Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

1980's Console Television

I was wondering if my 1980's Console Television is begining to show its age or what? I have noticed that when I first turn it on it takes awhile for the brighteness to come up on the Picture Tube.

Also, when first turned on it takes just a few seconds for the true white to come out of the display. It can at first have a green tint to the white for the first few seconds before turning to pure white.

I wondered if it just takes a little while for the CRT to properly warmup?

I seem to have a little different picture with various types of converter box(es) that I have tried. The converter box that gives me the brightess and clearest picture seems to have some type of interference with the particular set that I use. When the box warms up it shows diagonal lines in a dark picture view on the TV. I was told this is some type of interfence between the box and the TV Set itself? If there is a lot of light in the room then you can't notice this problem as much as in a darker room.

Any particular box out there better to use on a 1980's RCA Console TV?

I am currently using a Digital Stream from Radio Shack.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Perhaps a Zenith box would suffice? Still made overseas of course, but at least not china.

Unfortunately I don't know what to say about the CRT problem, or if the CRT itself is the problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Perhaps a Zenith box would suffice? Still made overseas of course, but at least not china.

Unfortunately I don't know what to say about the CRT problem, or if the CRT itself is the problem.
All my Zenith and Insignia boxes are made in China. The Digital Stream boxes are up there, performance wise, with the Zeniths. It's the Magnavox, RCA's and GE's, that don't seem to measure up.
It's probably the end of the line for the RCA TV, CRT wise.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
All my Zenith and Insignia boxes are made in China. The Digital Stream boxes are up there, performance wise, with the Zeniths. It's the Magnavox, RCA's and GE's, that don't seem to measure up.
It's probably the end of the line for the RCA TV, CRT wise.
I actually have a NOS CRT for this particular set. I,however, am not going to have it put in until the TV will no longer work. We still get a good picture and the colors are still true.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Administrator

The symptoms sound like a CRT getting tired but as long as it tracks okay when it's warmed up then just keep on using it.

As for the interference have you tried moving the box a few feet away from the TV?
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
The symptoms sound like a CRT getting tired but as long as it tracks okay when it's warmed up then just keep on using it.

As for the interference have you tried moving the box a few feet away from the TV?
No, but a good idea to try.

Thank You.

As for the CRT issue yes it is fine after a few seconds of being on.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like the CRT slow warming. It will slowly get worse
but may as well milk it as long as you can.

73 Zeno
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Dammit, so even the Koreans are doing nothing to stop china from becoming a superpower. My 2007 19" LG widescreen flat-panel monitor was made in Korea. I haven't seen a non-chinese unit at my store since.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Dammit, so even the Koreans are doing nothing to stop china from becoming a superpower. My 2007 19" LG widescreen flat-panel monitor was made in Korea. I haven't seen a non-chinese unit at my store since.
Look at North Korea and how backwards they are, in comparison, to South Korea. Letting politics overrule good judgement.