Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Durabrand TVs

I seem to remember when the last of the CRT TVs were being sold, I saw on Walmart's website. They had black Durabrand TVs about 20" or 25" and I remember in the description it said they were mono. I don't recall them having input jacks either. Was Walmart really selling these at that time, or were they just old items still on their website? I recall most Durabrands I saw were silver, I've never seen black that I recall. This was back in 2008-2009.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure. But I found one on the roadside about 13" or so and it was an SDTV. It has a black cabinet. And it works.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm paraphrasing Tommy Boy here, but China-Mart could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves, as long as it's cheap enough.

Them and McGreasy's tie for top spot on my list of bad companies. No wonder they often share a roof.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
I seem to remember when the last of the CRT TVs were being sold, I saw on Walmart's website. They had black Durabrand TVs about 20" or 25" and I remember in the description it said they were mono. I don't recall them having input jacks either. Was Walmart really selling these at that time, or were they just old items still on their website? I recall most Durabrands I saw were silver, I've never seen black that I recall. This was back in 2008-2009.
It seems, I've seen them until the end of 2010. They all could receive DTV stations.
I gave a silver Durabrand 13" to one of my neighbors that could receive DTV and was stereo and had jacks to use in his workshop.
The convergence was always slightly off on the lower left corner. Built by Funai, they had about the same sensitivity as the Magnavox DTV converters.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember seeing regular curved-screen crt TVs with black plastic cases at Walmart in 2008-2009. As I recall they were sansui though.
Audiokarma
Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I'm paraphrasing Tommy Boy here, but China-Mart could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves, as long as it's cheap enough.

Them and McGreasy's tie for top spot on my list of bad companies. No wonder they often share a roof.
Being a fellow cat lover, I love your avatar!
Speaking of cats, when I go to Wally-world, they never seem to have Tidy-cats in the bag. There's a place for it, but it's usually empty. I don't buy the other sizes, as they're too expensive and the kind I use works just great.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Being a fellow cat lover, I love your avatar!
Speaking of cats, when I go to Wally-world, they never seem to have Tidy-cats in the bag. There's a place for it, but it's usually empty. I don't buy the other sizes, as they're too expensive and the kind I use works just great.
Ha, thanks. I cropped a picture of a tee shirt. There are other Grumpy Cat, a.k.a. Tardar Sauce, photos with that phrase, but I prefer this one.

Also, R.I.P. Colonel Meow. |:<
Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

We almost always find our bagged litter at Wallyworld. Love our cats!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I want to say they sold them as late as 2011? iirc the bigger ones were Funai and the 13" was Orion.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
I remember seeing regular curved-screen crt TVs with black plastic cases at Walmart in 2008-2009. As I recall they were sansui though.
Sanyo 32" CRT sets were among the last at Wally World here - Wally world gave them away to employees for pennies after the DTV transition. I know of 2 that were dragged home in sealed boxes for $12.72 dollars total. Only one of the two survives - the other was dragged down with a dresser by a 4-year old and destroyed (she/4YO was uninjured)- the shadow mask deformed, and the F-fitting got yanked from the tiny tuner. I grabbed the d-coil and yoke from the carcass and help set it on the curb.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 12-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

I had a Durabrand 15" el cheapo flat CRT set from around 2006 or so. Upon opening it up I discovered that it had a recycled Dell branded CRT in it. This was apparently common in bottom feeder Chinese sets at the time. The cabinet face was masked off to make it look more like a regular TV CRT.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 12-05-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I got my only new set at China Mart in early 2006, a Sanyo model DS20425. I curbed it in 2013 upon getting into older sets. I still have the remote though, not sure how that survived.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen a few bottom end off brand sets with recycled CRTs in them (I may have posted about them when I first found them, but I can't think what search for). Though nothing bigger than a 21" and only the 14" sets had PC monitor CRTs. The ones with the used 21" TV CRTs in them were always awful. Those with the monitor CRTs produced a surprisingly good picture in spite of their awful chassis. In hindsight perhaps I should have saved one of them.

They were always the worst of the worst build quality wise as you'd imagine. Misaligned/missing jacks, hideous chrome trim, 1 tiny speaker behind oversized grills for 2. Even these bottom of the range sets had at least 1 AV input, usually 2. I can't imagine anyone selling a set in 2000+ with only an RF input. Even the more recent of those $10 5" B&W sets had a AV input.

Did sets with only RF in really survive past the 90s?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
I've seen a few bottom end off brand sets with recycled CRTs in them (I may have posted about them when I first found them, but I can't think what search for). Though nothing bigger than a 21" and only the 14" sets had PC monitor CRTs. The ones with the used 21" TV CRTs in them were always awful. Those with the monitor CRTs produced a surprisingly good picture in spite of their awful chassis. In hindsight perhaps I should have saved one of them.

They were always the worst of the worst build quality wise as you'd imagine. Misaligned/missing jacks, hideous chrome trim, 1 tiny speaker behind oversized grills for 2. Even these bottom of the range sets had at least 1 AV input, usually 2. I can't imagine anyone selling a set in 2000+ with only an RF input. Even the more recent of those $10 5" B&W sets had a AV input.

Did sets with only RF in really survive past the 90s?

I have a Funai (symphonic branded) set from 2001 that is RF only in my. Bedroom. I know it is a total peice of crap, but it won't die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Sanyo 32" CRT sets were among the last at Wally World here - Wally world gave them away to employees for pennies after the DTV transition. I know of 2 that were dragged home in sealed boxes for $12.72 dollars total. Only one of the two survives - the other was dragged down with a dresser by a 4-year old and destroyed (she/4YO was uninjured)- the shadow mask deformed, and the F-fitting got yanked from the tiny tuner. I grabbed the d-coil and yoke from the carcass and help set it on the curb.
The ones I saw looked like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kB2DtJlNYHU
Audiokarma