Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Banned

Using Rubber Renue on Hardened Idler Tires?

Hello Everyone the other day I had ordered some Rubber Renue from Amazon.com to try and see if I could try and get the idler tire for my Zenith Microtouch 2G Record Player from 1967 going again (the idler tire had hardened into almost a plastic like consistency and was causing the turntable platter to slip mid cycle when I would activate the changer.)
And well it seems that possibly my idler tire might be too far gone to try and save using the Rubber Renue because I had quite literally slathered that stuff onto the idler tire and let it soak in and did it several times over a period of 5 hours this past Saturday, and it didn't seem to be making any difference.

Was I maybe doing something wrong, or is it that the idler tire is just too far gone to be salvaged?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Followin' the Rules...

It's probably too far gone - the plasticizers (oily like substances that give rubber it's softness and resilience) have likely evaporated. We used Rubber Renu in the 70s/80s, but I couldn't find it in late 1999 - I guess Rawn Chemicals quit making it and someone else picked it up.

Some have had luck with a recoat (a buildup of several thin coats) of Permatex liquid tape - I tried it on a Webcor wire recorder idler/drive wheenl and it worked for a while - long enough for me to listen to several reels of recordings. YMMV...

The liquid tape is sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards. Heck, it may even be sold at some Auto parts stores, being a Permatex product.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
It's probably too far gone - the plasticizers (oily like substances that give rubber it's softness and resilience) have likely evaporated. We used Rubber Renu in the 70s/80s, but I couldn't find it in late 1999 - I guess Rawn Chemicals quit making it and someone else picked it up.

Some have had luck with a recoat (a buildup of several thin coats) of Permatex liquid tape - I tried it on a Webcor wire recorder idler/drive wheenl and it worked for a while - long enough for me to listen to several reels of recordings. YMMV...

The liquid tape is sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards. Heck, it may even be sold at some Auto parts stores, being a Permatex product.
I figured as much but wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask here.
Although weird thing is that I think it must of been working a little bit because the top of the idler tire was softer to the touch than before, but the sides (the part that actually makes contact with the platter) were still rock hard...
Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have used typewriter platen cleaner before with some success. Nowadays, you'd have to be Tom Hanks to know where to pick some up, though. Or search Google.

Chip
Old 12-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
I have used typewriter platen cleaner before with some success. Nowadays, you'd have to be Tom Hanks to know where to pick some up, though. Or search Google.

Chip
thanks, I'll keep my eye out for some, although I alreay spent $10 for the rubber renue stuff with the expectation that it would work somewhat on my idler tire all to find out that they might of been to far gone to try and save...
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a common problem on all VM idler wheels from that period and you'd be better off spending the $30 to have the wheel rebuilt. Rubber Renue does OK for cleaning an old wheel that is otherwise good and it will give it a little more grip; but, when they are rock solid and/or cracked, all you can do is have the wheel rebuilt (if you expect it to last a long time).
Old 12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That's a common problem on all VM idler wheels from that period and you'd be better off spending the $30 to have the wheel rebuilt. Rubber Renue does OK for cleaning an old wheel that is otherwise good and it will give it a little more grip; but, when they are rock solid and/or cracked, all you can do is have the wheel rebuilt (if you expect it to last a long time).
That's what I kind of figured but I thought I'd might as well give it a shot.
I'll probably just save up my money and buy the idler tire from Gary Stork over at the Voice of Music.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:33 PM
M is for Memory

One last idea is that the outer edge may only have a thin layer of the slippery hardened rubber on it....If that is the case cleaning it with Goof Off may remove that layer and get down to good rubber.....If the whole darn wheel is petrified though it won't work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
One last idea is that the outer edge may only have a thin layer of the slippery hardened rubber on it....If that is the case cleaning it with Goof Off may remove that layer and get down to good rubber.....If the whole darn wheel is petrified though it won't work.
I think the whole thing is petrified because even on the top it feels like plastic.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the idler wheel is really far gone, try removing it and using a nail or some other tubular device as an axle to hold the wheel against a running belt sander belt or a disc sander disc. If you hold it at a slight angle to the surface motion direction, it will grind off a little bit of the rubber. I did this once with a tape recorder pinch roller--it worked.

Chris Campbell
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Chris View Post
If the idler wheel is really far gone, try removing it and using a nail or some other tubular device as an axle to hold the wheel against a running belt sander belt or a disc sander disc. If you hold it at a slight angle to the surface motion direction, it will grind off a little bit of the rubber. I did this once with a tape recorder pinch roller--it worked.

Chris Campbell
I sadly I don't have access to a belt or orbital sander so this option is out for me...

My mom has a palm sander but I doubt that would do the same thing.