Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

'48 Mantola portable radio

I just received this Mantola (B.F. Goodrich) model R561 portable AC/DC/bettery operated 6 tube portable radio. For battery power, it uses one Eveready #743 "A" battery and two #762 "B" batteries. According to the schematic, early productions of this radio used a 3 gang tuning cap. Late production models used a 2 gang cap (osc. and ant.). The RF section uses a variable inductor. My radio is the late production model.

I've made no effort to power up this radio; but, it needs a new dial string and some of the rubber coated wiring needs to be replaced. The cabinet is in very good shape, considering it's a portable. IDK; but, the radio chassis looks like a rebadged Admiral.

As far as the batteries, I know that there are no economical direct replacements made; so, I'll rig up some modern batteries to operate this radio. I've seen some reproduction batteries that actually hold modern batteries, which I may look in to one day.

This looks like it will be a decent performer, once properly restored.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

That radio's in nice condition, copper-plated chassis, no less. I like the looks of the dial and grille. I'll bet a little paste brown shoe polish would fix the scuffs. The B batteries (45 volt) can be made up of five 9-volt transistor batteries snapped together + to -.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:41 AM
RCA 741PCS

Hey, that radio looks awfully familiar. Ah, yes here it is. You're right it's a rebranded Admiral.

Forum member "batterymaker" makes those replica old time looking batteries with modern cells inside.

Last edited by bandersen; 01-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

If my memory is correct, Mantola was sold by a tire manufacturer, BF Goodrich, I believe. I guess they used Admiral to make some of their radios.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
<----Zenith C845

Interesting that B. F. Goodrich had a plant in Los Angeles, as stated at the bottom of the tube layout chart below the patent notices. I always thought they had only one tire manufacturing plant in Akron, Ohio, 30 miles southwest of Cleveland. When was the L. A. plant established? I think BFG's Akron plant was the first, but I am by no means certain.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

I also think that they had a plant in Miami, Oklahoma. During college many years ago, I worked part time for an electronics shop there. The owner repaired TVs, 8 track tape players, etc. He sold auto and CB electronics mostly. In any case, the owner also had a side job as a security guard at the BF Goodrich plant.

The sad thing is that just after I graduated from the JR. college there and went on to a 4 year school, the the owner died. He was very overweight and smoked. He died from a heart attack after lifting a TV that is described as an "Aircraft Carrier" in the TV forums. Those large heavy TVs are dangerous!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Interesting that B. F. Goodrich had a plant in Los Angeles, as stated at the bottom of the tube layout chart below the patent notices. I always thought they had only one tire manufacturing plant in Akron, Ohio, 30 miles southwest of Cleveland. When was the L. A. plant established? I think BFG's Akron plant was the first, but I am by no means certain.
L.A. may have just been the Goodrich western regional office. The label does say "manufactured for..."

Packard Bell, Hoffman, Gilfillan Bros. were manufactured on the west coast for sure.