Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

TV/movie filming locations

Is anyone else into this? I find it enjoyable to try to find out where TV shows and movies were filmed. There is a lot more info on this on the internet these days. I like to find the places on Google Maps and see how they have changed compared to when they were in the show or movie. Some places change a lot, some look the same. It's especially neat when someone makes a trip and posts their own pictures of them.

Sometimes you'll get the information and it is vague, like just a road or area, and then you can go on Google Streetview and try to find the spot. It's a bit of an adventure.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:01 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

don't do it a lot, but it is interesting.

Yesterday I ran into this combo of rehash and new info on "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in which the location of the "big W" was positively identified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kB8v8bwEpg
Old 05-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I love MMMMW for it's location shots.

Another good one is the old TV show Highway Patrol, they had no budget so almost everything was shot on location in and around Los Angeles.
They made little attempt to disguise anything, leaving street signs visible in shots and often using real addresses.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I've read the worst job on that show was trying to keep Broderick Crawford reasonably sober..
Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Using real addresses? They must not have consulted the studio lawyers.

Living in Chicago and watching crime shows supposedly based on Chicago, it was always a kick when they gave an address as some number greater than 1000 EAST such and such street, as that would be in Lake Michigan.
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was watching a movie called "Liberal Arts" co-written, directed, and starring Josh Radnor, a Columbus boy, (who played Ted on How I Met Your Mother.) I recognized it was shot mostly in Gambier, Ohio, Kenyon College where he went to school. But there was a scene in a bookstore that really caught my eye. It was unmistakeably the used bookstore just down the street from my house. Confirmed in credits, and with the bookstore owner the next time I went in there. Small world.

Chip
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
Is anyone else into this? I find it enjoyable to try to find out where TV shows and movies were filmed. There is a lot more info on this on the internet these days. I like to find the places on Google Maps and see how they have changed compared to when they were in the show or movie. Some places change a lot, some look the same. It's especially neat when someone makes a trip and posts their own pictures of them.

Sometimes you'll get the information and it is vague, like just a road or area, and then you can go on Google Streetview and try to find the spot. It's a bit of an adventure.
That's an ace idea. Too bad someone torched the castle-like structure at Toronto's Jamie Bell Adventure Playground after Orphan was filmed. It was rebuilt but doesn't look the same. Part of it was filmed in Port Hope; exterior shots of the family's property and the bridge near the house I'm guessing.

Lots of movies are filmed in Southern Ontario and BC, probably cheaper that way. Filming anything where I am... well, it would save much more but any reputable production company wouldn't want to take the risk. I certainly don't blame them.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
M is for Memory

When I lived in Lakeland Florida, I shopped at the Southgate mall a few times, and was told it was used in the movie Edward Scissor Hands....I've never seen the movie through, but accidentally recorded it off of a movie channel that did a poor job of publishing a schedule....I watched ~10 minutes of it, decided it was stupid, and fast forwarded through to see what Southgate looked like during the filming/to confirm the local yokels weren't BSing me.

IIRC dad does a bit of this with Chicago based shows. In some Harison Ford movie IIRC the Fugitive dad commented on in some chase scene they went instantly between the insides of 2 buildings that are several miles apart.

One place I'd love to see is what IIRC they called "castle depression" in the movie Eddie & The Cruisers. It was a giant sculpture/amusement park made out of 50's era scrap.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I've read the worst job on that show was trying to keep Broderick Crawford reasonably sober..
I heard, from my parents, that he was the biggest drunk in Hollywood.
His parting message was "leave your blood at the blood bank, not on the highway".
Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

They film a lot on the bike path route I take to Eldorado park in Long Beach CA and to the pier at Seal Beach. They built a copy of the Amityville Horror house next to the archery range in the park. I read on the internet that the owners of the original house back east wouldn't let anyone on their property because of all the tourists snooping around. They filmed an episode of the TV show Scorpian at the park lake. They brought in large fake Woolly Mammoths and lowered them into the edge of the lake with a crane. I think they wanted it to look like "La Brea Tar Pits". They filmed some WWI movie on the other side of the park. They built the front of a 14th century castle and had a lot of WWI period antique cars parked out front. They had two 1920s dressed folks sitting in a car on a flatbed trailor behind a camera truck. They drove around the park shooting the car drive with film cameras in the back of the truck pulling the trailor. They filmed American Sniper at the Seal Beach Pier and also at a local bar down there. They built carnival booths with night lights next to the pier. I didn't see the movie but a one trailor showed the sniper shooting targets at a Carnival. The film crews are usual pretty polite to people passing through. They did stop me on my bike from going through the bridge by the Wolly Mammoths; they said they had put explosive charges in the lake and didn't want them to accidentally go off. They had 2-3 fire trucks parked in the parking lot.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Robert Mitchum's 1958 "Thunder Road" was actually filmed in/around Asheville, NC. where the movie supposedly takes place.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alot of old TV series were filmed at the old Desilu backlot.

I find alot of info on TV show/Movie forums.To many to list but all can be Googled.It was interesting to find out some shooting location info on Knightrider,Greatest American Hero,Star Trek ,Andy Griffith Show and other favorites through forums.