Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2016, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco 50-T702 7 Inch TV

Hello all,

I also hang out on the antiqueradios forum but thought I'd post a thread here and let you guys jump in too! I very recently acquired a really nice 1950 Philco 50-T702 7 inch TV in the wood cabinet. This set uses the 7JP4 CRT with electrostatic deflection. When I bought it the TV had been recapped but the individual who had done the work made several errors which resulted in a nice bright raster, but no signal going through the set. After fixing all the goofs it's playing quite nicely now all in all, with one exception: vertical linearity is not good.

To the point: the upper 1/4 of the screen is rather compressed and the image becomes increasingly elongated as you progress down to the bottom of the screen. I did replace the ceramic capacitors to the deflection plates with mylars which generally should help linearity, but it's still off. I'm thinking next step is to go thru and check / replace all of the resistors in the vertical sweep, but meantime does anyone else have any thoughts on where to proceed with this?

I know with these electrostatic sets linearity is frequently problematic, but i'm fussy and like to get stuff as good as they can "be got"!!

Thanks,
-George-