Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
My solution was to get one of these and an HDCP stripper. This way, the playback device thinks it's a regular 1080p HDTV.

This will letterbox the content, so you will still be stuck with borders on 4:3 content through this setup. Also, I haven't actually tested this yet.

I’ve been looking at that Gefen converter earlier today, which appears to be higher-quality than the countless cheapo units out there. It’s pricier but it seems like something I’d be much happier with.

Do you know if it will still have the problem with 16:9 content being horizontally squeezed to fit a 4:3 screen though?

I did see that an HDCP defeater would be needed since the Gefen isn’t compliant. Which one of those did you buy?
Old 09-04-2020, 08:48 PM
M is for Memory

If you have squished 4x3 composite out of a converter you could feed that into an extron video scaler then take the VGA output of the extron and feed that into a VGA to composite converter....the Exitron can be configured to create letterbox or cropped out of squeezed video.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-05-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: autocorrects word substitution makes me want to beat a programmer senseless....
Old 09-05-2020, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I’ve been looking at that Gefen converter earlier today, which appears to be higher-quality than the countless cheapo units out there. It’s pricier but it seems like something I’d be much happier with.

Do you know if it will still have the problem with 16:9 content being horizontally squeezed to fit a 4:3 screen though?

I did see that an HDCP defeater would be needed since the Gefen isn’t compliant. Which one of those did you buy?
The Gefen converter should letterbox 16:9 content.

I heard this one works well. Like I said, I haven't tested everything together yet.