Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I like how you were able to fit the monitor into that cabinet -- looks like a factory job. ...

BTW, what happened to the CTC19 chassis -- flyback or CRT failure, lightning damage, etc.?
Thanks

It was so long ago that I don't remember. My brother used the empty cabinet to store some books and such for about 25 years... Recently I took it back.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

There is but a single flat panel TV in my house, and it's a little 15-incher mounted on the wall above my bed. Only used for video games and over-the-air (sadly, ATSC) broadcasts. (In fact, the only reason I have this set is because I bought it in like-new condition with the original remote control at a thrift store for $25! I'd never had a flat panel before and wanted to test the waters, so to speak.)

Every other set in daily use (and there are a lot of them!) are CRT sets. The smallest being 11 inches, and the largest 40 inches. I greatly prefer the picture of a CRT set to an LCD. (Plasma is somewhere in between.) To me, the only real downside to the CRT sets is their size and weight. I practically need a forklift to move the 40-inch Sony! (it's currently preventing me from rearranging my bedroom!)

Last edited by YamahaFreak; 11-30-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM
i <3 my Denon

I actually meant more along the lines of I personally hate to get rid of it. I've been watching that tv since it was new. I've got a cousin who has a 19" set, ill likely pass it along to him (as well as free repairs, although I think I fixed whatever could blow up...flyback is original, but how often do they blow up. (But when they do...lovely green flashes and sparks)

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I think its hilarious....

I am in a debate on another site with someone about how much better CRTs look and i provided a link to this thread and the person said this

"This thread is 5 years old and proves nothing, just people unwilling to accept advancements in technology."

Apparently he didnt come to the end of the thread!

And i said this to him "Wrong...People UNWILLING TO ACCEPT GARBAGE WHEN WHAT THEY HAD BEFORE WAS BETTER!!"

I speak QUITE LOUDLY sometimes!!

Long live CRT
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think its hilarious....

\

And i said this to him "Wrong...People UNWILLING TO ACCEPT GARBAGE WHEN WHAT THEY HAD BEFORE WAS BETTER!!"

I speak QUITE LOUDLY sometimes!!

Long live CRT
Define better: smaller? lower resolution?. heavier?, smaller color gamut?, lasts longer? well, maybe, but there were millions of sets made in the tube era, where are they? in the landfill of course because the majority of them died a long time ago.

The sets we have are the exception, not the rule.

It's like making the argument that 8mm movies are better that 35mm, there is no science to back that claim up.
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Computers are all LCD but TV's are still CRT: Sony 34XBR960 and an RCA 19" B&W I bought when papa oscared at my parents (while in college) over sharing the Silvertone roundie color.

All this talk about Zenith... reminds me of the motto, "The parts go in before the name goes on."
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

What I heard about Philco was "The quality falls out before the name goes on"

Seriously, my LCD computer monitor just died after being on 10+ hours per day over the last 8 years. I cannot gripe about that, what tube tv would do any better? I think the quality of the LCD displays is at least equal to solid state CRT based TVs and much better than any vacuum tube based televisions. I say this, but I do have many vacuum tube based CRT televisions-I enjoy bringing them back to life.

Now the reliability of over the air DTV vs analog NTSC -that is a different story. (of course with the cellphone companies continuing to try to get all the spectrum even DTV may not last long).
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

The only TV I use right now is the one in my sig and avatar.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
complete novice

Well my late 90s rca bit the dust. I figured one of the guns went since the screen went purple and cant be adjusted. So ive a 2003 panasonic 32" im watching now.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64
The only TV I use right now is the one in my sig and avatar.
Boy thats a beautiful set,i hope she stays with ya for years to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H
The sets we have are the exception, not the rule.
Yes but they used to be THE RULE.. Everything about them Erik is better!! (The quality of picture,the sound produced,the accuracy of colours,etc)
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have four CRT TV's. One is a 13" Radio Shack set, another is a 20" RCA.

The other two are Proton sets, a 619, and a NT2120 in my HT system.

Not crazy about HDTV. As long as I can watch my LD's on the NT2120, I'm happy.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Everything about them Erik is better!! (The quality of picture,the sound produced,the accuracy of colours,etc)
Again I ask, show me the science that backs up this claim.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a B&W until about 1984 because I was waiting for colour tv to be perfected. I got tired of waiting so I bought a Sony digital XBR 25" for a huge amount of money then, about a month later, a better and cheaper one became available. Twice, I spent $$$$ to fix that TV and, after the 3rd crash and burn I trashed it and replaced it with a 36" Proscan I bought for $150 which worked flawlessly for 5 years until it spectacularly died because of flyback failure. Now, I am watching a 19" Sony trinitron while I contemplate spending $40 on a new flyback for the Proscan or trashing it and buying a new Panasonic Viera 50ST60 Plasma when it becomes available. Plasmas are also also vacuum tubes so, if I get one, I will just be upgrading to newer tube technology, not abandoning it.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Use two sony 32 inch crts. One is a xbr and the other a v series. Much better picture than most hdtvs. One is a 1995 and a 1999. Got both on craigslist. One for free and the other almost for free. I was told the xbr cost 2500 and the v 1500. Amazing what people will through in the trash now.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Indeed!!!!!!!! -- Picture is superb!!

Yes its sad people do not value GOOD THINGS anymore...... Congrats on your FREE purchase!!
Audiokarma