Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Projectors

Hello! Im just curious why isn’t there any sections about projectors for home theater or am I just not seeing it?
Old 06-28-2023, 09:42 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
Hello! Im just curious why isn’t there any sections about projectors for home theater or am I just not seeing it?
This forum is primarily a hangout for people who collect vacuum tube TVs from the late 1930s to the late 1970s and retired repairmen. There's a few retro gamers that like newer CRT TVs here and a few of us that tinker with used flat panel TVs and projectors occasionally but this isn't a place where much serious present day home theater conversation happens.

You could try to be that change here or you could go to a forum more active in modern home theater such as the AVS forums.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-28-2023, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
This forum is primarily a hangout for people who collect vacuum tube TVs from the late 1930s to the late 1970s and retired repairmen. There's a few retro gamers that like newer CRT TVs here and a few of us that tinker with used flat panel TVs and projectors occasionally but this isn't a place where much serious present day home theater conversation happens.

You could try to be that change here or you could go to a forum more active in modern home theater such as the AVS forums.
Ok thank you for explaining it. I just thought since the site is called “VIDEOKARMA”, anything related to Video will have a section for it.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:18 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
Ok thank you for explaining it. I just thought since the site is called “VIDEOKARMA”, anything related to Video will have a section for it.
There may be a home theater/projection section on audiokarma (haven't poked around there in a while).
Videokarma used to be part of Audiokarma.... Basically audiokarma developed a thriving community of vintage TV collectors and retired TV repairmen, and it got split off back around 07 when it got too big and the tube audio guys got sick of tube TV guys being aghast whenever they parted out some nice restorable tube TV set to build an audio amp... Because of the demographic of conversations was what it was it largely has trended along the same path it started on.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-03-2023, 02:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Greetings miketuason,

It is true, AVS forum is a good place for projection television. The best IMPO, is here https://www.flatpanelshd.com/flatforums/app.php/rt FLATPANELSHD. There is spirited discussion on this site on your favored topic on the “Flat Panels and digital format” forum. There are a few of us, including myself that enjoy projection television.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Advent A.K.A. Electrohome show up but no others I remember.
Since they all had either a modded Sylvania or Electrohome chassis
tech problems are rare. They were very basic early SS sets easy to fix.
A rich mans set. That means only the rich & very poor bought them.

I worked on a few newer ones, dont remember the names. These were all out like nothing else & hung on the ceiling & gave a HUGE pix. Modules were
upwards of 1 K USD $$$ !!! US built & no holds barred. Real HQ stuff.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 07-08-2023, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Curt Palme has a forum for projection TV, the were real big into the high end CRT projectors some years back. I suppose a few of them might still be upgrading Electrohome Marquees, Sony G90s and the like. Some of those high end CRT projectors will resolve a 1080p picture and look glorious when they do but huge heavy expensive hard to fix/find parts for. I had an Electohome ECP projector that made a great image but ended in flames…..

I just settled for a high end JVC LCoS projector from around 2009 or so…..
Old 07-31-2023, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still have a Sony D50 HTU CRT projector. Hugh footprint and hanging from the ceiling. I keep saying when it dies I'll put it to sleep. Good picture on a 84 inch screen.
My first was a VPH1000 sony from a thrift store. I miss that old guy. Analog convergence and only composite in. Had it a LONG time!
Old 08-01-2023, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
I still have a Sony D50 HTU CRT projector. Hugh footprint and hanging from the ceiling. I keep saying when it dies I'll put it to sleep. Good picture on a 84 inch screen.
My first was a VPH1000 sony from a thrift store. I miss that old guy. Analog convergence and only composite in. Had it a LONG time!
I spent many years working on Sony's. Got tired of spending time in the stratosphere where many ceiling mounted projectors resided ,converging those VPH 1000's, 1030/1031's, 1040,1041's. I will take sitting in a comfortable chair on the ground converging a ceiling mounted D50,G90 and even the VPH1270-72 series anyday. Those were all great projectors in their day.

Last edited by djski; 08-01-2023 at 11:28 PM.