Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

New Addition

I just purchased a Philco 37-665 tombstone radio on Ebay. You probably know the description: worn case, says it "works" (lights up and just makes noise). I only paid $165 dollars with shipping. It should be here in a week or less. Like my Zenith 7S363, I expect repairs may take months and cost a few bux. But there are few of these left and many "slumber". I expect this to be my last foray into vintage radio and my finest expenditure.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM
M is for Memory

I've gotten better tombstones and cathedrals for less than $80......Granted I prefer in-person purchases at radio club swap meets to ebay.....I end up wasting money if I start randomly searching the bay....Only time I go there is links here, and when I want something specific that is semi-common or unobtanium locally (such as some LPs).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
I just purchased a Philco 37-665 tombstone radio on Ebay. You probably know the description: worn case, says it "works" (lights up and just makes noise). I only paid $165 dollars with shipping. It should be here in a week or less. Like my Zenith 7S363, I expect repairs may take months and cost a few bux. But there are few of these left and many "slumber". I expect this to be my last foray into vintage radio and my finest expenditure.
I looked the schematic on N/A.
Not at all, a common tombstone. Push-pull output with Philco's tricky phase inverter circuit, separate osc and mixer and a tuning meter.
Some folks, don't have the luxury of going to some of the swap meets and have to depend on sources like ebay..
Old 12-15-2015, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

As time's gone by I've found little nits and missing parts to my "new" philco. Somebody went through and made numerous modifications to the circuitry. Most of these were of dubious quality. Replacement parts are now on order pending the completion of a CTC-2B from Mr. Beers. Like all good techs, he has a backlog! It'll take time to receive the parts and do a perfunctory recap and check components. While I wait I still have my Zenith 7S363 Walter redid. As we go forward I'll updates, and hopefully, provide photos.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

The repair of the 665 is going slowly but surely. A recalcitrant bandswitch now selects all four bands and the AM works but has tube issues. The shadowmeter bypass connections were found and we're awaiting a replacement wire harness. This is a hard radio to repair but we're making strides!