Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Administrator

The TV's on Emergency

I've been watching the show Emergency on DVD and there are often TV's shown in the scene.

The one in Station 51 changes over the course of the show but in 1976 it was a metal cased Zenith color with the controls along the bottom, probably early 70's, in Rampart there's an Avanti but it's brown instead of the usual white.

In the latest episode, circa 1976, there's a Zenith? in the background with a Pong game running.

I remember when Pong came out and what a big deal it was then, games have advanced a little since then.
There was a set (Magnavox?) that had Pong built in, it was obsolete almost as soon as it hit the stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pong.jpg (38.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Also...in Rampart hospital...there is a Quasar console--likely a TS-938 or so.

In the episode "Teevee", where They try and fix their tv set....it shows a GE M6 chassis BW set--OPENED . They are NOT successful in their repair !!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Also...in Rampart hospital...there is a Quasar console--likely a TS-938 or so.

In the episode "Teevee", where They try and fix their tv set....it shows a GE M6 chassis BW set--OPENED . They are NOT successful in their repair !!
HaHa based on my experience, the 59-62 21-23" skinny-thin GEs had awful CRT's and likely they thought there was no picture. If only they tried it in a dark room...
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
There was a set (Magnavox?) that had Pong built in, it was obsolete almost as soon as it hit the stores.
It was a Magnavox! I remember seeing one in the late 80's, it was pretty old at that point. It has some weird proprietary connectors the paddles would plug into in the back...but they were long missing when I saw the set.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Administrator

I noticed at Rampart there are some odd looking sets mounted in the patient rooms, they look like color and were probably some weird Hospital sets.
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2016, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Gee I thought I was the only TV spotter out there. Used to
be good at it.
Above TV looks like a 19" B&W Hitachi BUT not quite enuf
for a positive ID.
And yes Maggie did have built in pong, saw it on a few
19" colors. T991 or earlier chassis.

73 Zeno
Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

re: Emergency TV's

There was an episode when they were dispatched to a house that an over-excited football fan kicked in, or threw a ball through the screen.

I can 't remember if they were called to treat him for lacerations from the glass or because of Electric Shock.

It was a console set of some sort.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I noticed at Rampart there are some odd looking sets mounted in the patient rooms, they look like color and were probably some weird Hospital sets.
They were B/W with a color picture superimposed. They looked like early to mid-60's RCA's.
I used to watch it, when it first came on. Kind of corny, but then it was a Jack Webb production. He always had strange acting people written into the script.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was one episode where a TV set was not merely in a scene, but was actually a subplot in the episode as a whole.

In between all those defibrillations, ringer's lactate shots, and dishing out inspiration in the recovery room, the firehouse is in the market for a new TV set, and talk to someone who has a lead on a really good deal on a "26".

In the last scene, all the firemen and paramedics get together to see the new TV. The new set is quite small (I think a GE Portacolor). One of the firemen says "I thought it was a 26", Gage answers "it is.....26 centimeter".

Last edited by Robert Grant; 01-18-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
There was one episode where a TV set was not merely in a scene, but was actually a subplot in the episode as a whole.

In between all those defibrillations, ringer's lactate shots, and dishing out inspiration in the recovery room, the firehouse is in the market for a new TV set, and talk to someone who has a lead on a really good deal on a "26".

In the last scene, all the firemen and paramedics get together to see the new TV. The new set is quite small (I think a GE Portacolor). One of the firemen says "I thought it was a 26", Gage answers "it is.....26 centimeter".
This made me think it might be a Canadian show, but nope. I don't know if any TVs were marketed as 26" in the US. I think the US government viewable screen size mandate kicked in around the time the 25V sets came out. I'm not sure if that rule ever took effect here.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
This made me think it might be a Canadian show, but nope. I don't know if any TVs were marketed as 26" in the US. I think the US government viewable screen size mandate kicked in around the time the 25V sets came out. I'm not sure if that rule ever took effect here.
TV shows back then never got the details right, they probably just threw out 26" because it sounded huge, and also to clue the viewer in that their "good deal" was going to be a scam.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to MeTV I guess we've watched every episode more than once, and I always have an eye on those sets! I've noticed that the console in the Rampart break room changed a bit, as did the station TV.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 PM
60s Throwback

I just finished watching episode 3, season 1 of "Two Broke Girls". Max and Caroline go to the Goodwill, and when they walk in, to the left of the door is a Zenith Avanti. It looks like an early one, as it has the two knobs for the tuners. Check it out!!

Frank