Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca ctc110b

Hi all,

I just wanted to share this new addition to my personal collection. It's a RCA Colortrack with the ctc-110B chassis. I have no idea of the manufacture date, due to the sticker been removed. but I think it might be on the 1980-83 era? Plenty of life left in the in line tube. Please feel free to share your thought about the ctc-110(B) chassis!

I would also like to take the time to ask about the grayscale adjustment procedure, and particularly the "drive" and Bias" issue. I have been reading about the difference between the two, but I must say that it's far from clear in my mind. Could anyone explain to me in "joe average" language what's the difference between the two?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc110B.jpg (92.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
sampson159

does it have a delta gun crt?i had one of these for years as a garage watcher.good set.modular with a fine crt.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, this one has an inline CRT. I have seen this same design with a Delta gun CRT...makes you wonder how long this design was around before they retired it, must have been at least 5-6 years.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have been looking for one of these
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one from late-'79 with a delta gun tube and modular chassis (CTC92, IIRC). They kept that cabinet design for a few years, with different chassis/CRT combinations.
Audiokarma
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to share this new addition to my personal collection. It's a RCA Colortrack with the ctc-110B chassis. I have no idea of the manufacture date, due to the sticker been removed. but I think it might be on the 1980-83 era? Plenty of life left in the in line tube. Please feel free to share your thought about the ctc-110(B) chassis!

I would also like to take the time to ask about the grayscale adjustment procedure, and particularly the "drive" and Bias" issue. I have been reading about the difference between the two, but I must say that it's far from clear in my mind. Could anyone explain to me in "joe average" language what's the difference between the two?

Thanks!
Usually, the model number tag is also inside the set - look for a tag attached to the CRT housing, or along side the chassis. On some sets it may be attached to the IHVT (flyback) frame.

I'll dig through my RCA lit - they have you go through everything before doing a gray scale adjustment - HV, shutdown, then the drive and screen greyscale adjustments.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

My CTC110B parts chassis has a sticker just above where the power cord goes in indicating its manufacture date as being October 1982, which matched the sticker on the back of the set. The sticker on my chassis isn't fully attached; actually there isn't enough room for it to have ever been stuck down completely. That sticker could be floating around inside your set's cabinet. The CRT sticker from my 1978 XL-100 had fallen off.

Funny how RCA switched back and forth between delta and inline CRTs from the late 70s-early 80s. The above mentioned XL-100 has an inline CRT.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recently picked up a 1985 RCA XL100. Digital on screen display. Something special about these old RCAs.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Usually, the model number tag is also inside the set - look for a tag attached to the CRT housing, or along side the chassis. On some sets it may be attached to the IHVT (flyback) frame.

I'll dig through my RCA lit - they have you go through everything before doing a gray scale adjustment - HV, shutdown, then the drive and screen greyscale adjustments.

Cheers,

Hey there F-K,

I looked around inside the TV , saw a lot of sticker , but none with a manufacture date on it. I also saw a butload of part#. What would the television model begin with?

As for the grayscale adjust, I don't have a high voltage probe as of yet, I would simply like to adjust the picture to get rid of the slight green tint it has. But as I don't want to mess things up I was only looking for a fast anwser on how to touch up the grayscale using the drive and bias controls. Any help you can give me will be appreciated!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
My CTC110B parts chassis has a sticker just above where the power cord goes in indicating its manufacture date as being October 1982, which matched the sticker on the back of the set. The sticker on my chassis isn't fully attached; actually there isn't enough room for it to have ever been stuck down completely. That sticker could be floating around inside your set's cabinet. The CRT sticker from my 1978 XL-100 had fallen off.

Funny how RCA switched back and forth between delta and inline CRTs from the late 70s-early 80s. The above mentioned XL-100 has an inline CRT.
I checked around there but could not find any relevent sticker...but I gotta say RCA seemed to just loooove those sticker, those buggers are all around in the set!
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

i have 2 of the same cabinet designs delta crt's both sets have been refurbished including new rca crt's they have a good bright picture on them.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

All CTC110 should be in line jugs.
The cabinet was also used on RCA's last modular chassis,
dont remember the CTC# but saw darn few of em. So
either rare or VERY reliable set.
Model starts with 3 letters such as FGR465W etc.
On RCA CRT bias is same as what others call screen controls.
The drives are to take any color out of the bright areas after setting
the bias. The by the book procedure is to long to type out but
what you can do is :
Mark the 5 controls at 12:00 so you can go back to where you started.
Mess around with them to see the effect & try to improve things
When done one of the bias controls should be CCW.

73 Zeno
Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

The model number is FFR475WA then. Thanks for the tip, I will mark the pots and try to mess with it. Stay tune
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, before I start trying to ajust the AGC on my new Hitachi aquisition, I decided to try and adust greyscale on the RCA CTC110. The TV had a greenish tint, that I quickly ajusted to an almost perfect (to my eyes at least) greyscale.

But to my surprise, I realised that the green bias had to be ajusted almost all the way down while the other guns are ajusted about 3/4 of the way up. Now, that suprised me because they all tested about equal for emission on my B&K CRT tester. Is there something I missed? Why would the adjustment be that low for the green gun while the other are about equal?

To be fair the tester did detect a Heater leakage, that seems to jump above acceptable level from time to time.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM
M is for Memory

Drive circuits aging unevenly, or bad gun optics could be at fault, could also be CRT tester error.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma