Philco you have there on the right was likely a Lincoln limousine item.
Yes, AiboPet, the Philco on the right was an option in 1966-67 FoMoCo Cars. And from what Ive read here, Lincoln being most likely. My friend gave me that set if I promised not to unload it. It came as an option in his uncle's Town Car bought in Wilkes Barre PA, which had 4 UHF (and NO VHF) channels. It has a UHF loop built into the back, so it probably worked well in that area.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

[QUOTE=AiboPet;3043935]

I would have gotten it if I had seen it "now".....but back then all I collected was muscle cars :-P Old GM muscle cars didn't appear to ever come with or have any TV set as an option. The Sony was apparently a Benz option, and I would imagine the little Philco you have there on the right was likely a Lincoln limousine item.

I have a 1965 Lincoln Lehmann-Petersen Executive Limo, one of 50 made & 9 left, & in between the 2 rearwards-facing seats right behind the partition, is a little cabinet that at one time held a 5-303 quite nicely. Even has the Sony power jack, & I think, an antenna jack. Those little 5-303 sets were QUITE the "Chi-Chi" items back in the Sixties. They WEREN'T cheap, they were well made, & generally didn't give trouble & performed quite well. MAYBE mine got swapped out later for a KV-5000, who knows...(grin)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 AM
"micro" and quirky

A 5100 (which I JUST got ahold of last week)...woulda looked just ducky there if that cabinet has the extra depth of the Trinitron set (about 4 more inches deep). It also would have had to change the DC plug. I'm not at home right now, but first thing I noticed is it doesn't use the old style 4-prong Sony plug of the '60s. I know it DOES run on DC, but I forget what it did for DC power. The AC is just a two prong cord.

I'm actually DOWN one of those 4-prong Sony power cords (the regular AC one)...because I got a Sony 301 that didn't have the cord. I share TWO cords between FOUR Sony sets (of which one doesn't run yet anyway). 301,303,305 (and the 700U I can't seem to get going) all use that cord :-(