Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:41 PM
tube gear fanatic

collins hf 2050 receiver

well here goes my first post on the new site and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to play with one of these radios.i've searched the internet and found lots of specs etc but not really too much on how the radio performs.if all goes well i will be coming into one within the next month.i hear the audio quality is great and they have issues with overheating but thats about it .so if anyone has any input that would be nice.

i've always wanted a collins but more along the lines of a r390a but when this radio came up i couldnt resist.for those that dont know the radio here is a picture of what one looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collins hf 2050 [].jpg (144.9 KB, 37 views)

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM
tube gear fanatic

well the time has come ,im just waiting for the seller to box it up and get back to me with the shipping charges.if all goes well i should be spinning the dial and flipping switches wthin 2 weeks.it may not be a r390a that ive lusted after for as long as i can remember but its a collins none the less.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...I'd bet that Bad Boi cost a million gazillion bux when it was new...And prolly belonged to some gummint agency that is identified by initials...CIA, NSA, NASA....Good score !
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM
tube gear fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wow...I'd bet that Bad Boi cost a million gazillion bux when it was new...And prolly belonged to some gummint agency that is identified by initials...CIA, NSA, NASA....Good score !
hi sandy, i was told it cost only 6k which is pretty cheap for a GVT' radio lol. these were built by rockwell collins up here in the great white north and many of the were used by the canadian military etc..i've already sourced the hard and impossible to find service/owners manual which a fellow aker has been kind enough to get for me and will be all set for when the radio arrives.the hf 2050 is one of the first radios to implement dsp .i've also heard great things about the audio on these receivers and it will be interesting to do a side by side comparison with my drake r8.