Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oldest McDonald's in Portland to be demolished

1962 McDonald's in Portland, Oregon to be demolished. Better bring the big sledge hammers and blow torches to destroy the demolition company's machines. Let's smash up every Caterpiller excavator and recycle them into parts for vintage TVs, film projectors and other useful things.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 AM
M is for Memory

Sad.

The one in Desplains Il. that my Mom grew up eating at (which I believe is older: 1959?) ain't going anywhere so I think I'll save myself cross-country air fair and a vandalism charge.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-10-2018, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think all the old McD's in our area are long gone. They were very small as a
rule. Most Howard Johnsons are still restaurants. I sure miss those days when
you could actually EAT McD food. If they came out with a "classic" menu
made the same way it was 50 yrs ago it would cure the slide in biz.
They would knock the crown off the burger kings head & kick Wendys ass.
But sadly the gov has its boot on McD's throat & they are cowards so
wont do it.
BTW if you are not over 50 you have no idea how big
HoJo's was. They are gone & it can happen to McD also. The bigger they
are the harder they fall..........

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
1962 McDonald's in Portland, Oregon to be demolished. Better bring the big sledge hammers and blow torches to destroy the demolition company's machines. Let's smash up every Caterpiller excavator and recycle them into parts for vintage TVs, film projectors and other useful things.
Gotta be honest with ya here , of all the vintage things I'm fond of preserving , a vintage greasy spoon would be the last thing I'd be taking up torches & pitchforks over . Especially a McDs . Yuck & good riddance ....

PS , Zeno is 100% correct , back in it's heyday HoJos had it ALL OVER McDs !
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
I sure miss those days when you could actually EAT McD food. If they came out with a "classic" menu made the same way it was 50 yrs ago it would cure the slide in biz.
Holy crap, I never thought there was any possibility of that ruthless corporate giant going under. For ages I've considered them and China Mart to be the world's most evil companies; little wonder they often share a roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Gotta be honest with ya here , of all the vintage things I'm fond of preserving , a vintage greasy spoon would be the last thing I'd be taking up torches & pitchforks over . Especially a McDs . Yuck & good riddance ....

Given the blessing of Johnny Law to destroy one of those places I'd use any and all weapons I could get my hands on.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

The last time I heard the term "Greasy Spoon" was from a gentleman a generation before mine. My father also used it.
BTW, I'm 73 YO.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The last time I heard the term "Greasy Spoon" was from a gentleman a generation before mine. My father also used it.
BTW, I'm 73 YO.
I heard it on Corner Gas once, Wanda said it.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sad.

The one in Desplains Il. that my Mom grew up eating at (which I believe is older: 1959?) ain't going anywhere so I think I'll save myself cross-country air fair and a vandalism charge.
Unfortunately, they already tore that McDonald's down in 1984, then they realized how stupid that was, so they built a replica of it on the same spot as a museum apparently. Now, I last heard, they may have just torn down THAT one (the replica), too, in November 2017, unless it got saved and moved.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
If they came out with a "classic" menu
made the same way it was 50 yrs ago it would cure the slide in biz.
They would knock the crown off the burger kings head & kick Wendys ass.
We have a chain of burger places here in California that essentially IS about what McDonald's was in the 1950s, and they even have the same colors (red, yellow, and white) of the old McDonald's restaurants. The food itself is probably better than McDonald's ever was, though, too. And, indeed they are far busier than Burger King or Wendy's every time I go to one.

The chain is called In-N-Out Burger. They have been around since before McDonald's.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-18-2018, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Unfortunately, they already tore that McDonald's down in 1984, then they realized how stupid that was, so they built a replica of it on the same spot as a museum apparently. Now, I last heard, they may have just torn down THAT one (the replica), too, in November 2017, unless it got saved and moved.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...121-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDona...1_Store_Museum

Audiokarma
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
We have a chain of burger places here in California that essentially IS about what McDonald's was in the 1950s, and they even have the same colors (red, yellow, and white) of the old McDonald's restaurants. The food itself is probably better than McDonald's ever was, though, too. And, indeed they are far busier than Burger King or Wendy's every time I go to one.

The chain is called In-N-Out Burger. They have been around since before McDonald's.
Love that place, I have to go there anytime I'm in California or Arizona. I also heard they are planning to open one in Colorado Springs this year. Only problem is palm trees don't grow here, so it won't have the iconic crossed palms in front of the store. Maybe they could use Aspen trees, just cut off all the lower branches and get a shape vaguely similar to a palm tree.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Resident Lunatic

I think it is sad when corporate giants fail to preserve their own history. The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is incredibly depressing when compared to the GM Heritage Center for example. McDonald's would be wise to either give an incentive to the franchisees with the oldest surviving restaurants to maintain them as they are, or buy and operate them outright.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 PM
M is for Memory

Apparently, I've not been told the whole truth...Well, I can at least save on airfare.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the early 2000s I was at a convention in Portland OR and there met Dick and his wife. This was the Dick who founded the eponymous burger bars before McDonald founded his: http://www.ddir.com/about/

When he heard we were travelling on to Seatlle he invited us to stay with him overnight and gave us a voucher good for 2 meals at one of his places.

Since Dick didn't modernise his places they're now very fashionably retro and a Seattle institution.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

If I recall correctly the first McDonalds in Canada is still currently located in Richmond BC. I can't recall if it was the building or the original sign out front but one of the two are in protected status.

Audiokarma