Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:18 AM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith J420T

Awhile back I posted several messages here (and on Phil Nelson's antique radio site, before he disabled the classified ad section) referring to my Zenith H511Y ConsolTone receiver. Since then I've been wondering about the AM/SW version of this set, but until very recently hadn't seen anything about it. I found a schematic (Sams Photofact) for that set on ebay today. The radio's model number is J420T (1952 vintage). It looks almost exactly like the H511 series except for the addition of the shortwave band (the SW dial scale is just under the dial pointer) and the fact that the J420T is a four-tube battery set. Not a farm battery receiver (it used an AB battery pack, 1.5 volts for filaments and 90 volts for B+), but I bet these sets were used quite a bit in rural areas without electricity in the '50s, same as "real" farm battery sets. The '420T has four tubes (three one-volt signal-stage bottles and a 3V4 audio output), since, being a battery set, there is of course no need for a rectifier tube, and there likely was no pilot light behind the Zenith crest emblem on the cabinet (as there is on the H511 series).

I wonder just how popular the J420T actually was. While I see H511s galore on ebay (Zenith must have made tons of these sets in the early-to-mid-'50s), this schematic is the closest I've ever come to seeing a '420T there. Haven't yet seen an actual J420T, either on ebay or anywhere else. Was the '420T anywhere near as popular as its BC-only counterpart?

BTW, where was the band switch on the J420T? All I can see on the pic of the set are the usual tuning and volume controls. My best guess would have to be that the band switch is on the rear apron of the set.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.