Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith 3000-1 problem and a cure

I found this 3000-1 at an estate sale last weekend. Got it for a fair price but quite grimy. The owner pulled the batts in 1997 (his note inside) and it was unused since then. Build stamp inside of 10/20/67.

Handle is strong. Chrome was minor pitted but much better with some steel wool. The vinyl is shrinking but not too bad. Problem was I could not get the back open to power it up. The piano hinge was seized. I tried several oils and nothing happened and I did not want to force. Chuck Az suggested an oil called Kano Kroil. Bought an 8oz can and used a small brush to apply. Three coats and 1/2 hour later the hinge was free. Anyone ever use this stuff?

Now for some D cells and the original Zenith AC adapter to arrive. Power up post to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (4).jpg (88.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

My dad use to give my brother and I cans of the stuff Kano Silikroil as it had a silicone lube. Kind of a pink color and don't care for the smell of it. But it was a really good lubricant.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM
M is for Memory

Good old Penetrating Oil...I'm partial to PB B'laster. If you've ever needed to work on rusty cars with stuck fasteners you learn to use penetrating oil.

I don't often need the stuff for electronics, but when I have it has been quite useful.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tom, I did the penetrating oil first...multiple times and brands. I never heard of Kroil but it is astounding. And I have a lot left over so send me a small bottle and you all can have some.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just a heads-up. If you intend to use the radio on batteries, be sure and check for leakage current. My 3000-1 had about 200 microamps of drain with the switch off. Turned out to be the battery feed-thru connector had leakage between terminals and between a terminal and chassis. No original parts available, so I re-did the whole feed-thru using model airplane style connectors. No more leakage.
Audiokarma
Old 03-20-2019, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Being an antique fan collector and restorer I have heard of Kroil and PB Blaster quite a bit and can attest to how good it is from fellow collectors and restorers (I'm a member of the Antique Fan Collectors Association or AFCA also known as) but as far as using it myself I've never used Kroil or PB Blaster myself as none of the stores near me carry it locally.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Being an antique fan collector and restorer I have heard of Kroil and PB Blaster quite a bit and can attest to how good it is from fellow collectors and restorers (I'm a member of the Antique Fan Collectors Association or AFCA also known as) but as far as using it myself I've never used Kroil or PB Blaster myself as none of the stores near me carry it locally.
You in Canada?...Every Homedepot (usually in/near the tool department) and O'riley autoparts here stocks PB B'laster, probably other places too, but that usually is where I am when I realize I need another can.

I may buy my own can of Kroil to try...Spring auto repair season is coming here.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You in Canada?...Every Homedepot (usually in/near the tool department) and O'riley autoparts here stocks PB B'laster, probably other places too, but that usually is where I am when I realize I need another can.

I may buy my own can of Kroil to try...Spring auto repair season is coming here.
No I live in Indiana. But I don't really get out much, plus I mainly go to the local Ace Hardware Store which is only a mile up the road from me, and they don't carry Kroil or PB Blaster. The Nearest O' Reilly Auto Parts store near me is about 5 miles away from me and its just easier for me to go some place that is only a mile away for all of my parts runs rather than driving all the way to the other end of town.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:43 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
No I live in Indiana. But I don't really get out much, plus I mainly go to the local Ace Hardware Store which is only a mile up the road from me, and they don't carry Kroil or PB Blaster. The Nearest O' Reilly Auto Parts store near me is about 5 miles away from me and its just easier for me to go some place that is only a mile away for all of my parts runs rather than driving all the way to the other end of town.
Here Ace and HD are a block from each other and the closest stores...Ace seems to be a good bit more expensive than HD so if I can help it I buy from HD to save monies.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Here Ace and HD are a block from each other and the closest stores...Ace seems to be a good bit more expensive than HD so if I can help it I buy from HD to save monies.
I understand I definitely try not to spend too much myself as I only work a part time job thats only 2 days a week, so I don't have a whole ton of money to spend on stuff.

that's why I try to ask on here about stuff like old radios or stuff like that before I buy them to restore so that I make sure I'm not making a bad investment deal.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2019, 03:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah Kano Kroil is a Nashville product. I bought my first can a decade ago. Good stuff, they are based in a old industrial park off-ish from Murfreesboro road.