Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2002, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's my next project, installing a good used CRT in this Admiral set. The original CRT obviously has severe cataracts but also has weak emission.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Admiral set again, interior view.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just managed to find time to put the cataract-free CRT in that Admiral set. Before I can put the chassis back in, I'll need to do some rework where someone else replaced an electrolytic cap and did a crummy job of it. I hate having to clean up someone else's mess, but I know I'll be happy with the set once it's been fixed my way. I've got lots of things going on this week, so my bench time has been practically nil. Next week, though, I'll have my Sams library.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

The chassis rework is done on my Admiral set. It was a fairly simple matter of moving a "floating" solder connection onto a terminal strip. While I was changing the CRT, I noticed that the little plastic wands that hold the static-convergence magnets are falling apart. There's practically nothing left of the ones for green and red, but the one for blue seems ok. Does anyone have a couple spare magnet holders to fit the old open-frame Admiral convergence yoke? I should be powering it up sometime tomorrow. It's gonna look pretty bad until I can position the convergence magnets right, but at least I'll know whether or not the chassis will produce a raster on a good CRT ... and that's a good start.

Last edited by jshorva65; 08-28-2002 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a shot of the Admiral set with its newly-installed cataract-free CRT. The tuner is in the service-mounting position at the moment.
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

AH, LOOKING MUCH BETTER!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a shot from the back. Note that the tuner is bolted onto the "service mounting" area on the back of the chassis.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC11

I powered up the Admiral 26UH6 and found the B+ to be too low. I've decided to set it aside for the moment since I would need to move it to another location to do any serious trobleshooting, anyway. Knowing the CRT in my RCA CTC11 was also bad, I put my second usable color CRT in that set today. The CTC11 was missing its 6DQ5 horizontal output tube. Since I didn't have any other 6DQ5's, I borrowed the one from the Admiral set until I can get another one ordered. Powering up the RCA was somewhat more productive. The audio started to come on, then the HV, and then I could see a raster. I tuned in a station (no antenna) and got picture and sound. Next, I'll set up the static and dynamic convergence adjustments.

Last edited by jshorva65; 08-30-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:09 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

It's getting there!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

ctc5

Hey folks, I just thought you would like to see what walked in the door a couple of days ago. Well, walked may not be EXACTLY accurate. How about staggered (me and a friend, carrying the set). This ctc-5 was given to me several years ago but it took this long to muster help to drag it out of their basement. Ever notice how many friends we go through in the TV collecting biz? Anyway this was working the last time they fired it up, many years ago, so that should be good news for the crt. It did not work when I eased it up on the variac but that was only to be expected.
Audiokarma
Old 09-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Banned

Re: ctc5

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Mackley
Hey folks, I just thought you would like to see what walked in the door a couple of days ago
Marlin,

Awesome!

Rob
Old 09-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Administrator

John (it is John right?) a fellow from Wisconsin is looking for someone to repair his 57 RCA B&W portable, do you do that type of work and should I refer him to you?

Eric
Old 09-24-2002, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another early color collector

Hey! I really am enjoying this site. I am glad
to join my friends Steve Hoffman and Jon (Klatuu). I currently own a just restored RCA CT-100, 2 RCA CTC 5's (Wingate fulldoor maple console, Strathmore full door blonde console.) These models can be seen on Ed Reitan's site. I also own an extremely rare 1954 Capehart 19" color set. Upright open face mahogany console. W/CBS 19vp22 picture tube.I can't inclued pictures of the sets as WEB-tv doesn't permit this. Jon (Klatuu) has digital off air pix of
the CT-100 if he cares to send them to this site.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse 22" color tv

Just a late addition on the Westinghouse 22" rectangular color tv. These sets were produced in 1957 in several cabinet styles. The shadow mask picture tube was a 22EP22.The Sams folder is :357-12. Does anyone know if one of these sets survives? Also any info on the number produced? And perhaps a picture or ad? Many years ago I happened on this model set in a tv repair shop. It was for sale. it was I recall a blonde table model. The nice man turned it on and it produced a bright picture. Like a dummy I passed on it. I understand these sets had convergence problems. The repair shop is now a mall.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Hey Buddy,

Good to see you here.

When ever you are ready to sell me your beautiful maple RCA CTC 5, let me know!

Both Jon and I got quite a thrill seeing your CT-100 finally up and working.

Ya lucky guy!