Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

philco golden grid, pristine condition

looking for parts for 1953 Golden Grid TV.
knobs, tubes, need manuals. new hobby for me. but it sure does look great!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post the model number, if you can. I think Philco was still using their old numbering system that year, so the first two digits will be 53. I'm sure we can find you a Sams Photofact manual without much trouble. Tubes are also very easy, once we figure out what types you need. A photo would be a good start as far as finding knobs. If your set is totally missing them, somebody on here may recognize what you need.

Welcome to VK!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome to VK.
I also got your E-Mail.

Is your set only missing the knobs and the tubes or is it also missing the chassis? I was a little confused about that point.

The only tube that would be hard to get would be the picture tube, the only small tubes that would be expensive are the ones that have a function in the Audio world, 6V6, 6SN7, 12AX7 and the like, I'm not sure if this set uses any of these.

I might have some knobs, I'll have to look in the box-o-knobs.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
<----Zenith C845

I'm not familiar with Philco "Golden Grid" TVs (probably so named because they may have tuner tubes or video IF tubes, or both, with gold-plated grids), but if your set is Philco's "Microgrid 390" model, you have an excellent set that will be well worth the effort it will take to restore it. I had a 23" MG390 console set I rescued from a trash pile in the early 1970s, and it worked very well for me -- until the base came unglued from the CRT neck and came off. I made the mistake of hard-wiring the CRT leads from the chassis to the wires protruding from the neck, where the socket should be. The set actually worked quite well for a while, until one of the CRT leads broke off flush with the glass, fell across two or more other leads on the tube -- then there was a spark and the set quit; no fire, thank goodness. I didn't know much about advanced TV repair at that time (I was only 14 years old in 1970), but if the Internet and VK had been around then, I could have gotten information on how to safely handle CRTs on which the bases have parted company with the neck.

Oh well. It was probably just as well I had to junk that set, as I found out a year or so later I would have to move (long story and OT) and would not be able to take the set with me. If I had it to do over again, however, I would do things a lot differently with that CRT, researching VK before doing anything.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I bought a 1953 Philco Golden Grid TV back in 1994 from a thrift shop in Orange county, California. I paid 18.95 in working condition. I gave it to a friend here in Idaho about 2005 and it is still working. Nice set with a built in antenna and a 3 way switch for the ant. on the top rear of the set. It had a rather large speaker(12"?). Kind of miss it but at least I know where it is and it will be well cared for.
Audiokarma
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Golden Grid Philco

The Model number ; I will have to research.-
(SEE BELOW NUMBERS) The only model number I have starts with a "28-....." which is on the back of the brass on front radio face piece. No other numbers (unless I am missing where they would have engraved this ( in the mahogany cabinet?........ )
Yes, no chas.... ; no tubes, bulbs; ,

I have all of the following:
Glass- milky color- meets the glass on cabinet- EXCELLENT SHAPE
, the border where the picture tube meets ; next to the glass .

Fabric- excellent condition, speaker in tact, (with wires )

Cabinet; small scratch on the top; , All engraving on the front ( where all knobs are missing) is in pristine condition. engraved lettering that is above each knob.

Rollers on the bottom of the cabinet; all in excellent shape.

Back of the unit; cover piece gone.
NO ELECTRONICS, ELECTRICAL
Nothing inside, all completely gutted, (mechanical, or electronics)

INTERIOR- SHELF; COMPLETE, EXCELLENT, NOT DAMAGED, NOR BROKEN-
EXTERIOR CABINET- ALL- ALL GOOD,
The Mahogany , and finish: I first cleaned it with lemon juice, oil, and soap. ( this is a tried and true cleaner- I work with furniture as a hobby) Then I carefully sanded just enough to get the finish, scratches, and "dings" out....
Then I placed (between steel wool and fine sanding ) 12- coats of gloss polymer finish, (helmsmen) Now I am in process of getting educated on all of the real craft ; ( which I know nothing about) other than self teaching.-)

Ya, manuals, help finding the right serial number; all important at this point.
Cleaned radio face Plate, brace, chrome cleaner...... The glass etchings; with the dial numbers ; Excellent shape. Coating on the glass enclosure ; housing the numbers (etched) was scratched; I matched up brown acrylic to the finish ( beleive this to be an acrylic) and it now looks brand new.
More help always needed for this rookie........... Thanks!
"
  • Looked for the serial numbers; no luck.- ?
    Part # on the cabinet

"Part NO." M10979-10
  • "SECOND LINE ON TAG"; Inspection No.= 260 3 19

RADIO BRACE FACE PLATE WITH GLASS , BROWN ACRYLIC FINISH:
  • Brace face plate # 28-9478
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Golden Grid Philco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
post the model number, if you can. I think philco was still using their old numbering system that year, so the first two digits will be 53. I'm sure we can find you a sams photofact manual without much trouble. Tubes are also very easy, once we figure out what types you need. A photo would be a good start as far as finding knobs. If your set is totally missing them, somebody on here may recognize what you need.

Welcome to vk!
- no number found (just numbers listed on my post)
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sadly, I think all those numbers were on labels posted to the chassis or back. Post a photo, if you can. What I would suggest is to find a complete set with a bad cabinet. A table model might work fine. Philco was among the best selling sets in the fifties so they do turn up. I have some chassis/picture tubes, even a complete table model set, but they are all 2-3 years newer and, besides, I am about as far from you as I could be!