Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
But the cartridge element always dies an early death.
As well as most records played with the low compliance / high output cartridge.... hopefully this is a 78rpm only player.

jr
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Administrator

No, it's not. It's a Steelman 4A28 multiple speed, cheapest cheapest record player I've ever seen.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
No, it's not. It's a Steelman 4A28 multiple speed, cheapest cheapest record player I've ever seen.
As kids, we had a lot of enjoyment, listening to the latest hits, on one of those one-tube wonders.
Steelman was part of Roland-Steelman corp, of New York.
Roland seemed to be the radio line, where Steelman was the phono line. I think, they also made private label products.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Steelman Hi-Fi

My parents had a portable Steelman Stereo Hi-Fi (the words were on the front, I think) from about 1958, which was the year I was born. It had a separate right channel speaker with a long cord and a balance control that activated it. Case was a very dark tan color with gold anodized grillework and clear plastic knobs on top. Changer was a VM. I still have it in my basement, but it no longer works.

It had a Ronette turnover cartridge--probably crystal--and that bit the dust first, but only after about 20 years of use. This record player was my first exposure to the "tube smell" of warm vacuum tubes and it lasted well into my teenage years. We took pretty good care of it and rarely left it "on." I would even park the idler on 78 to keep it from getting a flat place, once I learned how record players worked. It never failed to work all those years.

One major childhood memory of it was mom playing Sousa marches while my sister and I rode tricycles up and down the oak hallway floor (ranch houses had long halls) on a rainy day. The wood baseboards still have scratches from that.