Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

There's nothing more disappointing or even depressing than encountering a non-incandescent light.

Our local (Aussie/Canadian-investor-owned) power company is at or approaching maximum capacity using nasty coal-fired plants and other sources to sell electric power to its customer base. They push Chinese Compact Flourescent lamps literally into your hands, hoping you'll use them, keeping the gotta-upgrade boogeyman at bay a few more years.

If everyone used hard-switched outlet strips on as many modern electronic devices as possible, you'd save enough energy to power a warm, freindly, soothing incandescent bulb by your favorite chair or bedside table
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Buddy of mine & his college roomate had a unique way of defrosting THEIR fridge....Taking a soldering iron, making holes in the ice, then stuffing a Bottle Rocket in the holes, & setting it off...BLAMMO ! But it worked...Both these guys were pretty smart & had WAY too much time on their hands...Which is always DANGEROUS...(grin)
that is probably the funniest thing I've read in the last week!

Were they also the 'remove stump with as much dynamite as you can pack in to it' types?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yep...Winston, my buddy's roomate, inherited this farm that was FULL of stumps.. He & John got a case or so of Dyna-Might, & Set To...This was before I knew Winston, or I'd likely wheedled in on the deal...They blew up stumps for 2 or 3 days-And had a helluva good time doing it....Another buddy got some dynamite, just cause he wanted to, & we had a Dynamite Party one night...You can toss a 1/4, 1/2 stick on the ground, set it off, all it does is make a loud BANG ! & maybe blow out a couple handfulls of dirt. Big whoop. But now, if you put something on TOP of it, say a hay bale, or an old tire, IT will get blown sky-high, & is most impressive.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
As far as refrigerators, my old Sears Coldspot I think it was, a late '70s model 17-18 cu ft avocado green color, separate freezer on top, pulled just over 4 Amps when it ran.
Those units made in the 60s-early70s were the biggest energy hogs and, just like the cars, got WORSE in the later 70s.

My parents had a side by side 24 cu ft GE that was "Harvest Gold" when they built the house in '69 it lasted until 1995 with NO maintenance. It pulled 7 amps IIRC I hate to think how much energy that beast consumed during its existence

I strongly object to the notion that the oldest stuff is the most inefficient.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 watts draw on the watt meter. They have enough nerve to give it an energy star rating! I use a small dorm refrigerator in Mississippi that draws around 500 watts running. It runs on a 1200 watt generator if the power goes out. I defrost it once every two months.
And yes, I use a timer on a strip to turn off the electronics when I go to bed. Makes the capacitors in the power supplies last a lot longer!
I use a small incandescent for a downstairs light as I don't trust the CFL power supplies since one started flickering and when I broke it open the board was darkened from heat and the capacitors were bulged!
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 wattsdraw on the watt meter...
Therein is the #1 reason I do not have a plasma TV. TV is on here 15 hours a day or so, and a plasma would be expensive to feed.

I can make my 40" LCD use more power by turning up the backlight all the way to 5. Then it reaches 220W. Run backlight at 3 and power is about 90-100 Watts. Picture is plenty bright. In fact looks much better at a lower setting. However seems like most new LCD sets now use LEDs for the backlight, not sure about power usage with those.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Plasmas are terrible for power consumption... you don't even have to hook up a meter to one to tell that much, just stand about 3 feet away and you can feel the heat off 'em.

LCDs aren't that great either... and some of the fancy "eco" LED ones actually draw more power than comparable CCFL-backlit units. The 42" Hitachi LED unit we have here pulls about 130W on a pretty low brightness setting.

OTOH, I picked up a 2004-ish 52" CRT rear-projection HDTV off the side of the road a year or so ago, and fixed it up for a friend. Out of curiosity I hooked it up to the Kill-A-Watt and could hardly believe the reading I got... it was something like 65W.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I can no longer remain silent about this heinous baloney.
I agree completely. Perhaps I'd better be careful, lest I really get worked up into a lather about this sort of thing.

One of the electrical utilities around here is running a "turn in your energy hog" campaign. Their plan is collect old refrigerators that are still working and give the owner a little bit of cash for them (about $30 or so).

I'm not sure what they expect someone to do with the $30, as it won't put even a minor dent into the purchase of a new refrigerator to replace the old one. That's the first problem...even the most basic new refrigerators sold at various home improvement stores around here are eye-poppingly expensive.

Second problem...reliability. I hear lots of people who traded in an old but perfectly functional refrigerator say that they wish they hadn't as the new replacement is not as reliable.

Third...is the efficiency really better? Though I don't have any truly hard evidence of this, I'd swear the older refrigerants remove heat better than the newer, greener ones. I know my 1974 GE refrigerator with R12 (IIRC) cools down a whole lot faster than a very similar 2001 model charged with R134A. Both share the same basic physical design, only the styling has evolved to stay with the times.

I also hear from lots of people who buy new dehumidifiers, only to have them last only about a year before the fan motor breaks or the cooling system leaks. These things aren't cheap either! My 40-year-old (sold new in late 1973) Sears Coldspot "Blotter" dehumidifier is still running perfectly, with one replacement fan motor and a new electrical plug in all of its years. Power draw numbers between it and a newer (1995) Magic Chef unit are within a few percent of each other.

Compressor motors, thermostats, and evap/condenser coils sure don't seem to have changed much. I supppose that maybe their internals have been redesigned a little over time, but that's probably about it. Materials used to insulate the refrigerator also seem to have changed little.

As long as the door seals on an older fridge are good and the cooling system is healthy, I just can't see there being a whole lot of difference.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_the_'Nole View Post
LCDs aren't that great either... and some of the fancy "eco" LED ones actually draw more power than comparable CCFL-backlit units. The 42" Hitachi LED unit we have here pulls about 130W on a pretty low brightness setting.
My Insignia 19e720a12 19" LED-LCD flat panel draws 25 watts when operating, under one watt in standby, and is Energy Star certified, according to its specifications in the instruction manual.

The new flat screens with LED backlights should draw much less current than the earlier ones with CCFL backlighting. Of course, the larger screen sets will draw more current, even using LEDs as backlights. I have read here of some very large flat screens that draw upwards of 500 watts; someone mentioned in a post recently here at VK a flat screen that drew 580 watts (!) in normal operation. Much of that may well be due to the power source for the backlight (CCFL[s]) -- again, the larger the lamp (or the number of lamps), the more current will be required to operate them. My best guess is that 80 percent of the power draw of a modern large-screen flat panel TV is the power supply for the backlights, since there are no power-hogging tubes in the TV chassis or electron beams in the panel itself. Home theater setups with 1kW, 5.1(or more)-channel surround sound and a large TV, however, are a different story. These can and often do draw well upwards of 500 watts, and will drive the owner's energy bill sky high if he or she (or his or her family) watches a lot of TV and/or listens to the sound system for hours at a time. I can also envision a set like miniman82's DLP drawing 500+ watts, due to the arc lamp and its hefty power supply.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Motorola Minion

I did a power check of some various flat-screens:

Philips 50" LCD 2006- 448 watts steady
Panasonic 42" Plasma 2004 - 220 watts varies
Panasonic 37" LCD 2009- 64 watts steady
Samsung 50" LED 2010- in progress

Based on what LED does for exterior lighting energy use versus metal halide and high-pressure sodium, I expect it to be low.
Audiokarma
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
electronics packrat

Got my '57 G.E. defrosting as I type this. It's in the kitchen instead of being the storage frige now that it's outlasted 3 new ones.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Brings back memories... I remember growing up with a 1951 or so Frigidaire and my mother taking everything out of it every few weeks to defrost it. And the thick frost buildup. Break a chunk off and eat it like a snow cone... !
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Philips 50" LCD 2006- 448 watts steady
That seems high. Does it have a backlight level setting?

My 2008 Sony 40" LCD has 1-5 backlight setting in the menu. 1 is lowest about 80 Watts, 5 highest, about 220 Watts. I set it to 3 90-95 Watts as measured with a Kill A Watt meter.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Buddy of mine & his college roomate had a unique way of defrosting THEIR fridge....Taking a soldering iron, making holes in the ice, then stuffing a Bottle Rocket in the holes, & setting it off...BLAMMO ! But it worked...Both these guys were pretty smart & had WAY too much time on their hands...Which is always DANGEROUS...(grin)
I'm amazed the entire refrigerator didn't explode into the proverbial "million pieces" when the bottle rocket(s) went off.

You are so right about your friend and his college roommate having too much time on their hands. Did they get away with their very risky stunt?

Using any kind of explosive device if you don't know (or are not sure of) what you are doing can be lethal, as well as risky and/or downright dangerous. Were they living in an off-campus apartment or in a dormitory? In either situation, I'd think they would have been sternly warned or even punished if word of their stunt ever got out. If they were in a dormitory, they would likely hear from the campus police; if they were in an off-campus apartment, they would get the boom lowered on them (and possibly evicted) by the landlord.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was visiting my mother a few weeks ago and she was excited, they had just gotten rid of the 80s era refrigerator in the basement. The power company took it in on their new program where they pay $50 for any old working unit. 2 men came by and loaded it in a truck.