Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Better text below

Last edited by Dave A; 03-26-2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: text
Old 03-26-2021, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

alespn got it. ABC bought Ampex BC-100 cameras in 1967 for sports and we are seeing one. It is a two tube effort with a backpack. One backpack was for live video via cable. The other option was a microwave xmtr option with batteries. But the best part is the two tube operation. It was a L/G tube and a R/B tube which was pushed by a field-sequential spinning disc with R/B filters. It's 1952 again. The R/B signal went to a delay line then to be re-inserted with the L/G. First via an optical disc recorder then upgraded to a giant quartz crystal delay in a huge cabinet. The internet can explain this better than me. The Ampex brochure makes no mention of spinning discs. This may explain some of the RGB stutters in the above photo. Goldmark must have been laughing.

The Ampex sales sheet;
https://www.tvcameramuseum.org/pdfs/ampex/bc100broc.pdf

A group about half-way down;
https://groups.io/g/OldVTRS/topic/30...,0,0,0,3054694
Old 03-28-2021, 08:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Today's games really need to upgrade to 8k cameras - enough of this harsh picture quality with standard 2/3" native pixel-count camera sensors already!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's immaterial. Today's quality is caused by intentionally degrading the picture with grossly, amazingly, too few bits. ATSC is 19 megabits/sec which is more or less adequate, but they are using fewer than 6 megabits/sec. Even static pictures look awful. Every channel , every subchannel, cable, streamed, or over the air.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
That's immaterial. Today's quality is caused by intentionally degrading the picture with grossly, amazingly, too few bits. .... Even static pictures look awful. Every channel streamed, ....
Not true fo streaming.
Sony Bravia Core: claimed up to 80 mbs.
Apple TV: 25 to 40 mbs.
Netflix: 15 to 25 mbs.

Individual streaming quality is dependent on the speed of WiFi used and the steaming service chosen and the program watched.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Anyways, sourcing from a 2k pixel sensor is off to a really bad start for "HD"
Anyone see the RWC games from Japan on NBC, sourced with 8k cameras!
-very smooth, pleasant 'low-fatigue' HD images!
Sony is falling behind on UHD broadcast cameras; Ikegami & Hitachi are forging ahead.
The NHK RWC games used Ikegami & Hitachi 8k cameras.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
Anyone see the RWC games from Japan on NBC, sourced with 8k cameras!
-very smooth, pleasant 'low-fatigue' HD images!
No I did not see those.

But NO program I have seen on NBC recently has been better than "passable",
and even that applies only to things like locally produced talking heads.

Any sports rates as "horribly bad, execrable", 0 on a scale of 1-10.

They are currently showing a trial. OTA the non-camera-created lettering looks reasonably good, not full HD quality, but edges don't look horribly
"overshaprened". On Comcast, edges are seriously oversharpened.
The peacock looks pretty good, just a little soft, from far away, but up close, shows level steps.

The camera material is poor but not truly bad ... say 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10. Edges show terrible overenhancement. The lawyer's gray coat shows not the slightest bit of detail whatsoever. Slightly out of focus detail in mottled areas shows signs of sitting still with zero noise for say 1/3 second then there will be a step of a pixel in location or a step of a few levels of intensity. This is the same OTA and Comcast. The lawyer's hair is like that except worse.

They have now gone to one of those "victim" shows. Its a black guy with a bald pate. The detail on his face outside sharp high contrast edges is nil. The edges are hyperoversharpened. Computer generated text looks like its not real 1080i which NBC is supposed to be.

And this is in the absence of any serious movement at all.

None of this is in the league of a really good Blu-Ray movie.

A locally generated ad with ONLY computer generated large type looked excellent except for slighly unsharp edges.

Last edited by dtvmcdonald; 03-29-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:37 PM
TV DXer...

"But NO program I have seen on NBC recently has been better than "passable",
and even that applies only to things like locally produced talking heads."

Not in my case. Example Tampa Bays NBC WFLA looks excellent. Local live news, NBC nightly news, Saturday Night Live, Live sporting events, etc are razor sharp. Because, A: Sony TV's B: roof antenna. I've compared it with cable and cable looks real bad. If you ever saw OTA TV from a roof antenna you would not go back to cable...
Old 03-29-2021, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Our local ABC affiliate, WSB, only transmits at 720i. All of the others transmit at 1080i. The difference is noticeable OTA. Guess they figured just about everyone is using cable or U-verse and can't tell the difference anyway. I'm a little bit surprised as WSB used to be the technology leader in Atlanta.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can see a noticeable improvement in OTA picture quality from my roof antenna and looks very good. We now have 4K OTA from Phoenix stations. (Not yet available, but soon.) Abandoned cable 26 years ago because of picture quality. Been with Direct TV ever since. There have been issues with satellite such as compression, could see it when they did it and pixelization in the early 2000’s. That’s been fixed and I’m good with the picture quality. Streaming in 4K HDR from my platforms looks excellent. I’ve heard fiber, if configured all the way to home output is the best “wired” solution. I’ve not seen fiber. Physical BluRay 4K HDR is the best IMO.

Last edited by etype2; 03-29-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-29-2021, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
"I did not see those...on NBC"
take a peek, set y/tube res to highest, nice state of the art cameras!

Last edited by NewVista; 03-29-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
Our local ABC affiliate, WSB, only transmits at 720i. All of the others transmit at 1080i. The difference is noticeable OTA. Guess they figured just about everyone is using cable or U-verse and can't tell the difference anyway. I'm a little bit surprised as WSB used to be the technology leader in Atlanta.
Do you mean 720P? ABC decided a long time ago that 720P was better for high-motion sports than 1080i, although the resolution is noticeably reduced for non-action scenes. As a result, many of their affiliates went to 720p as their in-house format. Many early HDTVs did not handle format switches smoothly (don't know the situation now), plus there is difficulty in handling varying formats within a station. The result is that most or all stations convert incoming material to their base format and all switching/mixing and final emission is done in that format.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
"But NO program I have seen on NBC recently has been better than "passable",
and even that applies only to things like locally produced talking heads."

Not in my case. Example Tampa Bays NBC WFLA looks excellent. Local live news, NBC nightly news, Saturday Night Live, Live sporting events, etc are razor sharp. Because, A: Sony TV's B: roof antenna. I've compared it with cable and cable looks real bad. If you ever saw OTA TV from a roof antenna you would not go back to cable...
I have a Sony TV. I've also tried RGB from two old ATSC to RGB boxers,
one Motorola, one Accurian. They all look identical.

I have an outdoor antenna.
Looking at the signal on a spectrum analyzer shows that no station has any problem with multipath ... which the Motorola box does not like, while the
Sony and the Accurian can handle it. After all, it IS digital, which either works
perfectly or breaks up badly.

The problem is the quality of signal transmitted. Period. Too few bits. It does not matter the quality of the camera unless its a toy.

I should add that when digital OTA first came on, some programs, even sports, were truly excellent. That's before the providers decided that customers don't care about quality.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:31 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

"Content is king" is an old adage. Remember when people were happy to bootleg 3rd-generation VHS copies of Star Wars?
Old 03-29-2021, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
"Content is king" is an old adage. Remember when people were happy to bootleg 3rd-generation VHS copies of Star Wars?
I do remember although not bootlegged. Had a Sony U-Matic prior to VHS and Beta. Content for home viewing was scarce, but one could record programs and watch later. :-)