Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oscilloscope Question

Hi Im going to buy a oscilloscope in the near future and was thinking of the Velleman oscilloscope HPS50 Or the HPS40 and maybe the HPS10SE . I also like the the fluke oscilloscope too but I don't like the Prices On eBay Now . I was thinking of getting a standard Tektronix Scope too Buy they also are Too High off of eBay also . I tried Craigslist buy I cant seem to find one cheap , I don't want to invest too much money I really don't repair electronics all the time too . But Since I repair my own equipment and really enjoy fixing things my self , for self satisfaction . I like the portable scopes because I can place it on my Kitchen table really easy and Don't have to worry if the table is colluder with My repair tools . My first choice would be Fluke for quality , but there Kind of High right Now . Second would be velleman oscilloscopes .. Also I wouldn't buy that cheap Chinese junk for the life of me . The only problem is velleman is a single channel scope where Fluke is a Dual channel scope Which I told not to get a single channel scope . Its better for me to have a dual channel scope .
Old 01-25-2014, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

IMO, hard to beat a good, used Tek. What are you planning to spend?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVM View Post
IMO, hard to beat a good, used Tek.
Ditto !

465, 475 hard to beat these, and they can be had for $170. including shipping if you are willing to wait for the right one, they will be more than enough for tv radio work. Even some of the 22XX series were good scopes, also small rugged.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Technohippie

Another vote for a good used Tektronix.

A 453 or 454 is a good basic scope, and shouldn't cost more than $150 even for a really clean example. The 465 is another good choice, along with the 22xx series stuff, but they will cost you a bit more.

If you are anywhere near NJ, I have a nice working 7623 with 2 dual trace plugins that I would let go for $150. But shipping it would be $$$...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you can find a Hitachi VC-6025 cheap that would be a good deal too. Good performer but made with soft aluminum through-out and can get beat up quite easily. Stay away from from the 6015's or 6020's as the time/scale switches are flakey/junk. ++ on the Tek scope's though.
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I kind of like the digital scopes and don't need much . That's why I was thing a velleman oscilloscope , because its small and can be placed on my kitchen table with all sorts of stuff .Also I can place it away in my plastic storage box when I want to use it .But your right on Tektronix's scopes there very good . I have been looking on eBay . I wish I could find one in the thrift store , that way I can get it cheap too .
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Im thinking of a portable scope like Non Linear systems MS-230 OR 215 . its small and portable I can place it on my kitchen table . Perfect for me and storage is a plus too . Its battery powered on three D-cells also it Two channel scope and Has a XY mode too for use with a octopus or component tester . Makes it easy for testing Diodes and transistors and resistors as well . But My biggest problem is the Ham people are getting greedy and driving the price of the oscilloscopes up thru the roof . I wish those Dam Ham guys won't do that . I trying to find a scope at a good price . Most of those guys have more that one and is buying those things up . THAT MAKES NO SENCE .
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Im On the lookout for a NLS scope like model NLS-MS15 OR NLS-MS-215 . Im very interested in these scopes .I am looking for one
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Anything made recently is probably from China. That doesn't mean they are all crap, but earlier you said you didn't want Chinese junk, so I thought I would suggest a used Tek. The new digital Rigol scopes (made in ?) seem to get good reviews and are pretty affordable for a new basic model.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes I seen them reviewed on youtube too . I wa also thinking a velleman scope too like the hps50 or hps40 but there only single channel the fluke scopes on eBay are going for like 400.00 bucks used . But Im told that analog scopes respond better to the signal compared to digital ones . I don't want to spend no more than 200.00 bucks on a scope .
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

VTVM @

I also thinking of a used NLS-MS215 OR 230 oscilloscope they seem to be liked by the Ham radio guys very well , but it also suffers from some measurement problems too like some of the velleman scopes like the HPS-10 it only has 2 mhz bandwidth . The HPS40 Has 12 MHz bandwidth for signals . Im going to keep a lookout for a scope I like . Im kind of set on a NLS-MS215 dual channel scope powered by 3 2.3volt d cells lead acid batteries . The velleman HPS-50 would be second choice for me .I maybe able to find it for about 200.00 bucks.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVM View Post
Anything made recently is probably from China. That doesn't mean they are all crap, but earlier you said you didn't want Chinese junk, so I thought I would suggest a used Tek. The new digital Rigol scopes (made in ?) seem to get good reviews and are pretty affordable for a new basic model.
The lower end of the Rigol range is quite good for the money, and has a HUGE user base. The build quality is nice for a mass produced Chinese product. If you buy the 50MHz DS1052E, a simple firmware hack will upgrade it to 100 MHz without even having to open it up.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

That May be so of the Chinese Built scopes , But Im not supporting there economy I would rather Buy a used American made scope than a Chinese scope . I think the American made scopes are better anyway .Im kind of patriotic to that cause .But you maybe right about the Chinese built scopes , But I cant see buying a communist built product and running America down the drain . We can get this country going again and build are products in America if need to . We really don't need the outside world for much of anything .But the politicians sold us down the river long ago .It mostly started in the early 1970's and now its worst than ever .Closing are manufacturing factices in the USA and opening them up in china for cheap labor .There's only one way to win is to dump the televisions on the market at giveaway prices and put them out of business fast .I bet within a year they will fold up .But you need billions of dollars to do that .