Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
The only thing that I wonder now is, what kind of cataract am I dealing with here, someone said that the CRT was a RCA type, but CRT so far has no markings or labels on it, so I'm not sure who made it.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
It's an RCA style with that hard white moldy halo cataract other brands (like a NOS channel Master CRT I've got) had RCA style cataracts too.
Zenith types cataracts (also found in other brands like Sylvania) develop a gummy green halo.

RCA and Zenith evenly split about %85 of the TV market in the 50s-70's so people tend to name the 2 cataract types after the 2 brands each is most often found in.

The gummy ones can be cut with guitar string (my favorite method). All will be affected by heat (which can be dangerous) and some Will come off with water.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It's an RCA style with that hard white moldy halo cataract other brands (like a NOS channel Master CRT I've got) had RCA style cataracts too.
Zenith types cataracts (also found in other brands like Sylvania) develop a gummy green halo.

RCA and Zenith evenly split about %85 of the TV market in the 50s-70's so people tend to name the 2 cataract types after the 2 brands each is most often found in.

The gummy ones can be cut with guitar string (my favorite method). All will be affected by heat (which can be dangerous) and some Will come off with water.
I'm still wondering what to do with this one,
as mentioned, it should be much brighter given how it tested on my tester, it almost but not quite as good testing as the one in my 16xl and it is VERY bright with bias at lowest setting and screens hardly turned up, so SOMETHING is not right here...
strangely this set has no CRT bias setting, and another odd thing I have seen that when shut off, there is a bright flash of raster seen on the screen as it powers down, IE screen is dark when on, shut off it gets brighter for a second as just as the sweep collapses, telling me there is most likely a bunch of electronic stuff to fix.

I wonder if I should try soaking this cataract, or would that even work on it?

but first things first, ( Hana Yori Dango ) , i need to finish the SC tv before I really start this one!