Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unusual Collection? 5" & 8" Portables!

Even before the death of Analog broadcasting, I can remember small portable TV sets being easy to come by at Thrift Stores, Flea Markets and the like. Some of my sets I have had for many years now. 8" is as big as I ever purchase.

I tend to avoid buying Black & White sets unless they really stand out to me. I'll usually buy them if they're a name I know, and appear to be in nice shape, or are very old. If I see a 5" Color set, regardless of brand I always buy them. Mind you, this only applies when I'm thrifting.

I'm currently, very specifically, seeking out the small number of 5" Trinitron sets Sony made. I made a massive score on this effort on eBay last night (See below for picture)

Sony sets I am currently seeking (if anyone has a spare)
KV5000
KV5200
KV5300

Since threads are not interesting with out pictures and a little back information, I figured I would include some! 56k Warning~

Sony KV 25TH:

Thanks to this site, I knew that this set was well before I found it. I didn't think I would ever stumble in to one, since collectors covet this set pretty heavily. This one is complete, it has all the special goodies that were supposed to be with it, with it. This is so new to me, I don't have it in my hands yet. This is the photo from eBay. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller on faster shipping.

Hitachi CK-200:

Found at a Flea Market. Paid $7 for and is one of the best performing little sets I own. Interesting little fact worth noting. It's my only 5" set with a 75 Ohm F-type connection.

Sony KV5100:

My favorite set! Purchased this off eBay recently. It cost me $40 which I felt was reasonable. Came with the original Manual. Sadly a high hours set. I'll make a thread on this one later for some help I need on it, but it works!

Toshiba C059

Offered to me when I went to pick up my KV8100 locally, got it for $20. It's a really attractive little set which works very well. Setting the tuner is very confusing.

Panasonic TR-545

Another Flea Market find. Got it for $20 with manual and original cord. Really neat with the way the TV pops out of the shell. Didn't work when I got it. Took very little to get working again. Mostly just cleaning the potentiometers and repairing the Cord safety switch.

Sony ???

I don't even know what model this set is or how old it is. All the paper labels are totally gone. Ripped completely off. Interesting little set, bigger than I usually buy at 8", but neat never the less. It works, but the tube is tired, the picture is not very bright. $3.99 at Goodwill years ago. I remember testing it at the store and getting a signal over the air.

Sony KV8100

Purchased on eBay, and I drove down to Chicago to get it, since it was local. Very nice set. Made in 1986 and has nearly no hours on it. Was supposedly given to the original owner back in the 80's as a bonus for where ever he worked, and he had no use for it, he just kept it in a closet. I watch this one on a regular bases.

The TWINS, Contec KBR-1541 & SPECTRA CTV-5:

I don't normally buy duplicate sets, but the Contec sets I got years apart from each other. The set to the far left was my first ever color portable TV and was given to me almost brand new when I was a really little kid. It still works to this day. The one on the far right, I found at Salvation Army for $7.04, and is in almost brand new condition. It works even better. The spectra sets I got together from the same local thrift store. No idea why someone had two, but I bought them both, and they both work fine. Despite being cheaper feeling, they both put out a fantastic, sharp picture. Interestingly enough, these four sets are my only Portable 5" sets that have A/V inputs!

The Entire Collection:

The sets I didn't mention are on the top. Three are Emerson, one is a Sony Watchman, and a Goldstar. All good working sets, but I very seldom use them. Two of the Emersons have internal issues. I don't have the cord for the Watchman, and the Goldstar has very brittle plastic.

And lastly:

My Blonder-Tongue! I have it hooked to an outside antenna, and it reaches 4 blocks by it self. I use Channel 13. This little set up is how I utilize my little TV's. The VCR is a Sony SVO-1430, and is very high quality. The Nintendo Wii sitting on the top is modded so it can do DVD movies and downloaded on to SD Card video, and Netflix. The A/V switch lets me change between these. The original Nintendo Wii came out before Analog TV was dead, and before the death of Tube Television, so it is set up to natively work with them. The picture it gives to my old sets is amazing, and allows me to be able to use modern media on the classic sets. it has WiFi, and the remote is totally wireless, so I can mess control the Wii pretty far from any of the sets.

Last edited by Arcanine; 01-31-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 PM
M is for Memory

I had and parted a Sony KV-5900. I still have the screen cover and some odds and ends from it.

I have a Panasonic just like that one.

That top Emerson was the family kitchen set from ~1990, before I was born, to about 2003 when we moved, and the folks put it at the curb for god knows why....The jokes on them since I acquired another one since then....Now if I only I could find the 15-19" Emerson that was my bedroom TV until the move.

You should talk to a member here by the name of Aibopet (I feel like I'm not spelling it right). You and he probably have a decent amount in common.

About the only SS small sets I buy are 60's to early 70's Sonys, and only when dirt cheap and under threat of destruction if I don't take them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-31-2015, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I had and parted a Sony KV-5900. I still have the screen cover and some odds and ends from it.

I have a Panasonic just like that one.

That top Emerson was the family kitchen set from ~1990, before I was born, to about 2003 when we moved, and the folks put it at the curb for god knows why....The jokes on them since I acquired another one since then....Now if I only I could find the 15-19" Emerson that was my bedroom TV until the move.

You should talk to a member here by the name of Aibopet (I feel like I'm not spelling it right). You and he probably have a decent amount in common.

About the only SS small sets I buy are 60's to early 70's Sonys, and only when dirt cheap and under threat of destruction if I don't take them.
KV5900? Never heard of one of those. Or do you mean a KV5100? I'm actually looking for a Flyback for mine.

My Emerson sets all work. One has a bad crack in the plastic over the screen so it is obnoxious to watch. The other goes very dim after being on for an hour or two, and the third is just a pain in the neck.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
M is for Memory

It probably was a 5100, I miss-copied the number from your post. I might still have the flyback from mine.

The far right Emerson is the one I was talking about. Great sets. The two I've had never had a problem...Except for the folks not knowing to tweak the vertical hold on our first one. Whenever the power was out we'd try to scare up enough D cells to power it up, and often succeeded.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It probably was a 5100, I miss-copied the number from your post. I might still have the flyback from mine.

The far right Emerson is the one I was talking about. Great sets. The two I've had never had a problem...Except for the folks not knowing to tweak the vertical hold on our first one. Whenever the power was out we'd try to scare up enough D cells to power it up, and often succeeded.
I live down in Lake Geneva, so I am not far from you. If you end up still having the flyback let me know. I actually need one for mine.

It's the old Sony style red fly back.

As for the Emersons, the black one works except the radio. The silver one goes dim, and the other silver one has the cracked plastic screen cover. They do have a nice picture when they work correctly. I need to tinker with them more.
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
I made a massive score on this effort on eBay last night...
You got a great deal ($150) on that KV-25TH. I'd never think of selling mine that cheap.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
You got a great deal ($150) on that KV-25TH. I'd never think of selling mine that cheap.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even looking for a KV-25TH, I was looking for a KV5200 and it's sister sets. I went from Google images to eBay, and landed in a section I hadn't seen before that had various other sony portable TV's listed, so I scrolled down and saw this.

Given their rarity and typical cost, I had decided it would not be feasible to add one to my collection. I was totally wrong!

As soon as I read the description and the price, despite the flaw of pitting on the top silver chrome on top of the set, I couldn't click Buy It Now fast enough.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
As soon as I read the description and the price, despite the flaw of pitting on the top silver chrome on top of the set, I couldn't click Buy It Now fast enough.
I bought mine used when it was almost new. It also had the frosted look to most of the chrome then. Most I have seen have this, so it must be normal. Yours appears to have some hand rubbing (polishing) around the buttons perhaps from being used a bit.

Just a fabulous find! Enjoy it!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Sony KV5100 which I think it was a Hospital set because the UHF tuner is missing.

Also the Panasonic TR-545 too.

The other set do look familiar .I probably have some of them in my collection .I love these small sets.They take up less room.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I have a Sony KV5100 which I think it was a Hospital set because the UHF tuner is missing.

Also the Panasonic TR-545 too.

The other set do look familiar .I probably have some of them in my collection .I love these small sets.They take up less room.
My KV5100 is my favorite set. I watch it quite a lot more than I feel I should with it being such a high hour set.
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That is a very cool collection.....

Old 02-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I SURE DO wish I could get my KV-7010 UA back...My Dad got it in NYC, at Hammacher Schlemmer back in '69...The local Sony distributor never had seen one, until we took it there. Back in 1969-70, it was the SMALLEST color set going, & it REALLY had an unbelievably gorgeous picture. I've had a couple of KV-5000s thru the years, & NONE of them looked as good as the 7" set. The KV-4000s are basically as sharp as it was.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I SURE DO wish I could get my KV-7010 UA back...My Dad got it in NYC, at Hammacher Schlemmer back in '69...The local Sony distributor never had seen one, until we took it there. Back in 1969-70, it was the SMALLEST color set going, & it REALLY had an unbelievably gorgeous picture. I've had a couple of KV-5000s thru the years, & NONE of them looked as good as the 7" set. The KV-4000s are basically as sharp as it was.
If I ever run in to one of those sets I intend to buy it.

I have my heart set on a KV5200 next, but I am having a very difficult time locating one.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today's Treasures!

Today I added my KV-25th and two 5-303W sets.

I was astonished to see the KV-25th had EVERYTHING with it. Even the original name of the purchaser.

And this is the first 5-303W

That is all it displays. It has sound. I am going to recap the upper board. See if it brings the set back.

And I drove down to Chicago land and purchased this one

It works. The focus is a little off but it works and is very watchable. Came with all the manuals, everything. Every last little thing!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had to do a double take when I saw the box on the KV-25th and how it states "Made in Taiwan ROC". You'd think for something that Sony was so proud of they would have made this in Japan.
Audiokarma