Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vintage German Stereo console

Hi, this is Curt. I came across a vintage German console on Craigslist for $50.00. The listing says it is a German console late 50's early 60's. It does not work. The listing had this picture that I will attach. I can't go see it until Tuesday but if anybody could help me with any information regarding it, I would really appreciate it. The seller did not even know the make when I talked to him on the phone and it was in storage. I have heard that the German speakers can be very nice. German 8f1d9f.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited by Curtwheeler; 01-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

looks like a old grundig or telefunkin to me. if its tube-type, witch it probubly is, its full of really nice mullard tubes. but dont gut it if you get it. these are beautiful and should be restored. old german gear isnt very reliable and has alot of problems, but if you can get it running you will not only have a beautiful piece of equipment, but one that sounds damn good too! just remember, if its been in longterm storage dont forget to bring your variac!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Thanks StereoroB I wish I had more information on the German console but the seller didn't even now the make. All I have is the one picture,anyway I'm going to meet him at his storage unit tomorrow.I hope someone doesn't get it before I see it.
I'm new to vintage audio.I got interested remembering how much I liked the sound of my Grandparents Zenith tube record player
A couple months ago I found my 1960 Magnificent Magnavox console.Now I've got the bug, and although the sound is sweet,it probably sounds even better to me because it looks so dang good,although my wife just doesn't see it .Anyway Thanks again, Curt

Last edited by Curtwheeler; 01-30-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: To check
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

grundig majestic

i have 4 consoles they are grundid majestic and i rearranged one in my room yesterday once you hear it you will love it
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

German console?

Hi, this is Curt. I went and looked at the German console today. It looked like a lower end console. I was hoping it would have larger speakers but it has 5 1/2 x 9 inch oval speakers with wizer cones, no crossover to the small tweeter. Cabinet looked in pretty good condition. Turntable looks complete and not tampered with but the transformer on the amplifier is loose and the tuning string is broken. Other than that, complete. I did not want to try to plug it in. The controls and dial are in excellent condition. Tubes are Ell80, EAF801, ECH81, ECC83 and ECC85. I could not find a name on it anywhere. I decided to offer him $40.00 and he took it. Here are some pictures of the console, speakers, amp and turntable. Thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg German 018.jpg (71.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg German 020.jpg (137.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg German 013.jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg German 029.jpg (56.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg German 012.jpg (136.1 KB, 34 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-04-2012, 02:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Curt,

this console looks like that it was sold by the big warehouses in germany like Quelle or Neckermann in the early 60s. It may be that it was made by Körting. It is a bit cheaper made than the big brands like Grundig, Saba or Telefunken, but i think it is not bad. The tweeters are electro static, they are powered by the primary winding of the output transformer via a capacitor. (you see the 3 wire connection to the speakers). If the ELL 80 is bad, you may have a problem, because this tube is expensive and rare, burt you can use instead two EL 95.

Have fun with that Console.

BR

Frank