Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question A Set I Haven't Seen Discussed

I've been lurking here awhile and I've just joined.

I'm curious about the CBS-Columbia 205 with the 19-inch tube. Does anyone have one or are they so rare as to be non-existent?

I haven't seen any discussion of this set (but I admit, I haven't gone through every thread).
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure about that model, particularly, but the ETF website has lots of info about early color:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/color.html

Phil Nelson
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 04-09-2011, 06:29 PM
console lover

One frequent poster has one, in fact it is the set in his avatar.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a link to a post I made on the CBS 205.

http://www.videokarma.org/archive/in.../t-161881.html

Unfortunately, all the photos have disappeared from the post, though if I attempt to upload the photos to THIS post, the site software will not allow it, as it says I have already uploaded the photos. Can anyone explain this? Seems somehow unfair... . :-). So here are a couple of other photos of the set. The ETF website shows 8 of these sets known.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRONT 2.jpg (96.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FRONT 3.jpg (80.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg OP 7.jpg (61.9 KB, 152 views)
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

A truly amazing TV.

As I recall, the photos disappeared from old posts when they migrated the forum. I wish someone could delete those obsolete links, too, or at least fix the arithmetic so that links to non-existent photos don't count towards your "uploaded" total.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator

As for the Photos, you can delete them and re-upload them, you should be able to find them by going to the post then editing it, select advanced options and them manage attachments.

If you just want to upload them again I think you have to change the file by running it through a Photo Editor and making a minor change, the Site will recognize the same file even if you change the name. (as far as I recall).

It's been a while since I had to deal with the problem but I think the pics are still there, just in a different place.
If so you should be able to copy the location and link them to your post.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
Here is a link to a post I made on the CBS 205.

http://www.videokarma.org/archive/in.../t-161881.html

Unfortunately, all the photos have disappeared from the post, though if I attempt to upload the photos to THIS post, the site software will not allow it, as it says I have already uploaded the photos. Can anyone explain this? Seems somehow unfair... . :-). So here are a couple of other photos of the set. The ETF website shows 8 of these sets known.

Wow,that set sure has nice color!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I've owned two CBS 360 sets; one with the original Colortron 205 19VP22, and the other with a 21" conversion. I also had a Hoffman with the 19VP22. They're rare, but do exist.

Charles
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do the 19VP22 CRTs suffer from the same seal leak problems as the 15GP22s ?
jr
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Experience with the CBS-Columbia 205.

I once worked at a school district where a guy had one of these CBS sets in the CCTV studio we built. This was in the 1960s.

I never did see the 19VP22, because it had long before been replaced with a 21AXP22. The front mask had been roughly cut larger for the 21-inch tube.

The set worked, but the AX had a low-emission blue gun, so they went to a parts supply place in Riverside (CA) and bought a rebuilt 21CYP22. It wasn't long before the neck just fell off the tube. Another replacement did the same. Eventually a new RCA tube was installed which didn't have the same problem.

It was impossible to converge the set. I always thought it was because of the change of tube sizes, but otherwise the set made decent pictures. A look under the chassis revealed places where parts had previously burned up, like several chassis-mounted wire-wound power resistors that had shorted out and been replaced by some non-chassis-mounted types.

The video leads in the two inter-chassis cables were always having to be repaired as they seemed to come undone very easily. Turning on the set always made a visible surge in the room lights.

Unlike the cabinet in your photos, this set, although mahogany, was finished in an odd greenish color, and the fiber panel behind the front controls as well as the tube mask were sort of pale green as I recall, not brown as in your photos.

I don't know what happened to the set after I left that job. It certainly was a monster.
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Do the 19VP22 CRTs suffer from the same seal leak problems as the 15GP22s ?
jr
Not that I know of... The seal is done differently. Of the two TVs, and one spare tube I had, all were with good vacuum.

Charles
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I concur with Charles. I have seen 3 of the 19VP22 CRTs, and all had good vacuum. While the 19VP22 has the same type ultor welded flange that the 15GP22 does, it seems that they were not as prone to leaks as the 15GP22. Maybe Hytron had a better manufacturing process.

Urban legend says that there were premature failure issues with the 19VP22, supposedly due to internal arcing. I have not seen this rumor substantiated in print. But for whatever reason, the 19VP22 was produced for only a short time, and only used in the 1954-55 model sets.

If anyone has any additional information on the 19VP22, please share it with us.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
But for whatever reason, the 19VP22 was produced for only a short time, and only used in the 1954-55 model sets.
It had a dreadful, washed-out picture with rotten purity and convergence ... The 15GP22 put it to shame; despite the smaller screen. Motorola put out a recall on all the 19VP22 sets for a factory-designed upgrade to a 21AXP22. Hence it's nearly impossible to find a Motorola with the 19 still in it. There were quite a few sets which left the drawing board with a 19VP22, but wound up in the stores with a 21AX. The GE PortaColor 11SP22 is about the only tube I know of, half as abysmal as the 19VP22 for performance...

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 04-20-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 19VP22 in my set has a beautiful picture, see photos above. It is brighter than that photo might imply, that is just an artifact of my camera and limited photographic skills. The convergence is marginal, but I think this is more a limitation of the convergence circuitry and design, rather that the CRT. IMHO. I have seen CBS change notes on how to convert the set for use with a 21AXP22, so obviously there were issues with the 19VP22.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think once RCA had a 21-inch tube, it was all over for the 19VP22. RCA had been promising a 19-inch tube, which would use the same cumbersome construction methods as the 15GP22.

But when Norman Fyler and William Rowe of CBS-Hytron showed their greatly simplified Colortron, RCA had to bite the bullet and pay royalties to CBS.

So I think RCA decided to go straight to a 21-inch tube to keep other manufacturers from adopting the 19VP22. This is why, in my thinking, the CT-100 was quickly modified to take the 21-inch tube (the 21-CT-55) as an interim measure, just to get their tube out there, allowing more time to develop the simplified models with the CTC-4 chassis.
Audiokarma