Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dean and Frank Christmas

A new copy of a 1967 Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra Christmas special is floating around PBS as part of their usual fundraisers. Check your local listings. Some earlier songs are added so it is not a pure Christmas show. It is a restoration from DC Video. Dave Crosswaite has done a spectacular job and the estates are to be thanked for this. It's a Burbank TK-41 tape special with the cameras tuned up to the best. Black tuxedos are black. White shirts are white. The blue cyclorama with star sprinkles is pure blue. All color after that follows. No idea of the post processing that may have been done. No need to interpret Technicolor. Just go view the format roundies were made for. It's easy to see each camera in 4x3 with their corner and left side errors. Your roundie will fix that problem. It is my new roundie show. Lot's better than any DVD floating around. I have to try to edit it down to the show itself. 90 minutes on the PBS fundraising air. A few stills from the 1080i MPEG4 recording below. They are a bit flat compared to air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2021-11-27-19h38m46s795.jpg (66.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2021-11-27-19h35m39s207.jpg (104.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2021-11-27-19h36m26s989.jpg (100.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 11-27-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aired in our Orlando area yesterday. Additional airings will probably occur soon. I did not see one hint of head-to-head banding in that show, even on very saturated colors. This is an amazing original recording by NBC Burbank, together with an excellent recovery by DC Video. TK-41s look as good as I have ever seen them. When you watch this show, it is easy to see why NBC stood by the TK-41 as long as they did. Recommended viewing.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:12 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I have this set to record on the DVR on Tuesday, but wish I had a way to transfer it to DVD. PBS is apparently not offering it as a donation premium either.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:01 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I have this set to record on the DVR on Tuesday, but wish I had a way to transfer it to DVD. PBS is apparently not offering it as a donation premium either.
They made (and might still make) VCR/DVD recorders if you can find one (I do have a spare I could be persuaded to part with). Recordable DVDs aren't necessarily as long lived as commercial pressed DVDs though.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-28-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
They made (and might still make) VCR/DVD recorders if you can find one (I do have a spare I could be persuaded to part with). Recordable DVDs aren't necessarily as long lived as commercial pressed DVDs though.
I have two DVD recorders that are defunct for recording, for, I believe, the common reason that the recording laser diode has burned out (the unit reports that the media is bad, but it's not). A few years ago I looked at getting another, but I feel a used one is not worth the prices being asked since it will probably suffer the same failure sooner rather than later.

At one time I had an analog video capture card in my desktop, but haven't since I built the "new" one in 2012. Perhaps if and when I build a new one I will look into video capture again. Of course, these days and going into the future, there will be problems of can you rig up an analog capture, or do you have to use HDMI and figure out how to dance around copy management.

It's all too much hassle right now for the few things I would want permanent copies of.

A further thought is that I probably would record to flash drive these days instead of DVD.
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2021, 10:12 PM
M is for Memory

I do most of my capture with an "HDML cloner box" I bought off Amazon. It's like a digital VCR (it timer records, but lacks a tuner/tuner control provisions). It records HDMI,VGA, Component, composite video to USB thumb drives. It's finicky about what USB media it will record to and what it will record well to, but now that I think I have figured out what it likes best I shouldn't have any problems going forward.
I get around copy guard with a HDMI splitter designed to feed 2 TVs from one signal source...The HDML box won't record anything with HDCP unless the splitter is connected between it and the source device.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-30-2021, 08:10 PM

I just watched this, and I rate it tops in all ways:

Performances and production - 5 stars
Sets were elaborate or simple as appropriate for each number.
Dean and Frank's medley of hits - outstanding.
Real camera work with dolly and crane shots, not just lazy zooms from wherever the camera happens to be.

Original technical quality - 5 stars
The Burbank crew had really tamed those TK-41's. There is a very slight edge ringing (a VTR characteristic) on full black to white and white to black edges. Camera shading is perfect other than some normal corner vignetting. Some slight H scan ringing is visible on the left side of one camera, on the blue background for the medley. The early scene with Dean and Frank has their white shirts overexposed to the point of clipping the detail. In one scene, I thought I saw a lttle blue misregistration near the top of the image. All in all, superior quality to what sometimes got on the air from other live studios.

Digital conversion - 5 stars
Wish I knew the details of how the conversion was done. Not a trace of chroma dots, but at the same time no visible noise and no motion artifacts from the process. At one time, only one brand of NTSC decoder could come close (Faroudja), and I suspect this was done with much more sophisticated hardware/software than that, perhaps with some sort of full motion-compensated field/frame conversion.
Color quality - perfect. No idea how much adjustment was made in the conversion, but the original must have been excellent to get this result.

I am really pissed they haven't released a DVD. It really would be prime material for demonstrating what a vintage TV could do, as composite output from a DVD player.

EDIT: Note that I watched it as recorded on my DISH Network satellite DVR, but I didn't notice any digital artifacts from a viewing distance of 4-5 picture heights or during the few times I stepped closer to pick out artifacts of any kind.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 11-30-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Stunning. I like how the picture was totally noise free.
They used a state of the art Teranex deinterlacer/upscaler
Old 12-07-2021, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are connectors that could be used to hook to a DVD recorder.

I have a toshiba and it has been faithful for years , Panasonic seems good too.
Had Emerson and it is no more l had identical Emerson and it failed too.