Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Technohippie

25V types--RCA vs. Sylvania.

I have a choice of 2 NOS 25VABP22s for my Heathkit GR-900 project. RCA or Sylvania. Any input as to which was a superior tube as far as life, phosphor quality, etc. The set originally came equipped with an RCA CRT, but a Sylvania HV rectifier tube!

Either of them less likely to cataract in the future? Neither show any at this point.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:56 PM
M is for Memory

Unless you find one without a safety glass, it WILL get a cataract....Simply a matter of time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-03-2016, 10:06 AM
sampson159

i would prefer the sylvania crt myself.they made a really pretty picture.the 25vabp22 was used in the hybrid chassis sets and seemed to have a long life.some solid state also used this crt.the rca crt is also a fine piece but my choice would be sylvania
Old 07-03-2016, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

The RCA would probably last longer...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:13 AM
sampson159

rca might last longer but those sylvania crts have a long life too.not to be confused with the dark matrix crt which didnt have a long life at all.i have a sylvania 25vabp22 in a magnavox set that still ha s a great picture after44 years.it was rare to see one of those that didnt.either or but my choice would be sylvania

Last edited by sampson159; 07-05-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, since we're asking opinions... how about an opinion on the RCA, Sylvania AND a Zenith/Rauland tube? I have all three in my repertoire and want to install one in my neighbor's set, but he is afraid they won't be as good as his original Zenith/Rauland jug (which has yet to see a brightener or a bump from my rejuvenater) which is dying a slow, very, very slow death.... I also have an NOS Channel Master 25V which, to me, didn't have as nice a picture as the others.... Gentlemen....???
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
The RCA would probably last longer...
I've seen all three, Zenith-Rauland, Sylvania and RCA, fail prematurely and some last for at least a decade. Those are the 25V delta guns CRT's.
Someone else mentioned Channel Master. They were only a little better than Admiral or National Video.
No one mentioned GE! Some of their CRT's seemed to last.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Technohippie

Decided to go with the Sylvania tube. I always liked their phosphors a bit better than the RCA.

I never had much good to say about the Channel Master rebuilts. The shop I worked in offered them as a budget alternative, one step better than a used tube or used set.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 AM
sampson159

we used channel master crts in our shop.there were low.mid and upper level.the low levels were terrible.others were ok.zenith crts are absolutely the best for picture quality and life.rca and sylvanias right behind but i prefer the sylvania look.cant go wrong with any of these
Old 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcophan View Post
Well, since we're asking opinions... how about an opinion on the RCA, Sylvania AND a Zenith/Rauland tube? I have all three in my repertoire and want to install one in my neighbor's set, but he is afraid they won't be as good as his original Zenith/Rauland jug (which has yet to see a brightener or a bump from my rejuvenater) which is dying a slow, very, very slow death.... I also have an NOS Channel Master 25V which, to me, didn't have as nice a picture as the others.... Gentlemen....???
What is wrong with the CRT in it? I'm inclined to run a CRT till is is weak and looks bad even on a brightener (though tracking can go before that).

I personally favor Zenith CC CRTs wherever they can be used.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I also advocate running a jug till it drops, and then a brightener or a bump... I have used two brighteners with great results, but that is a little overkill. My neighbor's set starts out dark and on the red side but comes up beautifully within three minutes. Since I have the jugs, he could have one at no cost, but he is leery.... BTW +1 on the Channel Master comments... I only ever bought their first line which was supposed to be all new and not rebuilt... but still liked the Zenith/Rauland, RCA HiLite/Black Matrix and Sylvania jugs (in that order) best of all, even though the CM produced a fine picture.

Jim
Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 PM
sampson159

channel master had several variations.the top of the line,new crts were very good right up there with the one listed.i am in total agreement with your rankings.the rca black matrix is a fine crt but very scarce in these parts.sylvanias were plenty here.zenith crts are the best,long.long life and excellent resolution.