Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

And, here are some of my toyz.
First one, my Edison William And, Mary diamond disc phonograph.

Next, my Phonola High Fidelity record player.

Next, my soon to be restored RCA Victor one tube wonder.

My Magnavox High Fidelity record player.

My 1950 RCA Victor Dammaged New 45 player deck.

My Symphonic Stereo phonograph.

My favorite Newcomb. My 1947 TR-16 2 spd. transcription player.

My Marconi children's record player.

My Symphonic clock Phonograph..

And, for now, last, but, not least, an earlier picture of my Grantline 78 player from 1946, and, my Webster Chicago 3 spd. fonograf, 1950.

Bill Cahill
Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the nice comments and you guys have some nice things, as well. Someday, I'd like to find one of those Philco BOL players as well as some older springwound models. Anyway, here's a few more that I dug out.

Late '40's Westinghouse AM radio/78 rpm record changer. This is an unusual unit, in that the radio section can be seperated from the phonograph and used without the bulky phonograph section. I have no idea who made the record changer.

Next, is a Howard AM radio/78 rpm record changer from around '47. The changer was made by Webster-Chicago and this one actually works.

Early '40's Philco AM radio/manual 78 rpm record player.

Mid '50's Califone tube type classroom record player

Early '60's Telefunken (German) stereo console with AM/FM/SW/4 speed changer.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some portable thing, late 60s to early 70s maybe?

http://i25.tinypic.com/122jb85.jpg

Anyone want it? Trying to clear out my shed..
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

On the Westinghouse combination. I have the console version of that beat up.
I think it's a Detrola changer.

On free 60's port. If you want to mail it, I'll take it.
can use it as a test machine.
Bill Cahill
Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for idler

Hi! I noticed on radiotvnut's 7-16-10 post an RCA R-JY 45 player. I just picked up one of these and of course it needs a replacement drive idler. Has anyone got a source for new ones or am I out of luck. Or... has anyone here made new idlers from scratch? Thanks for any help you can give.
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
VK Member

The record changer in your Westinghouse was made by General Instruments. Sorry for the late reply, but I just joined the forum.

Dennis
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
slave to 3 equines

Here's my Italian made RCA "stereo orthophonic high fidelity" 5 tube phonograph from about 1961.

I may also post some pics of two Italian made Emerson tube phonographs and several other European and Italian phonographs (Lesa, Telefunken...) if someone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA1.jpg (114.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg monarch1.jpg (96.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Kiwick; 08-31-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

I'd be interested.....
Bill Cahill
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 AM
slave to 3 equines

Single play Emerson from the early 60s, made in Emerson's italian plant in Florence, this phonograph has a really bizarre and clever push-pull amp where the phase splitter is actually the volume pot

mid 60s Lesa "Studium ST1", a really well made, durable phonograph

Kosmophon slot loading 45 player, this particular model remained in production from 1967-68 to 1983-84, units made after the mid 70s had silicon transistors in place of the germanium ones of older units.

More to come...

Last edited by Kiwick; 09-04-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pay for shipping and its yours... I'll find how much it is. PM me your address
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice machines, Bill! I think I remember you posting about that Phonola being a real high fidelity player, instead of the "one tube wonder" that one might think at first glance, on ARF. One day, I hope to find one of those early Newcomb transcription players, as well as one of the maroon cased Newcomb R12 models. I thought I had a line on a maroon R12; but, the owner must have fallen off the face of the Earth. Oh well, there will be another one, I'm sure. And, my former sunday school teacher has one of those Edison diamond disc players in beautiful condition. Every time I see him, I jokingly ask him if he's about ready to give it to me.

I would like to find a picture of one of those old '30's springwound AFB talking book players so that I could see what the correct tonearm looks like. I can't believe someone took off the original and replaced it with some '50's kiddie player tonearm. I'm sure the cartridge was a high output crystal type fitted with a 1 mil. stylus and the headphones were driven directly from the cartridge output.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
VK Member

With as many records as I have, you'd think I have some good turntables... but no, I really don't. Only a couple of them work properly, and most of the vinyl and shellac I spin get's played on my cheap little Crosley where most 45's sound trebly and horrible.

Here's my '42 Admiral with it's Slide-A-Away 78 changer. Needs a new rubber for the idler wheel.

This is my RCA 45HY4 which will sound great once I recap it and get a couple tubes. It got destroyed in the mail... shattered the bakelite into dozens of peices and broke the tip off one of the 35C5's. It's a wonder I got it back together, at all...

Here's what it looked like when I unpacked it: ( WARNING: Viewer descretion is advised. )

Here's what it looks like today. I haven't gotten around to doing the bodywork and hiding those seams, but it's come a long way since it got here:

And this is some kind of RCA add-on that my aunt had for one of her old stereo's. It seems to work fine, but I'll need a new needle.

Last edited by RitchieMars; 07-19-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieMars View Post
And this is some kind of RCA add-on that my aunt had for one of her old stereo's. It seems to work fine, but I'll need a new needle.

If that is an RCA-built changer it has to be one of the last ones.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
VK Member

On the bottom label, it say's it a model RK368A, RCA "Modular Series."
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's another talking book player for the blind. The label inside the lid was printed in October, 1955 and it's a model "C" built by Dewald and plays 33 1/3 rpm only. I do have a question concerning the cartridge. The original cartridge is missing and the label indicates that it takes and electrovoice power point cartridge with dual sapphire needles; but, it does not give a type number. It says that in order to use the other needle, the cartridge is to be pulled from it's holder and re-installed with the other needle in the play position. I tried mounting a regular Astatic 89T holder; but, the mounts are spaced further apart on this tonearm. Does anyone have any idea what cartridge went in this player? I need the holder as well as the cartridge part numbers.

Audiokarma