Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-20 View Post
Yes. The last image I provided (of a football game) is from a digital converter box capable of playing video off a hard drive. Like the Atari, the image is just small.

Did you try using the crop/zoom function of your DTV box?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Did you try using the crop/zoom function of your DTV box?
My DTV doesn't seem to have that feature. Neither would the old video game, of course. Are you saying I should ignore the problem and just adjust the video source?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

1976 RCA picture problem

Quote:
My DTV doesn't seem to have that feature. Neither would the old video game, of course. Are you saying I should ignore the problem and just adjust the video source?

Not saying to ignore anything, just to be sure you identify the actual cause so you're not barking up the wrong tree. You really need to find some video source that outputs 4:3 format and connect that to your set. Then, you can tell with more certainty if your set is not displaying the signal correctly.

It would be ideal if you have another 4:3 TV so that you can use process of elimination to determine what the culprit is.

Incidentally, what is the make & model of your DTV converter box?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

For gosh sake, three pages and no one has said how to determine if the small picture is the TV or the source? Just turn up the brightness control, and the whole raster will get bright. If the sides, top and bottom are still pure black, it's the TV raster being too small. If light appears in the black areas, then the problem is the source.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for your input, everyone. I took it to a skeptical repair shop for a diagnostic. He seemed more interested in getting the $20 fee, but we'll see if he has anything to say about the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Not saying to ignore anything, just to be sure you identify the actual cause so you're not barking up the wrong tree. You really need to find some video source that outputs 4:3 format and connect that to your set. Then, you can tell with more certainty if your set is not displaying the signal correctly.

It would be ideal if you have another 4:3 TV so that you can use process of elimination to determine what the culprit is.

Incidentally, what is the make & model of your DTV converter box?
The game source is an Atari 2600. It's only capable of 4:3 ratio output. The maker of the digital convertor is Ematic. I assure you the source is not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
For gosh sake, three pages and no one has said how to determine if the small picture is the TV or the source? Just turn up the brightness control, and the whole raster will get bright. If the sides, top and bottom are still pure black, it's the TV raster being too small. If light appears in the black areas, then the problem is the source.
I have adjusted the brightness and other settings. The image is simply small. Even the static screen. See some of the early pictures. Do you have any recommendations for adjustments?
Audiokarma
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: The electronics repair guy called me and said it appears to be a problem with the "flyback" ... this is not a part he can source. What steps should I take now? Is this a part for which I could just pull the parts number and order one on ebay? How would I know a good one from a bad one?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 PM
M is for Memory

Your flyback is fine if you have a picture. It is about the same as saying the CRT is going on a set with a good CRT that you don't want to service...He just wants you to give up on it after paying the fee, without him doing any work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Update: The electronics repair guy called me and said it appears to be a problem with the "flyback" ... this is not a part he can source. What steps should I take now? Is this a part for which I could just pull the parts number and order one on ebay? How would I know a good one from a bad one?
Do you really need a B/W set?
You can drive 100 miles north and pick up 2 really nice 19 or 20" color table models that work perfect, free for the hauling.
Either that or check Craig's list for sets nearer to you.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Earlier in the thread, people suggested the issues could be low B+, and a dirty tuner.

Both of those issues are consistent with the symptoms, and my experience repairing old TV sets. I would never say never, but it seems fairly/extremely unlikely that any of your issues are at all flyback related. Maybe post an ad in the classified section looking for a local tech or forum member to have a look at it? I think a decent tech or even hobbyist could have this diagnosed properly quite quickly.

My only wonder is why someone from Chicago would want an RCA, and not a Zenith or an Admiral
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Almost impossible the FBT is bad. Did you check for cracks on
the main board ? This set is quite simple, dosnt even have a
regulator. if the board is OK I can give you a few voltages to
check & maybe find the problem.

Reason for diagnosis can be many. I could go into that if you wish.
Reason for the $20 is 95% of sets not worth repair are abandoned.
Then HE has to pay to recycle it. thats $10 - $30 around here.
Lastly how many $20 bills do you need to make $50 K a year after
15% SS tax plus state & fed taxes. You would have to gross at least
$70 K. And that dont cover shop expenses.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Then HE has to pay to recycle it. thats $10 - $30 around here.
73 Zeno
LFOD !
Here the disposal fee is collected up front, when you buy a new TV, so old ones are taken for free disposal. That would be extremely annoying for a tech to be stuck with disposal costs.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Earlier in the thread, people suggested the issues could be low B+, and a dirty tuner.

Both of those issues are consistent with the symptoms, and my experience repairing old TV sets. I would never say never, but it seems fairly/extremely unlikely that any of your issues are at all flyback related. Maybe post an ad in the classified section looking for a local tech or forum member to have a look at it? I think a decent tech or even hobbyist could have this diagnosed properly quite quickly.

My only wonder is why someone from Chicago would want an RCA, and not a Zenith or an Admiral
There was a lot of east coast makes sold there as well. Even Hoffman and Packard-Bell, Curtis-Mathes. Crazy!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up my tv from the repair guy. I said, "So, you think it's the flyback?"

He said, "Oh, I know it is! There's sparks shooting out the side of that thing... and it's an old style one too."

I know many here said I should not have a picture at all if the flyback was the problem. Images attached below. Screen images in original post. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7866.JPG (88.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7867.JPG (95.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM
M is for Memory

I see nothing wrong with the fly. ANY non-plastic encapsulated fly from the oldest to the last generation(like that) even bran new and in absolutely perfect condition will arc from the tire to any metal object placed too close.... that is why older sets placed them in carefully laid out boxes to keep things from entering the arcing radius....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-26-2018, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The flyback is bad. If you look in the left bottom corner in the photos you will see the core is cracked.
Audiokarma