Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Musical Films (aka "videos") on TV in 1948

See http://www.earlytelevision.org/ksd-tv.html

Looking at this TV show schedule there are several 10 minute segments called "Musical Films". Which may be similar to modern day MTV videos. Most likely these are just films showing an orchestra playing their instruments doing a classical piece. I do remember seeing a cartoon (not in 1948, wasn't born yet) of dancing geometric shapes set to jazz music that was probably made around WW2.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Perhaps they were "Soundies" like these on the Prelinger Archive?

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...on%3Aprelinger
Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

AMC cable channel used to show these music "video" films of big-band acts, they called them "Swingin' Soundies"...they were interstitials between movies. This was before AMC turned into a commercial network...luckily there are now Fox Movie channel and Turner Classic movies for commercial-free old movies.

It seems like there was also some kind of jukebox that played short musical films...can't remember too much about it though.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw a set that would play music and film of an orchestra when you put money into it. I think it may have been made by Wurlitzer but I don't recall. The one I saw was at the EMP in Seattle.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Huh?

Try scopitones.com

Linky

Go to the archives and watch Nancy Sinatra. Yow.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Soundies was a trademark name for 16mm music shorts shown on a coin-operated jukebox-like device called a Panoram that was placed in bars, diners, et al. It was made by Mills in Chicago, they of the slot-machine fame. Most of the soundies were produced by RCM productions, a venture of James Roosevelt (son of FDR), Sam Coslow (songwriter), and Herb Mills (slot king). Others also produced soundies like Snader Productions. Roosevelt started the company in 1940, but the machine was not ready until 1941. Popularity peaked during the war because the reels usually included some burlesque acts, and fell of after the war. A dispute with the projectionists union sealed their fate.

Many of them are available on DVD and are quite a tour through the lesser known artists of the day in some truely historic performances. No other place to see Meade Lux Lewis