Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:38 PM
On Land

Is this too much money?

Today as I was driving home from my cabin, I decided to stop in a little antique store that I always pass. Usually, I either dont have enough time to stop, or, the shop is closed when I go by.

A Philco 37-60 cathedral caught my eye instantly. The price was 175.00 which looked like a markdown because another price was marked out... and so well that I couldn't tell what it was. The card that was with the radio said the caps and lytics were replaced and tubes checked. Card also said radio plays very well on both AM and SW. The cabinet was in good condition. It wasn't like new, but i didn't see any damage to it. I would say it looked nice enough to display. It seemed that the weakest part of the set was the speaker cloth.

Being that I was in the store for a WHOLE 30 MINUTES and no shop owner ever came in, I wasn't able to ask any questions. Mainly I wanted to hear the radio play, but didn't want to plug it in with the shop owner there. Hell, I could have walked out with it!

I found a photo of one here... http://www.electronixandmore.com/rad...hilco37-60.jpg

You guys think 175 is too high for this? It's not like new, but, it's in pretty decent shape and apparently has new caps. Of course, I won't buy it without hearing it first... if I find a salesperson next time I go in!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:24 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

My most current price info is the "Collector's Guide to Antique Radios", Fourth Edition, copywrite 1997. This is well before the "eBay phenomenon" which has led to an increase in prices for a lot of collectables. So, don't pay too much attention to it.

It lists the Philco 37-60 (1937, btw) as ranging between $100-$145. That may still be a fair price for one in good, ORIGINAL, working condition. If it's been stripped and refinished, that's never a good thing.

Here's one that sold on eBay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Here's one that's currently listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Good luck!
Clay
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
On Land

I had seen those two auctions earlier. One not meeting the reserve and the other with a BIN price of 200.

I had wondered what price guides had to say... although I know you have to take that info with a grain of salt. Thanks for posting it.

One of the reasons I thought about getting it is because I wouldn't be paying shipping charges and taking the chance of it getting smashed along it's journey.

The finish on it looked original, and was presentable.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'd be tempted awful bad if the old gal still plays halfway decently. It is, after all, nearly 70 years old. I've seen what I'd personally consider prettier cathedrals, but...... a bird in the hand, & all that. -Sandy G.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Inspect the front closely....those old photo finish front panels are impossible to refinish. It would have to be perfect for me to spend the long buck on that one. I've had over 100 Philcos.....I know those pretty darn well
Old 11-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Lets be bad guys.

Hey I saw a tube radio at vidor flee market for $50 it has a plastic front I didn't check it out just clanced at it but if your looking to for something $50 sounds better then $175
Old 11-24-2004, 03:17 PM
On Land

I've decided to wait a little while. I return to the ship on Saturday, and don't really have time to drive back to where it is. If it's still there when I return home again in January, I'll check out again. If it plays well, I'll get it.

Usually, it seems that radios hang out for quite some time in antique shops. I'm not too worried about it being bought too soon. And even if it is, perhaps they will have another for me to look at.

Thanks for yall's thoughts on it.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

I know a guy who does that kind of stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Inspect the front closely....those old photo finish front panels are impossible to refinish. It would have to be perfect for me to spend the long buck on that one. I've had over 100 Philcos.....I know those pretty darn well
His name is Stewart Schooley and he has a technique for using photocopied grains and staining them to resemble various veneers. He has been in a newsgroup I visit from time to time, and if I can find his email or website I will pass it along.

Steven

I think you can try genus@ncweb.com or see these links:

http://www.sparkbench.com/stewart.htm

http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photoFinish.html

http://www.chataboutcars.com/DIY_Fau...91-1180-a.html

You will note one of the first examples on the cthome.net page WAS A PHILCO in horrid shape!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by asynchronousman; 11-25-2004 at 07:26 AM.