Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yup.....has LOTS of small ones, couple BIG ones. I'll be able to start with the little board I know is dead though. It's probly gonna need some silicon as well. Like I said up there, I can get sound by injecting audio to one side of the volume pot....and I can get a rudimentary picture by connecting just a video signal to the "green" shielded cable that was coming off the little IF board. It's not a great picture of course since I'm just connecting a straight video out from a little DVD player....bypassing AGC and this ISN'T the signal that line wants to see.

The vertical has gotten narrower though since I started messing with it....so I think I need to just leave it be for now and stop running it till I'm actually FIXING it. I did just open the VHF tuner cage and just give it a good spray of de-oxit. For some reason that stopped the "channel 12 grounding something out" problem. Either I fixed whatever that short was.....or I rendered the tuner completely useless, who knows. I did make it a point to NOT touch all the little windings on the "barrel". I have bad luck with tuners....and have NEVER fixed one before if it's beyond just a cleaning.

I'm hoping that since BOTH tuners don't get anything, the problem is in the IF board right next to the VHF tuner. That was where I saw and felt the "getting hot" on channel 12. The picture would also wig out like I was shorting something when I saw that. Turn it OFF channel 12 and everything would go back to "plain white raster" and that board would stop being hot. Likely this is what killed the set in the first place.

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.