Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Would you believe that shortly after getting it playing it started making a loud popping sound in the spkrs.? I looked, and one of the 12AX7's was flashing wildly. I tested it, and, one section had a plate to cathode short, intermittent. Nasty stuff.
Fidelity is excellent, and, I love RIAA scratch filter.
Sorry it took so long, guys.
Bill Cahill
Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
You guys decry the Chinese made junk but the Americans are no slouches when it comes to manufacturing crap. Sometimes I think they only do it to prove they can make it for almost nothing.

In the 50s and 60s you could buy a piece of furniture called a stereo that had the lousiest electronics they could put in. Very unserviceable with sloppy wires connecting various chassis units. Packard Bell, Magnavox, many others. The audio fans avoided those things and opted for separates with plugs and jacks and power transformers and sealed speakers and magnetic cartridges.

Probably the worst were units like Morse Electrophonic and Lloyds and a few other brands that are best forgotten. Mostly Japanese assembled because they worked cheaper than Americans could.

Money rules. It's the bottom line on everything sold.

Now, try to repair that stuff. Even if repair were straightforward, the cost of parts is ridiculous. You can buy another unit for the cost of two or three parts. I have had to toss coffee pots in the trash because the replacement carafe cost more than a new one. Look at the price of a replacement bowl for a Mixmaster.

But the answer is simple. Just blame the repair man for gouging.
you are correct. i would not take those in at my shop for repair. pure junk and some people were still paying on them. steve
Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

The junk thats made is depressing, almost just wanna ay save the resources and build something worth while.....califone FTW, indestructable classroom turntables, people would be better off with one of those....or one of the fisher price players from the 80's...i wish i still had mine! pretty decent units, i was hard on mine and it never gave up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisher price player.jpg (45.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still have one of those Fisher-Price record players with a broken cartridge holder. It has some type of oddball safety screws that hold the case together and I have no idea what kind of tool it takes to open it. If I could get it open, I could probably fix the tonearm.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

They make saftey screw bit sets, all those off ball screw bits in one box...and i think you can still get the needle on the interwebs
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, it takes the single-tipped version of the Astatic 89T plug-in power point cartridge. It has a spring loaded cartridge holder that's supposed to retract if the tonearm is dropped on a record.