Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
PS , NO I most certainly did NOT read the entirety of the post before mine .
Like the old proverb , oftentimes the more words there are , the less is actually being said .......
# That'a a good point I may delete the anecdotal drama rubbish or append it
FWIW that drama was the analogy to a lethal radio and common design here a poster was dismissive about and his GFI outlets or mine are not foolproof, they are not crowbar switches or fast blow fuses or isolation transformers a fool-would not own if they work on a lot of these AC DC tube radios .

They say you cant fix stupid and electricity doesn't care

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-15-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: tidy
Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
They say "talk is cheap" ....

And ,

Thank God here at VK we don't pay by the word , cause this dude would have a $10K bill after a week of posting
ppfftttt yes too wordy , see the edit and it should be clear now !

OTOH maybe the original direct reply to another was an analogy with a specific intent over your simple mind anyway

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-15-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
???
yes it was wordy see the edit ,
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Good God, all that dialogue over a S120!!!
BTW, I'm a little more than just a hobbyist, plus I have four years of Tech school, associated with my Electrician Apprenticship. Plus, several years of practical experience, that no tech school can offer! Why do you think, I knew exactly what set you were working on, if I didn't have experience with the faults of the set.
Another thing, I've been equipping my workshop with GFCI receptacles, ever since they became available, something like 30 years. It minimizes a shock hazard when working on equipment like this!
pffttt read the edit or have some one explain it to you

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-15-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
...... your simple mind anyway .....
When you resort to hurling personal insults at folks like the one I quoted above , it's proof that you've lost any kind of original point you were trying to make , and are now looking for a good ol fashioned "internet dustup" ....

Let me tell you , this board takes a VERY dim view of such provocation , and I have seen plenty of folks shown the door for hurling just the kinds of "simple mind" insults you just posted .

Think about it ......
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Dude, just to reiterate, check the heater wiring to verify that the 1st audio tube's heater is at the bottom (ground) end of the string. If it's not, it could be introducing hum downstream of the vol. control
I will add the common mode fixed AC hum and thd+n high distortion is present at VOL control center tap and other end presumably from the 12AT7 First Audio AVC dual-triode > Diode plates that are parallel wired in this radio.

Including the 2 Vol.pot caps and 50C5 final beam power tube correct uF cntrl.grid cap ,

I have 4 NOS not spendy tubes shipped and ~10 discrete circuit caps with the uF # @630v values from Hayseed Ham-fest ready made made cap kit parts listing for this radio but USA name brand caps not whatever they sell there and noting new Lytics are installed in this radio anyway so pricing was more favorable this way and total $2.50 USPS .

Instead of getting stuck up for small order at Amazon, E bay, Mouser or Digikey

I found them all cheap at Tube Depot store with the over priced tubes I wont buy there :LOL

If all that does not fix it I will jimmy rig a sig. tracer and diode detector with a Ti PDIP- 8 op amp and some buffer caps and a battery & whatever else it may I need all I probably have sine its nit tube radio stuff & I can use the Senns. HD280 phones and for the amp/tracer a capacitor /diode detector series probe for the radio sig path before AF conversion ofc with a cap uF verified that passes the AC hum and see if I can find the origination of the AC hum if it is not the bloody tube heater wire order you kindly informed me of ,they could have skewed that too , noting the 50C5 outpt. cntrl. grid cap is way wrong uF from factory ,will keep advised,

OTOH i could use my Schitt Audio Magni headphone amp it is very quiet and runs on DC wall wart .what do you think about that + diode and cap probe instead of op amp and maybe a cap on audio in to HP amp ground or no ?

full stop.

regards

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
When you resort to hurling personal insults at folks like the one I quoted above , it's proof that you've lost any kind of original point you were trying to make , and are now looking for a good ol fashioned "internet dustup" ....

Let me tell you , this board takes a VERY dim view of such provocation , and I have seen plenty of folks shown the door for hurling just the kinds of "simple mind" insults you just posted .

Think about it ......
You are not the VK board or a MOD and the intended to be harmless humor obviously does not suite you for some reason I don't concern myself with .

OTOH My background CAL State University education EE undergrad studies on the subject at hand may be superior to whatever you have in this electronics world so no need to jump in about the radio ,I have it covered thank you for your reply .
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm , I've seen that misplaced anger somewhere before ......

Ah Ha ! Now I remember , "Captainclock" , is that you ?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, how bad is the hum, anyway? Every time I fix up an AA5, there's always some residual hum, I think it's kind of the nature of the beast.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmm , I've seen that misplaced anger somewhere before ......

Ah Ha ! Now I remember , "Captainclock" , is that you ?
I belive you crossed the line to trolling to incite others a long time ago I may report you , think about that

I try to NOT TO LET ignorant trolls get to my vanity and those poor behavior mechanisms I use some times if that applies to you to you BTW
Audiokarma
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
So, how bad is the hum, anyway? Every time I fix up an AA5, there's always some residual hum, I think it's kind of the nature of the beast.
Right I understand that.even a lot of the old 1937-1946 and mid century transformer radios had a high nose floor and poor DC ripple or ground loop filtering to audio thats a given on an old discrete AM tube radio or these .

The common mode fixed hum , maybe not related to elevated thd+ n noting both are are too far from the mean and average and the hum can garble speech and usable volumes.

Lytics are new, 11 caps (some suspects ) and 4 NOS tubes that may cover all this are on the way ,Hum is originating before First Audio /AVC Dual Triode Diode plates if that matters

Could be leaky tube heater ,Heater Cathode tube short, Cathode circuit,tube heater wiring order out of proper sequence but I don't think so , hum originates way ahead of 50C5 beam power output tube where the AC hum would leak in with a faulty tube heater wiring sequence instead of a tube heater >cathode short or tube heater leak it may be ,could be leaky Vol. Pot cap or a bad (leaky ) VOL.pot , maybe 50C5 cathode circuit @ C32D 20uF 25v cap and maybe the R15 & R16 carbon resistors or any number of parts or tubes shipped that includes some of all if this this ,

I may have it coverd and it was getting all this in any case outside of the 50C5 cathode circiut and Vol. Pot, .

I can Jimmy Rig a pre conversion Tracer an Altoids Tin with a diode detector , .001 uF capacitor that can discern an AC hum ,an OP amp, a battrey and buffer caps & whatever for a Ti PDIP- 8 type op amp , most of that is probably here if its not a tube radio circuit part shipping. or for any tube rig part

The squakers in these Halli. S120 SWL AA4 radios like this are horrid but its not for music or games here just occasional bed time casual SWL propaganda or KCBS in AM if I'm not watching my 05.2017 NIB 2016 retina searing 4K HDR 1000 QDOT, SUHD Samsung 55" TV in here on the wall .

These class of radios out side of an AA6 class like a Zenith Transoceanic (my next project radio keeper) with an RF Amp up front + another tuned stage are nearly deaf in SWL anyway.

I bougt it for what it is (nostslgia) here not what it isn't but it's on my 100' end fed and grounded long wire like any SWL radio in here outside of webSDR.

SRSLY old school AM Carrier Wave Analog Mono broadcast on it's best day was /is maybe 40 Hz to maybe 7. or 7.5 Khz and none of these old dogs could hit either end until High Band FM and Phono High Fi on a spendy mid century Hi Fi set back then unless it was something like a 2 way speaker ~ 25 tube ~1939 Zenith Srat 1000 or a big Scott Radio Philharmonic , and like that that all cost more than a new Sr. Buick and maybe some Cadillacs or a ~ 1948 Scott Radio Labs Metropolitan. radio set up or a custom

I could put it to a sound analyzer here in the studio outback on my Lily pad and simulate a normal noise floor, give you +dB reading for hum and thd+n (distortion we can hear NOT Thd ,<<<long documented maybe 1950 + phsycoaucoustics +Audio codec study and PhD peer reviewed research collaborations here ) VOL. thd+n @1m but thats too much for all this but it can garble speech and usable volumes (annoyingly ) @ Zero VOL common mode hum you can hear across the room but I think I have it covered in any case,

Thanks for replying(not trolling) BTW but if you see something I haven't ,jump in

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-16-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bed time listening in a quiet room is when the hum really drives me nuts. Any of my AA5s sound great during the day but unless it has an additional stage of power supply filtering, like some of the early 60s AM/FM sets do, hum is clearly obvious at night when volume is way down low and the house is silent. For this reason some of my favourite AA5 radios are the little cheap Japanese ones with a 3" speaker.. It just can't reproduce any hum due to high resonant frequency of the speaker.

How does it sound during the day time with the volume turned up a little?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bed time listening in a quiet room is when the hum really drives me nuts. Any of my AA5s sound great during the day but unless it has an additional stage of power supply filtering, like some of the early 60s AM/FM sets do, hum is clearly obvious at night when volume is way down low and the house is silent. For this reason some of my favourite AA5 radios are the little cheap Japanese ones with a 3" speaker.. It just can't reproduce any hum due to high resonant frequency of the speaker.

All over room has elevated hum add in thd+n or not it sounds poor beyond the mean and average (<<that is self explanatory engineering /research term "mean and average " BTW and @ any loudness 24/7 IOW ....its broke even.for these radios

if you will note my studies and education further back 6 years electronics and EE studies combined and audio codec + psycho acoustic studies + PhD peer reviewed research collaboration (s) directly above around all that, this issue would be settled or I can bring in any number of nationally prominent PhD and recording industry luminary's that mentored my later studies and were in or lead the research projects to explain all this to you if you like .

But Thanks for replying

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-16-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:

This deaf SWL AA4 radio may replaced for use by a far better sounding and tuning AA6 class (AA6) H 500 Zenith Transoceanic when I finish that yet to acquire project radio and this cam just be a mid century bauble in here which it is far better suited for since day one when it was made

pfftt....you know its basically nearly & literally 1936 AA5 radio or no ?

[/B]
All over room has elevated FIXED hum (you know what that is? ) add in thd+n or not it sounds poor beyond the mean and average (<<that is self explanatory engineering - research language "mean and average " BTW and @ any loudness 24/7 IOW ....its broke even.for these radios

If you will note my studies and education further back 6 years electronics and EE studies consecutively & much more recent digital audio codec and psycho acoustic studies + PhD peer reviewed research collaboration around all that, (5 + years there) this issue would be settled or I can bring in any number of nationally prominent PhD and recording industry luminary's or a nationally prominent EE + PhD too (<<<dude has more brains than a person should have ) most of these luminary's mentored our group studies + our research projects to explain all this to you if you like .

SRSLY at that level it could be academically and argumentatively BRUTAL for Month's on end and it often was like that , not High school >not Audio Karma> not ignorant snob audio we ridicule or the prominent snob audio pundits and editors we justifiably ridiculed unmercifully or never cheer leading it was knock down drag out scientific research and >> NOT COGNITIVE BIAS or SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS EVER just verifiable and repeatable DATA

BTW some of the labels ,S.E.'s ,mixers and perhaps coders use our results but its not a new wheel invention or a new codec it is something subtle likely you don't understand and it has to do with the usual lower Nyquist rates , digital artifacts , noise floors and dynamic range like any digital content or production or media specific mix like commercial CD ,24 bit studio masters CD replication mix ,club mix ,hires mix or steaming music &

^^^^ The above is in use here in the THX PM3 Pro digital content creation studio for our projects albums ,beats and catalogs s

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Resident Lunatic

The personal insults need to stop. Now. If you don't like the advice you're being given, ignore it, move on, and put your EE to use and fix your radio yourself.

I'm closing this thread; it's devolved into nothing but mudslinging and inane sniping.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread